Do Battery leads often falter?

doggybear, Dec 6, 12:17pm
Had a problem with my Toyota Camry not turning over and found out the negative was loose and moving up and not making a good contact with the battery. I had the end replaced with a tight new bolt and car been going fine till tonight same problem with no turn over or all dash lights not even displayed. I jiggled the lead and lights come on and eventually started. Would I need to replace the lead itself! How much and is it easy to do! Thanks for any suggestions.

40wav, Dec 6, 6:07pm
Check the other end connection, as well as both ends of the other lead too.

gadgit3, Dec 6, 6:23pm
Sounds like you need a new clamp fitted to the lead. Be round the $40-$50 mark from an auto sparky

kazbanz, Dec 6, 7:51pm
What gadget says is most likely correct. BUT before you do I'd suggest you have a look at what you've got. If the bolt rotted away then likely the clamp has too which is why it isn't tightening. Its also possible that the clamp needs to go further down onto the battery post

the-lada-dude, Dec 6, 10:17pm
terminals !I thought they were called therminals

rsr72, Dec 7, 2:03am
#1- Could be faulty cable-to-terminal clamp connection which easily deteriorate.
How are cables fixed into terminal clamps!
-if clamped in with screw clamp then clean and sandpaper cable end and clamp parts and tighten fully.
-if soldered into terminal then soldered joint has deteriorated and could be fixed by heating with a gas torch, with some more solder to run into joint.
- if crimped joint then only solution could be to try crimping joint tighter with vice-grips etc.

Other solution would be to cut off cable end to bright wires then bolt on an aftermarket replacement bolt-on terminal clamp.

doggybear, Dec 7, 11:22am
Thank You Much appreciated

thunderbolt, Dec 7, 11:24am
Only when fitted to winter batteries.

the-lada-dude, Dec 8, 2:28am
arrrhuh,