VN V6 needs more.

Page 1 / 2
dave653, Jan 16, 7:44am
3.8, auto, 3.08 diff, my headers, M and H muffler, mandrel zorst, HSV chip. needs MORE for 2nd and 3rd gear passing. Any tips. apart from different diff gears, to help with open road 'getupngo'! Not too keen on opening the motor just yet. 314,xxxkm's, but no noises, no oil usage, regular oil changes and tuning (plug gaps and leads etc) And. have thought about a turbo, but they only work at 'revs', however, the V6 likes revs anyway (which makes me think lower gears would suffice) but it's our going away car and economy is still 'up there'. What about a different manifold, porting (can do it myself) etc! Just trying to keep it cheap as possible.
And please. no jappa thoughts!

andrea_w, Jan 16, 7:54am
Stickers!
Lots of stickers. at 5hp/sticker, there are big gains to be made

Ok seriously, what is the intake system like on your car! (sorry, not too clued up on the VN). If the airbox is a good design, maybe fit a high flow panel filter in there. If the airbox is restrictive fit a POD filter and make a cold air box/cold air intake for it.

That's not going to give you big power gains, but good airflow in and out are important in the quest for power

lordv81, Jan 16, 8:12am
Bolt on supercharger that runs off a button so you can turn it on or off when you need it.Castlemaine rod shop used to do the kits.

mantagsi, Jan 16, 8:21am
if you are feeling mildly adventurous, I would say to look at ditching the slushbox and putting a 5spd in it. The auto 3.8's go nice but they do lack that certain je ne sais quoi. The 5spd ones arent the most pleasant box to shift but boy do they honk along nicely

mantagsi, Jan 16, 8:22am
oh and make sure your coilpacks are all tickety-boo, it is quite suirprising how much of an effect they can have if they are a bit sad

edangus, Jan 16, 8:25am

dave653, Jan 16, 8:33am
Yeah well, that was my first choice. however. it's 'her' car and she don't do manual boxes.

whynot7, Jan 16, 8:35am
#4arnt manual and auto cranks differnt!

richardmayes, Jan 16, 8:35am
v8.

dave653, Jan 16, 8:36am
Had an 'issue' a while ago. bought a new coil pack, but not fitted (still in the shed), as the current one is still doing the job. as tested.

dave653, Jan 16, 8:37am
Mmmmmmmm, but. whos gunna pay for that!

rocky0169, Jan 16, 8:41am
another 2 cylinders

edangus, Jan 16, 8:45am
A nutter (enthusiast).

What about fitting with the Supercharged engine from a Calais!

Surely that would be relatively easy!

dave653, Jan 16, 8:53am
edangus wrote:
Again. whos gunna pay for it! Want proven tricks to increase torque without 'adding' stuff or replacing the engine. The missus has enquired about the V8 but it's not gunna happen.

edangus, Jan 16, 8:57am
Buggar. I got Jack in that department.NOS!

outbidyou2, Jan 16, 8:58am
lets face it, without spending dollars you aint gonna get power gains, V8, turbo or super charger .

dave653, Jan 16, 9:09am
I realise horsepower costs dollars, how many dollars do I have to spend for 'just a little bit more'! If it was the old red six, I know how to make them perform, computers are beyond my reckoning.
Oh, there was no intake restictor either!

magicmat, Jan 16, 9:10am
I watched a vid on youtube where some Aussie guy had modded up his V6 Commie, I cant remember the exact specs but he had bolted turbos to it etc. I asked him why bother with a V6 and why not just start with a big engine! He had been down that road with LS1's and reckoned the V6 produced way more low down, 'off the mark' power for less money. It was bloody impressive anyway. pity I didnt favourite the link.

Either way, its going to cost you a bit to get anything much more significant out of it.

edangus, Jan 16, 9:19am
HAve a look here

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/epages/shop.sf/en_AU/!ObjectPath=/Shops/mace/Products/MEM601

they also have bored out throttle bodies etc. pricing is pretty good

sfw4, Jan 16, 9:44am
new tyres and wind windows up. fart in a jar to save gas. racing stripe and paint it red

dave653, Jan 16, 9:52am
Nah, don't like red!

sfw4, Jan 16, 10:02am
seriously now. if its a series2 engine, check that the throttle body to inlet valley cone spacer has been removed. Lots of people completely forget its there and forgo the 5horsepower it holds back. located between throttle body and inlet manifold

sfw4, Jan 16, 10:03am
is it he post 97ecotech engine that has factory roller rockers! see if they'll fit in

un_known, Jan 16, 10:14am
cam it, big gains to be had for sfa

racetoy, Jan 16, 10:14am
early vn v6 auto and manual cranks are different