Buying a hilux

Page 1 / 3
davidmoore, Dec 15, 2:18am
have heard all the horror stories injectors etc etcbut am considering buying a 2006 4wd hilux 130kwich motors crapped them selves ! have heard the D4 was ok ,,any thoughts out there !

frytime, Dec 15, 5:30am
make sure injector seats and seals have been done aprox 2 hours and servicing is up to scratch

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 5:48am
I would STRONGLY suggest you do the math very carefully. In past when I have looked at Hilux's of that age it has actually been more economical to buy a brand new (and vastly superior) Ranger or Amarok.

Buying a 6 year old Hilux is a mugs game, and the Hilux has long past had its day and is just trading on the name.

Compare the fuel cost vs the extra finance cost, given you will need a Petrol Hilux to get any sort of reliability usually finance on the extra amountis the cheaper way to go. Also, don't forget about resale when you are done, you can usually quit a ute in 5-6 years with very little depreciation, then you are actually playing the depreciation curve to your advantage not disadvantage as you would be with the Hilux.

But don't take my word for it DO YOUR OWN MATH!
Not everything is better bought secondhand.

lazzo, Dec 15, 5:52am
I largely agree with this. Except I don't agree the Amarok is a better substitute, but I do recommend looking at other brands new or near new over an old Hilux.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 5:57am
Not to take away from your support but the Amarok is a million times better Ute, the Hilux is grossly out dated and unreliable and it drives like the old hasbeen that it is too.

The real question is which is better, the Amarok or the Ranger. I would actually take the Ranger if doing lots of low speed off road stuff (not for traction but for availability of torque just above idle). If like many utes you were spending most of your time on public roads, then I would take the Amarok.

Go and drive them both OP then jump in a Hilux, don't forget to compare the spec sheets as well.

Oh, and don't forget, as far as I am aware there are still two flavours of Amarok in the engine department. Go for the higher output one. Lots of people only drive the low output entry level one, get dissapointed and then dance around saying all Amarok's are rubbish.

EDIT, just had a quick look at what reviews were about. Have a read of this, it might give you some clues. http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/car-reviews/ford/toyota-hilux-vs-ford-ranger-vs-mazda-bt-50-vs-volkswagen-amarok.htm

Not to take away from your support but the Amarok is a million times better Ute, the Hilux is grossly out dated and unreliable and it drives like the old hasbeen that it is too.

The real question is which is better, the Amarok or the Ranger. I would actually take the Ranger if doing lots of low speed off road stuff (not for traction but for availability of torque just above idle). If like many utes you were spending most of your time on public roads, then I would take the Amarok.

Go and drive them both OP then jump in a Hilux, don't forget to compare the spec sheets as well.

Oh, and don't forget, as far as I am aware there are still two flavours of Amarok in the engine department. Go for the higher output one.

Oh, and don't forget, as far as I am aware there are still two flavours of Amarok in the engine department. Go for the higher output one. Lots of people only drive the low output entry level one, get dissapointed and then dance around saying all Amarok's are rubbish.

EDIT, just had a quick look at what reviews were about. Have a read of this, it might give you some clues. http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/car-reviews/ford/toyota-hilux-vs-ford-ranger-vs-mazda-bt-50-vs-volkswagen-amarok.htm

mugenb20b, Dec 15, 6:49am
Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger.

matarautrader, Dec 15, 8:39am
The problem I have is that utes are classed as commercial and diesel commercial vehicles are stung by the goverment.Rego for a petrol ute is $327, for diesel is $590. RUCis $48 per 1000km. This means that for a diesel ute travelling say 10000km per year and getting 10 litres per 100km, compared to a petrol equivalent you are paying an extra $263 for rego and $480 for RUC. Thats an extra $743 per year. It gets to the stage where is actually cheaper to go petrol.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 8:49am
While I see where you are coming from, even at 10'000km a year, you are in the real world still cheaper with the Diesel Ute (work it out for yourself, I did).

Plus, Diesel is what you want when buying new for resale anyway.

AND. 10'000km is very low in terms of annual use, sure some will only drive that much but most new Ute owners will be doing significantly more.

I don't necessarily agree with our RUC and Licensing system. However its important to do the actual math rather than make wild assumptions.

EDIT, just did a bit more math. Using a new Hilux as an example, you would have to be doing less than 4276km a year to make any direct savings through running a Petrol Hilux over a Diesel one. Assuming service costs are the same for both (and service costs on a decent modern diesel should be about the same as a petrol, sometimes they are actually less).

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 8:49am
While I see where you are coming from, even at 10'000km a year, you are in the real world still cheaper with the Diesel Ute (work it out for yourself, I did). Without meaning to be rude some of your assumptions were really silly (like ignoring the difference in fuel consumption and fuel cost).

Plus, Diesel is what you want when buying new for resale anyway.

AND. 10'000km is very low in terms of annual use, sure some will only drive that much but most new Ute owners will be doing significantly more.

I don't necessarily agree with our RUC and Licensing system. However its important to do the actual math rather than make wild assumptions.

