Shipping a gearbox from the UK

Page 1 / 2
sarahb5, Dec 26, 10:07am
Anyone done this!The actual gearbox costs peanuts by comparison to the same item in Australia (about $100 in the UK, about $2,000 in Australia) but who would ship it!We have relatives in the UK who we could get it delivered to but onward shipping is the issue.Could you bring something like this back as excess baggage if you were flying back here!

flashgordon_nz, Dec 26, 10:18am
what size gear box are we talking!

00quattro00, Dec 26, 10:22am
I know someone importing a container from the uk in mid feb

arrithedog, Dec 26, 10:31am
Crown relocations might do it. otherwise, it's Fed-Ex. You can get a quoote online from fedex uk.

sarahb5, Dec 26, 8:55pm
For a VW Golf

sarahb5, Dec 26, 8:56pm
So I suppose what I really need to know is how big the box will be in order to get a quote!Will have a look at that today - thanks (Crown Relocations charge like a wounded bull - have got quotes from them before and would've been cheaper to fly there myself and bring it back)

splinter67, Dec 26, 9:08pm
Ring Mainfreight they are cheaper than crown and if you think crown are expensive ring fedex that will give you a good laugh

supernova2, Dec 26, 9:13pm
If you purchasing the box from a wrecker (breaker in UK) ask them to get a freight quote for you.Cost can depend on how soon you want it delivered so ask for all options.
The catch as i see it is - will the 2nd hand box be a good one/correct one etc!If not it could be a very expensive exercise in futility.

What's wrong with your existing bax!

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:33pm
Yes it's the right one - have already checked all the numbers, codes, etc. match what we need.Syncro (sp) has gone in the current one - very hard to get into reverse - a bit like driving my old Morris Minor with the "crash" box.

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:34pm
The quick quote on the Fedex site (although there's no collection point in New Plymouth apparently) was $237 - still cheaper than getting one from Oz and delivery in 4 - 7 days but will try Mainfreight as well.

00quattro00, Dec 26, 9:44pm
What code is the box! I may no someone that has one

sarahb5, Dec 26, 9:52pm
Not sure - it's for a 1997 Mk 4 Golf - that's about as much as I know.Hubby has all the details but it's for the kids' car.

ETA:Code is DFN - 5 speed 1.8

00quattro00, Dec 26, 9:58pm
What engine does it have!

sarahb5, Dec 26, 10:02pm
1.8 Ltr - petrol

00quattro00, Dec 26, 10:04pm
Well good news, its not syncro (4wd) the DFN box is an 020 sereis, used in the mk1, mk2 and mk3 and are easy to get localy, expect to pay around $400 for one. It doesnt have to be DFN code, aslong as its an 020 sereis it will fit

sarahb5, Dec 26, 10:06pm
Not the advice we were given - we were told the most important thing to match is the code.Also haven't managed to find one in this country so where are you looking that we don't know about!

00quattro00, Dec 26, 10:09pm
Well because I know the golfs inside out, I know for a fact that you can use what ever code 020 box. If you want give me a call and ill point you in the right direction. 022 0498023

johnf_456, Dec 26, 10:12pm
Might want to remove those contact details before trademe see it

supernova2, Dec 26, 10:12pm
Not an expert on fiat boxes but don't think you have a syncro problem as there wont be a syncro on reverse.Have you had the clutch adjustments checked and is the gearbox oil the correct oil for your particular gearbox!Is the shifting problem present on erey gear or just some gears!

From what you have said it sounds to me - after reading Quattro's comments - as if your garage is treating you like a mushroom or they simply have no idea what they are doing.

00quattro00, Dec 26, 10:29pm
Sorry I read your earlier post and thought you had a syncro golf, ie a 4wd golf. But the rest of what I said is still correct.

It will be the reverse idler gear thats destroyed, its realy common to happen. and the bits end up going thri the diff and then you have a nice hold in the case and your diff trying to escape out of that hole, makes a right mess

sarahb5, Dec 26, 10:29pm
I'm just a woman OK and blonde.I didn't say it was a syncro problem - I said it felt like that, the reverse bearing is shot and the syncro is worn/wearing out.Reverse is worst, haven't taken it to a garage - friend is a VW mechanic - I think he knows what he's talking about since he's actually seen and driven the car which, no disrespect, no-one on here has.We are happy to do the leg work and find a gear box but just need to know where to start looking because no-one we've tried around NP has what we need.

And everyone we've spoken to (breakers in the UK, wreckers here, mechanics, etc) say the important code is the DFN and that's what's in the manual as the gear box code as well - no mention of 020 or anything like that.

sarahb5, Dec 26, 11:42pm
Sorry in hindsight my last post sounds a bit snarky - thanks for your help quattro

franc123, Dec 27, 12:02am
Thats cheap, I would go for that.

supernova2, Dec 27, 12:32am
that sounds very cheep to me.Is it perhaps UK pounds rather than NZ dollar!Also did you get the weight correct!Just asking.Also don't forget you might have to pay GST, duty etc at this end.On the other hand you should get a VAT refund at the UK end.

sarahb5, Dec 27, 12:40am
Yes it was in $$$s, I estimated weight to be approx 20kg - probably an over-estimate, yes I know about duty (worked out on the total cost of the item including freight if it's over $400), yes I know I won't have to pay VAT.