IMPORT FROM JAPAN-----

Page 1 / 3
ptda, Jan 4, 9:44am
My Wife is Japanese, My 3 boys were born in Japan and I was just there a few months ago and go back at least once a year. All my wifes family and all our good friends live there and if there was a problem with radiation and everyone was glowing in the dark, I think the whole world would know and not just a few silly clowns rantings on trademe messageboards.
I thank you not to sling mud and turn this into a petty cat fight like you all seem to enjoy, Keep to the facts and not the personal attacks as I am not the only one on here with 2 memberships to Trademe and my wife has 1 also, I spoke to trademe months ago and they are not bothered by my having 2 accounts as there is a reason for it nor are they bothered by my wife having an account too, At least I don't hide the fact that I have the multi-membership names unlike many others on trademe. I could name quite a few in here with multi memberships that you all don't even know about and those members hide themselves like the snakes they are, I am not one of them, I am upfront and truthful.
Now the Japan FACTS:
I know the facts first hand as to what it really costs to export a car from Japan, I did it in Japan and lived there while dealing with NZ dealers and private buyers for 10 years and I still do it for my friends at no charge now for the past 3 years since returning to NZ as I have it all down to a fine art to still remain the shipper/export agent myself, even though I am not in Japan I still do the whole process online. So you keep telling yourself that you are getting a good deal and keep believing the bullpucky that your agents tell you about costs, because that is all it is, Bullpucky to take more money from your wallet and feed his wallet well.

master-trader, Jan 4, 11:10am
Is that 20 -30 cars a month or $20-$30 K !If it's cars thats quite interesting, nearly equates to one a day. For every car that gets sold and goes onto the road here (eg one that you sell) how many do you think come off (eg deregistered, written off etc) in a month, or ven a yearly figure if anyone knows., or do you think its the opposite and more come on than go off !

master-trader, Jan 4, 11:13am
$2.5 ! approx ! What condition was this in !

master-trader, Jan 4, 11:21am
So for those providing input in this are we ale to lock in some firm(ish figures) of what one could expect on top of the car price ! I have seen the original post from Kabanz, butwould be keen to hear more. I looked into doing this 7+ years ago and have only recently recontemplated it.a few things have changed in that time though.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 11:16pm
20-30 cars per month imported.
Roughly speaking the deregistration level is equal to the number of fresh imports. Being second hand and new cars.
Imports are slightly more every year than derego'd cars but it also seems to be inline with our population increase.
Last year was slightly funky because of the new import law mucking up the first three months.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 11:21pm
Im sorry I just had a quick look.at a couple of auctions that came up.
From memory they were grade 3.5 cars.

kazbanz, Jan 4, 11:28pm
Ok some figures are fixed in stone -The actual freight cost can be given so that number would be fixed
The exchange rate is constantly changing so the actual cost of the car in NZ$ only becomes fixed once you pay.
Or you could forward order roughly the amount of yen you want
If you were serious about this I'd say now is a really good time because the dollar is the highest against the yen its been in a few years (current exchange rate is 72 today-ie $1.00 buys 72 yen -a more normal rate is the low 60's)

savanna71, Jan 4, 11:49pm
I would have to agree with PTDA i have just come back from Japan in march and made a stop in at Fukushima for two days just to see the extent of the disaster, and from an outside perspective you wouldnt even tell, there certainly isnt any doom and gloom or mass testing going on, appeared life as normal and we got as close as we could on our way to Sapporo

oaic1, Jan 5, 12:43pm
A lot of the statements made here are untrue and/or innacurate.
And, yes , I have "been there, done that", so I speak from 15 years experience and my most recent visit there was 4 weeks ago.

1) "I use an agent in Japan that costs me NZD $150, However there is port charges in Japan that cost approx NZD $160 and truckage to port that cost NZD $350 so total in japan costs I pay are $760."

A Joe public NZ type customer is going to be charged minimum Y80,000 for a one off order. Nobody will do it any cheaper. That's $1100 in today's money.

