1980 Holden Commodore VB engine needed

Page 1 / 3
tamh, Dec 7, 9:45am
Oh the things you get yourself into. My old man's a mechanic - now retired - which means we no longer have the means to get him to just do up everything :)Anyone know where we can get an engine from to start with! I'll go from there.

Holden fans giz a hand x

kingfisher21, Dec 7, 9:57am
4 or 6!

chook90, Dec 7, 10:07pm
VB was either 3.3 (202) or V8, 4 cylinder was not released until VC.

If I remember correctly the VB still used the red motor so by swapping a few ancilliaries over you could use pretty much any 202 from HQ onwards if it is a 6 cylinder one.

splinter67, Dec 7, 10:14pm
Or 8 pick a powertrain anything fits and works.

mugenb20b, Dec 7, 10:16pm
If your old death trap Holden needs an engine, why not just scrap the pos! Buy a new car.

dave653, Dec 7, 11:19pm
Spoken by a typical Honda lover! Or thier kid. schools out remember!

splinter67, Dec 7, 11:23pm
Thanks for that I had to delete it before I sent it

fordkiwi27, Dec 7, 11:37pm
why! so we can all drive pos new jappas!

hyphen, Dec 8, 5:26am
yeah, and you're a wanker

mugenb20b, Dec 8, 6:07am
Yes, but at least they'll be packed with more features and safety equipment. The VB Commodore has got one of, if not the worst crash test rating I've ever seen. Scary.

mugenb20b, Dec 8, 6:08am
Grow up.

un_known, Dec 8, 7:07am
yeh so it'll kill the occupants. its his choice.the mums and bubs will be fine in their 7 airbag korean/euro people mover.you may as well be saying ban motorbikes cause theyre deathtraps too.

ofive, Dec 8, 7:08am
what a dick

theram1, Dec 8, 7:13am
It will be interesting to watch what sort of comments you get if you ever post, imagine if you were the OP and someone described your dads car like you did.

whqqsh, Dec 8, 7:36am
the clue is in the first 3 letters of the name

mugenb20b, Dec 8, 7:58am
This is a message board open for discussion. I only suggested a potential solution to a problem which may not suit everyone, but seems most logical to me.

As for those posters who can't control their emotions over the internet.it's just an old car people.

chook90, Dec 8, 9:03am
Yep, just an old car but a model that holds some bloody cool memories in my case and in their day were more than capable.
See anyone with a half a brain could work on a 202, they were about as basic as an engine could get. The trimatic auto was tried and tested and whilst positively primitive compared to modern autos it did its job bloody well. They handled ok compared to anything else around that time, stopped ok, all round good cars.
No doubt your solution applies to anything more than 5 years old so one might presume you would offer the same advice to someone with a classic mustang, corvette etc in which case I shall refrain from feeding the troll further.

chebry, Dec 8, 7:22pm
But safer and better built than the Jap rubbish of the same era.

jimliz1, Dec 9, 12:18am
If you can I would suggest that you try and source a 3.3 litre (blue motor) as they ran a much more open intake manifold and a two barrel carb.

Was a lot more fuel efficient than the stromberg sp!carb on the 202.

Or you could do what I did when I had a VH commodore back in the day and but a blue head on a red block - worked well apart from changing 2 or 3 water jacket holes.

Also if you rebuild the motor make sure you put an alloy timing gear on the cam shaft not a composite one other wise it will strip after 70-8000km's.

attitudedesignz, Dec 9, 12:48am
Just get a 179 (or even better a 179 HP block, has HP cast on side where 173/179/186/202 normally are, 179 had forged crank, 179 HP had forged crank & higher nickel content block) then whack on some triple Webers.

If you do go the 202 route be sure to include new pistons in the rebuild.

The inlet manifold tilts up towards rear of engine which causes #6 to run lean and piston top breaks off at top ring groove. For some reason the 202s were bad for it.

chebry, Dec 9, 12:58am
Wrong the inlet manifold sits level when the engine is mounted in the car the same inlet manifolds interchange from the 179 of 1963 thru to the last red motor in the VB My EH was on it 3rd engine when I got it both previous 179s had broken pistons at 80 odd thousand miles and the car towed a double horse float from new. Seeing as the only difference between a 186 & 202 is the crank you theory is full of it but true 202s drop piston skirts on original motors and not rebuilts

attitudedesignz, Dec 9, 1:04am
OK, obviously you're a KNAC so i'll let you win.

Having owned 100 red/blue/black powered Holdens in the last 31 years i do have some experience//knowledge, but nevermind.

tamh, Dec 9, 1:47am
You guys are funny. Car enthusiasts. I just want an engine. A good one.

It's a straight 6 cylinder.

To anyone who suggests buying a sensible car - those of us who own V8s Jeeps, 1980 Holdens etc usually own them for a reason. And in most cases we have the Toyota Carib AWD too to do the grunt work.

So once again, does anyone know anyone with an engine that is in really good shape!Cheers!

chebry, Dec 9, 1:53am
attitudedesignz wrote:
OK, obviously you're a KNAC so i'll let you win.

Having owned 100 red/blue/black powered Holdens in the last 31 years i do have some experience//knowledge, but nevermind.[/quot

Then youd know the inlet manifold sits level wouldnt you clown boy stop talking shit

attitudedesignz, Dec 9, 1:59am
Holy cow, you've got an awfully big mouth, but i guess people can do that over the 'net aye BOY.

From all your posts i get the impression you're a KNAC and wouldn't be too surprised to find out your one of idiots who've had their ass kicked out of Firecats by me at some stage.