EDIT, just did a bit more math. Using a new Hilux as an example, you would have to be doing less than 4276km a year to make any direct savings through running a Petrol Hilux over a Diesel one. Assuming service costs are the same for both (and service costs on a decent modern diesel should be about the same as a petrol, sometimes they are actually less).

r15, Dec 15, 10:29am
you see all these things, yet you see so many with so many km's on them

people have always rubbished surfs too, but most of the ones for sale have 250,000kms on them

austingtir, Dec 15, 10:53am
^^Exactly lets wait and see with these Amoraks if they are still holding together at 250,000kms like my d22 navara will be and not costing a fortune to fix when they do shit the bed.

The Ranger seems alright but its a ford and once they are more than 5 years old and out of warranty they become more of liability than a japanese vehicle.

lazzo, Dec 15, 10:53am
The resale of a vehicle is completely irrelevant, we buy a vehicle to suit OUR needs right now, not someone else's needs when we're finished with it.

drog, Dec 15, 6:32pm
Consider this:If initially you were able to choose from 2 vehicles which footed the bill perfectly, but one had a significantly better resale at disposal time.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 7:02pm
Exactly, the financially savy way to buy a Ute like this is to go new and pick one that not only fits your needs but will sell well when finished.There is no disadvantage to buying diesel, you are generally only going to end up with more power and economy.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 15, 7:08pm
To those trying to insinuate that the VW won't last. Well that's the whole point of buying the VW, its Diesel drivetrain is known to be far more reliable and long lasting than the likes of Toyota's offerings.

That's what happens when you are actually a high volume manufacturer of Diesel engines as opposed to making comparatively very few.

There is no need to "wait and see" as VW is actually the proven quantity here not the Japanese, who's diesel and commercial technology is lacking through lack of investment and volume.

Go and look at VW Transporters, campervans and the likes, 250'000km is nothing to be proud of from a Toyota/Nissan, VW commercial vehicles as used by couriers etc are often still going well into the millions of km's.

People need to look at things from a Global scale, not the silly nonsense wives tales world of NZ. The Japanese haven't had a domestic diesel market for nearly 20 years, couple that with a recession that meant R and D was cut and you are left with the current situation of them being well behind the game. That's why the likes of the Hiace is going out of production to be replaced with a re-badged Fiat and the likes of Suzuki buy in their Diesel engines from Fiat. Even Toyota are now realising they can't compete and are starting to buy Diesels from BMW.

Like it or not, that's the world we live in. You can pretend things are different and make up silly stories all you want, but it doesn't change reality.

mugenb20b, Dec 15, 7:45pm
It's a reskinned Mazda BT50, the latest Ranger uses a 5 cylinder Volvo engine.

austingtir, Dec 15, 8:19pm
I know this and your point is!It doesnt change the fact that they are a liability once they are more than 5 years old.Ford build quality is rubbish.Doesnt matter if its built by mazda as they are all the same thing.

austingtir, Dec 15, 8:21pm
Waffle waffle waffle.When i see an amorak with a million k's on it selling on trademe with no problems i'll agree with you until then its all just waffle everybody knows which utes are proven and which are pretenders.People with any common sense dont buy utes because of all of the tech they might have in them.

Nissan is sourcing their top shelf diesels from renault and mercedes.No difference really between that and the amorak or ranger.The mercedes diesels tend to end up in the infinity range.I really think your the one thats spouting more one eyed rubbish than anyone on here jazz.

drog, Dec 15, 8:29pm
Interesting. On one hand you are stating that Ford ( = Mazda = Japan ) are rubbish, and in the (your) post that follows you appear to be insinuating that if it is not Japanese it is rubbish! Have I got that right!

austingtir, Dec 15, 8:33pm
Mazda and Mitsi are the lesser japanese brands this is fact.I never said that if its not Japanese its rubbish.Your just jumping to conclusions so no you havent got that right.

intrade, Dec 15, 8:45pm
some mitsubishi are actuarly powerd by euro diesel ,same as suzuki vitara diesel 2003 onwards for example run renault . Toyota made its last good diesel in 1987 from there on it was just same designes and slip slop and slap on some more crap all over the engines turning them in to bombs.

franc123, Dec 15, 8:47pm
Good grief fancy a D22 owner saying Rangers are rubbish because they're non Japanese now I've heard it all. Feck some people like making dorks of themselves on here, most vehicles are international creations now, even some D40's are assembled in Europe and use Renault technology, their parts don't all come from the one country. I assume your inferior D22 is petrol and not one of Nissans atrocious YD or ZD diesels that should be avoided like the plague. Get some experience in the repair trade before embarrassing yourself again.

cuda.340, Dec 15, 8:56pm
if you are going to buy an Amorak you would have to buy an auto as their manual transmissions seem to have stuff all off idle torque. i did 2 test drives in these POS's & both vehicals you had to slip the clutch heaps to get it it to move. otherwise you're stalling all the time. AND that was in an empty vehical. then when comparing quality of the build they weren't in my top 3 of all the vehicals i tested. the Ranger was my top choice & what i'll upgrade to in the new year, it had better over the bonnet visabilty compared to the Mazda, the Mazda was too hard to tell where the bumper started & consequently i hit another car on the sales yard just driving out for the test drive opps!.the Navara was ok but didn't handle that well at open road speeds much like the Colorado. sadly after driving a Ranger/BT50 all the other road tested utes didn't measure up for the power these 5 cylinder beasts have, very obvious was the toyota which i test drove immediately after the BT50. so like most people are saying here for Ford/Mazda, they are the peoples choice.