2) "It is possible to ship parts inside the car but inner cargo is not insured"

Yes,you can but it's a total lottery as to whether you will actually receive them or not. If things go missing don't expect any accountability from anyone in the shipping process. They will all point the finger at each other and nobody ever takes responsibility or admits to anything. Ever.

3) the cost to deregister a car in Japan is either free or at the most about 20 cents for the form(sorry I don't remember which). You just take in the number plates with the cars registration papers to the vehicle registration center and fill out a form, hand it in and the dereg papers or Export cert(if it's being exported) is usually given to you in less than 5 minutes."

Wrong. Nothing is free in Japan. You can't get anything for 20 cents either. And nothing happens in less than 5 minutes. There are companies that provide a "standing in line service" at the vehicle registration office for those who don't have the time or inclination to do so. To personally dereg a car in a big city you will write off at least 2 hours, depending on how far away the nearest office is.

4)"The radiation problem is getting worse, not better in Japan. Most of the country is affected."

This statement is complete bollox.

5) "even though I am not in Japan I still do the whole process online"

No, you don't. You can buy a car on the internet but you can't dereg and ship a car online. Every official transaction involves stamps, certificates and lots of forms. You cannot do any government business in Japan online.

6) "I know that you can get a tidy GTR for $4000 to $6000 from auction"

No, you can't. $4-6K buys you a piece of shit that's been butchered. A "Tidy" R32 GTR will cost you $8-10K minimum.

7) "Landing a GTS-T for around $4k is very possible."

Yes it is, but, why would you bother!. For $5000 you can easily buy one here that is registered, on the road. It's a no brainer.

wsd, Jan 5, 4:00pm
I agree with pretty much every thing you have said and I admit to being wrong about the price for the export cert as I do very few of them per year. When I stated that once I hand the forms in to the staff the export cert is handed to me in less than 5 mins that was pretty much the case I have experienced.But I've always done it in Nagano so not exactly a "big city" and never really a line to stand in so a "standing in line service" is never needed.Also stating that nothing is "Free in Japan" in far from correct as I would have received more free stuff in my 15 years in Japan than I would have in N.Z.
But every thing else you have said I would say is spot on.

kazbanz, Jan 5, 7:51pm
So basicly AS I STATED RIGHT AT THE START
a PRIVATE BUYER would still be paying the following costs over and above the auction price.
1)agents fees $1200 roughly-- workingon80000y at 65 exchange rate
This pays for all the paper war in Japan INCLUDING the radiation scanning that 3 months ago was still mandatory for all exports.
2) freight to your door. $1500 (roughly)
3)GST on the purchase price. work on 16% of purchase price and agents fees combined.
This is an area you can't fix in stone at purchase because import duty exchange rate is fixed for aprox 10 day periods.-16% will allow some wriggle room
so say its a $4000 car in Japan
total car cost at your door would be about $8450
Really the only difference between a rego'd and unrego'd car would be compliance costs and rego.
a 92 skyline manual 2.0l GTS4 sold for 205yen
Keeping in mind though that is a 20 year old car that has been owned by a sucession of Jap boy racer types.
So I'd be looking at the local market first to see what kind of car 8500 buys

tigra, Jan 5, 8:32pm
Dont you have to pay GST on the shipping and insurance!

master-trader, Jan 5, 10:19pm
So what of sites such as http://www.carwebs.co.nz !

I know there are more but this just coms to mind first. How 'safe' do people feel they are to deal with (not that site specifically , but the NZ car importer sites in general) ! Or is it better to locate a 'friend' who has access to the auctions and knows the procedures and get them to do it for you !

Also, for 4000 yen (as used in the example above), does it get you what we'd believe to be a $8500 on our market or would you think it gets you something worth more on our market !

