Odometer corrections

chebry, Dec 8, 9:21pm
Are you meant to inform anyone if the recorded milrage changes drasticly or just explain at next warrant time. The speedo in my 59 Hillman died at 97,000 miles Ive replaced it with one from a spares car I have that only reads 35,000 miles since the car is not for sale Im not trying to defraud anyone, just wondering!

kevymtnz, Dec 8, 9:38pm
car of that age it would not matter just post it up to the next 100k
or see what wof guy says
ive just replaced a dash that has 14,000kms less but again at 318,000kms i dont think it matters to much if it goes bk to 304,000

chebry, Dec 8, 10:06pm
According to carjam my car got a haircut in the 70s when it was a used car so the original reading is hardly accurate, yeah Ill see what the WOF inspector says

kazbanz, Dec 8, 10:29pm
If it was me Id have a close look at the old speedo and see if the odo portion can be swapped over.Experiment with the broken speedo
Frankly though if you are keeping the car who cares!
There will be a big drop in milage on carjam but the wof guys don't care,the rego people don't care. The only person who might care is a potential buyer later on. If you keep the old speedo then you have a clear explaination.
OR-you bite the bullet and make the milage 135k--its a rise that noone will care about

mrfxit, Dec 9, 1:54am
Agree with Kaz, keep the old original speedo somewhere safe "incase" you don want to sell the car at a later date.
It's a petrol vehicle so incorrectOdometer readings are not illegal to alter.
Will look a little strange ion Carjam but it's not illegal in your case.
If it really mattters that much to a potential buyer, then get them to pay to fix the replacement speed.

Print up a note about the replacement unit & where you have stored it & stick that to the inside of the glove box.

supernova2, Dec 9, 7:52am
Pretty easy to open up those old speedos and you could easily wind it forwrd to the correct figure if you wanted.In the past you could get LTNZ to note their records but not sure if that still applies.Give em a ring if you really worried.

msigg, Dec 9, 7:57am
No need to inform anyone. Just replace and move on. simple.

chebry, Dec 9, 11:22pm
Just wondered thats all the recorded mileage is not important to me I was just curious as to the rules

curlcrown, Dec 10, 3:56am
There are no rules regarding it, an odometer is not even a legal requirement, it is not even illegel to wind back the odometer, it is only illegal to missrepresent the reading when selling a vehicle.

jcwholesale, Dec 10, 10:37pm
It will be a 5 digit speedo, and the so called haircut it got earlier in it's life was probably when it rolled over the 99999 mile mark

chebry, Dec 10, 11:08pm
Nar it reverted to 50,000 from about 70,000 The general condition of the mechanicals is good its never really done much mileage