Do any Vans have their motors in the front?

agave1, Dec 16, 4:27am
I like the idea of the motor being between me and the car coming at me, not underneath the floor.Does anyone know what makes/models of vans have their motors in front!thanks.

lazzo, Dec 16, 4:31am
Essentially any van with a 'bonnet' at the front will have a front mounted engine, the rest will be under the front seats. A good example would be the Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter etc, those type of European vans, the Japanese ones will be under the front seats.

intrade, Dec 16, 4:33am
yea load most townace noha vans have it up front my renault traffic has it up front my mercedes mb140 has it also in front . loads more, like vw t4 tdi up front

the-lada-dude, Dec 16, 4:41am
YEP !after a severe frontal impact, most vans end up with the motor in the front

rsr72, Dec 16, 4:43am
And is why Jap vans don't sell in Europe nor the USA,
but then again, third world countries just love 'em.

agave1, Dec 16, 4:48am
thanks.what about the Toyota Estima!

agave1, Dec 16, 4:49am
whoops, just realised lazzo already mentioned Japanese vans.

rob_man, Dec 16, 5:08am
The Estima has the motor in the front, so do a few others.

intrade, Dec 16, 5:09am
the enema has the engine under the seat. the 2002 onwards or so enema hs it up front . and i would stay away form any enemas , as they are a huge mess.

theram1, Dec 16, 5:11am
glad it is spelt with an 'e' not an 'I', or it would really be messy.

lazzo, Dec 16, 5:16am
Do you want a van or a people mover! There's a difference.

flack88, Dec 16, 5:26am
Nissan Elgrand, motors out front,made for the US market ,had to pass offset crash test.Toyota Granvia much the same.

mrfxit, Dec 16, 5:48am
LMFAO . DUH ;-)

mugenb20b, Dec 16, 7:19am
Toyota Granvia, Toyota Litace / Townace ('97 +), latest Hyundai and Suzuki vans, Mitsubishi Delica (L400), Honda Stepwagon, and some others I can't think of.

amberjandal, Dec 16, 7:23am
Transit , Hyundai H100 , DAF , Fiat , Mercedes and VW.

agave1, Dec 16, 7:59am
thanks all.Am looking for a van that I can put a mattress etc in the back to use as a campervan.

franc123, Dec 16, 8:09am
You're onto it.HIACE=High Intensity African Culling Equipment.

pge, Dec 16, 8:22am
You prefer to be crushed by a very hot block of rigid, non-deformable cast-iron, rather than deformable sheet-metal!

Your choice, I guess.

vtecintegra, Dec 16, 9:48am
It should be noted that there is a lot more to how the vehicle performs in a crash than where the engine is.

The Hiace may not be a particularly good performer (the 2005-11 was 3 star ANCAP) but the Ford Transit isn't any better

e. Whereas something like the L300 is definitely a deathtrap (1 star)

whqqsh, Dec 16, 4:58pm
got to admit, ive never been comfortable driving a COE vehicle & have never owned one

stevo2, Dec 16, 5:06pm
We are all different eh.
I've owned several (including the one I own now) and have never really worried about it.

r15, Dec 16, 5:47pm
if you worry constantly about head on's, you'll never enjoy anything

as for a nose to tail hit, give me a hiace or l300 and it probbly wont hurt much when someone hits from behind- just dont be the idiot who didnt pay attention and be the hitter

treachug, Dec 16, 6:15pm
Personal experience or just word of mouth!

mongolia1, Dec 16, 6:47pm