As in , if the 4000 Yen car after shipping and costs comes to 8500 NZ$ , wouldn't a car of such value be sold at more on a NZ lot as it has to cover wages, site lease, advertising blah blah .

and what of importing Euro's ! I realise they don't necessarily come out of Europe, but does the procedure incur any different costs or formalities !

ptda, Jan 7, 7:36am
When I was in Japan I charged joe public 65,000 yen and that covered truckage to port, TRS port charges and purchase of the car, all documents done to export the car including dereg, If I was still in Japan my charge would still be 65,000 yen as nothing has changed in the past 3 years and out of that 65,000 yen I was left with about 30,000 yen after all costs, These days I do it all for FREE to those I like as long as they pay the costs. The $150 I pay these days is to my friend in Japan who looks at the cars and drives them back to his yard for cleaning prior to tow truck pick up. I also arrange the de-reg through a shaken paperwork company whop charges 1600 yen for an export de-reg. So don't tell me what I am and aren't doing, Because your statements garbage to call me a liar. I do it and I know what I pay. I have most likely done more cars for export out of japan than you have had hot dinners.

carstauranga001, Jan 7, 7:55am
If your claims are true you made a lot of money. What happened to it!

kazbanz, Jan 7, 9:00am
Ohh please don't. That corolla thing will start all over again.

oaic1, Jan 8, 1:37am
I never said you were not paying that. I said that any agent in Japan will charge Y80,000. You are NOT in Japan. You also say you will do it for free so you are not really a professional.you are a hobbyist. In that case I'm doing 30 units a month.will you export them for free too! I don't need to pay $150 to your mate and I get a much better deal on trucking than you do so can I send all my cars through you at a cost of Y1600 each! I promise to be your friend and agree with you that old 1400 corolla's are worth $20k. As for the hot dinners.another statement that is pure bollox.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:02am
Ive read through alot of previous message boards and I havent come across one that answers this for me (feel free to link me if you know this has been answered!) but my partner looking at importing a car from Japan. The difference!

He DOES NOT want it to be registered on the road! He's getting to the stage were he needs a track toy AND a road car as its getting expensive certifying and modifying his main mode of transport, And he has been in trouble before for using his toys on his road before (afew times).

The best option looks like to be import a car he can take to the track on weekends. We have heard you can get a non complied car like we are looking for for less than $4k (without shipping, etc) and looking on here people want $8k to $10k for similar cars. I guess because the sorts of cars he would want are all written off or rare. Or stolen and stripped.

So we are wanting to know, can you buy a deregistered car from Japan, and bring it here without the intention of putting it on the road! Or does it have to be chopped up and classed as spare parts! Any help would be good, or any advice from someone who has imported a car JUST for a toy would be great!

kazbanz, Dec 28, 6:03am
Your partner would still be paying the following costs over and above the auction price.
1)agents fees $1200 (roughly)
3)GST on the purchase price. work on 15% of purchase price and agents fees combined.
Really the only difference between a rego'd and unrego'd car would be compliance costs and rego.
then again 4k is 280000yenso it buys a lot of uncomplyable sylvias or skylines

kazbanz, Dec 28, 6:03am
Your partner would still be paying the following costs over and above the auction price.
1)agents fees $1200 (roughly)
3)GST on the purchase price. work on 15% of purchase price and agents fees combined.
then again 4k is 280000yenso it buys a lot of uncomplyable sylvias or skylines
I just had a quick lookattodays auctions
a 92 skyline manual 2.0l GTS4 sold for 205yen
92 gtst manual sold for 180yen(divide that by 65 to get that in dollars)

niss4, Dec 28, 6:14am
Theyre the sorts of cars hes after, Thanks :) you wouldnt also know any agents in nz (Christchurch perfered) would you!

kazbanz, Dec 28, 6:17am
Im sorry I don't know dealers south of wellytown.

ptda, Dec 28, 6:18am
You can import anything you want, You do not have to have it complied and can import it just to be a toy as you put it. I use an agent in Japan that costs me NZD $150, However there is port charges in Japan that cost approx NZD $160 and truckage to port that cost NZD $350 so total in japan costs I pay are $760 on top of the car price and then shipping at $1600 + GST on car price paid in Japan. so a $4000 car would cost approx $6,960 landed in NZ delivered to your door.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:21am
Oh thats ok what ones do you know of! We dont mind the travel for the right car :)

ptda, Dec 28, 6:21am
You don't need an agent in Christchurch to import a car for you. It simply gets delivered to christchurch and all the paperwork could be done in India for all they care.