IMPORT FROM JAPAN-----

Page 2 / 3
niss4, Dec 28, 6:24am
Wow, thats still alot cheaper than we were thinking. Where were you going through! Are the agents local to NZ and JP! How long does it take to get here roughly

ptda, Dec 28, 6:25am
I was a dealer in Japan for 10 years and exported cars to almost every country in the world and I still have all my Japan auction memberships and still buy and export cars out of japan for many people, the only difference these days is that I don't charge my fees anymore because now I just do it as a hobby.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:26am
Do you check the car over personally or do you have contacts in JP that do it for you! Ive heard MAF go over imports with a fine tooth comb and try to fine you even for a leaf if they find one

ptda, Dec 28, 6:27am
It depends on ship schedules for how long it takes but normally from 6-8 weeks and these days, I used to use Kiwi Car Carriers for NZ importers but they have gone now and I am using Mitsui shipping now which is a bit dearer than armacup but they take more care of your car.

ptda, Dec 28, 6:29am
Maf check the cars in Japan but with Mitsui that charge is set and that is a good thing. I have really good dealer friends in Japan that check my cars over for me at the auction, I buy them myself off my own membership online on the Japan auction sites.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:33am
If you dont mind me asking what sites do you use when you browse through cars!

ptda, Dec 28, 6:35am
When I was living in japan and had my dealer yard there I was buying GTS-T skyines for less than NZD $1500 I know that you can get a tidy GTR for $4000 to $6000 from auction, However most of them have had collision repairs at some stage but most are fixed to a high standard too. A non repaired one goes for mush more at auction.

ptda, Dec 28, 6:37am
I use my own auction membership sites, These sites can not be browsed by non members due to being able to bid and buy the cars off those sites. It took me 5 years to get my auction membership in Japan and it was very very hard to get that membership.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:38am
He would be after a turbo skyline, silvia, or similar. So if ya picked up a GTST at auction for say 1.5knz the total cost to our door would be less than 4k! And are they original condition or modified

ptda, Dec 28, 6:42am
can't say what condition a car would be in as every car differs and until the actual car to be bidded for is in the auction it would be what ever that car is, is what you get. I bought many modified and un-modified skylines in Japan and modified if done with good gear goes a bit higher in price. Landing a GTS-T for around $4k is very possible.

niss4, Dec 28, 6:54am
Thanks for being so helpful :) another question, how are they shipped! are they in a container or driven onto a ship! Or is that up to you (or the agent if you go through one) And can you send it back WITH parts or do you have to send the additional parts seperatly!

ptda, Dec 28, 7:00am
cars are shipped to NZ by ROLL ON/ ROLL OFF, It is possible to ship parts inside the car but inner cargo is not insured and parts have to be listed on shipping docs for customs and shipping charges such as GST.

niss4, Dec 28, 7:36am
Awesome thanks! So, where would he start! How would he go about finding someone to import it for him! Thanks

kazbanz, Dec 28, 11:53pm
NZD $150 agent fees! Who pays the 45000yen (aprox $700)deregistration costs! -or do you just ship cars that arent derego'd in Japan or already derego'd in japan!
My agents fees of 80000 yen cover derego costs. The now compulsary radiation decontamination testing,shipping to port and port clearance in Japan.
The $1500 freight I quoted was Jap port to the OP's door in Christchurch --ie higher shipping cost to south island

austingtir, Dec 29, 4:02am
Seems like a waste of time to me for a car in that price range you can find something here for less if you look around especially if you can find something de-reg already maybe needing slight work.The cool 1990's toys in japan are almost appreciating now as theres very few of the nice ones remaining.

westwyn, Dec 29, 6:25am
+1

Skylines and Silvias (at least, good ones) have increased in price in Japan a bit, as the 90's "hero" cars vanish from the roads. Average examples maybe not, but then, after all the sight-unseen hassle of importing, do you want to settle for average! GTRs are now a bit of a minefield, more often than not, those you find in Japan have been RBA'd (rolled, bowled and a*seholed), repaired to what appears to be a reasonable superficial standard, but under the skin. same with rust now, these cars are coming up to 20 years old, and if you're looking to build a track toy, structural condition is VERY important. For an R32 or S13/14, I'd check what you can find locally first- try the auctions, even damaged vehicle auction, tenders etc, for a stolen recovered or lightly damaged example, you'll be surprised what you'll turn up, and the bonus is you get the chance to check it over really carefully before buying. I wouldn't judge their value by the list prices on Trademe, most owners listing here have highly inflated ideas on the worth of their pride and joy, and as they say, it costs nothing much to go fishing.
If you DO decide to import, you don't need a deregistation certificate HERE, since you're not complying it, however, I STRONGLY suggest you make sure you get one anyway, since the cars you are looking at are most likely to be eligible, or will be soon, for a Special Interest Vehicle compliance process, making it worth a lot more down the track if you do decide one day to sell it. I also can't guarantee you don't need to go down the deregistration process at the Japan end since technically, as a driving vehicle, it still needs to 'exit" the fleet there formally to satisfy the ELV levy collection scheme. Radiation checking is not mandatory (and a waste of time now anyway) nor is an odometer check (although again, a Skyline with a changed cluster from 180kmph to 320kmph is technically, a banned import subject to Crown forfeiture, but the chances of it being seen is limited) but the MPI inspection and NZTA entry pre-clearance is required no matter what, and is subject to a charge.
Bottom line: Do your homework carefully, be aware of those regulations that pertain to importation irrespective of what you plan to do with it, and again, look what you can find locally before committing to something you can't see. Most everyday cars aren't a problem, after all, as importers, we buy sight unseen every week- but for a one-off example, of an older, accident and rust-prone car that has had twenty years of abuse, you want to tick all the boxes. It's your money!
Cheers, good luck!

niss4, Dec 29, 7:11am
Thanks for your opinion :) But we after his current car is certed and sold, we have decided we will most likely import, unless a good deal comes up in nz.

wsd, Dec 29, 11:25am
If your agent is charging you ¥45,000 to deregister a car then he is ripping you off. I havent done one for about 6 months and in the past I only did about 2 or 3 a year for my personal exports but the cost to deregister a car in Japan is either free or at the most about 20 cents for the form(sorry I don't remember which). You just take in the number plates with the cars registration papers to the vehicle registration center and fill out a form, hand it in and the dereg papers or Export cert(if it's being exported) is usually given to you in less than 5 minutes. It is impossible to ship a previously registered car out of Japan with out the export certificate. Its a very easy and simple process.

ptda, Dec 30, 5:18am
It costs 1600 yen ( approx NZD $25.00 ) to obtain an export dereg paper from the shaken office in japan, if the car still has rego left on it in japan the person doing the dereg if doing the paperwork correctly would be able to get money back from the rego being cancelled. Don't try to tell me what it costs to export a car out of japan as I lived there for 10 years and it was my primary business as I owned a dealer yard in Japan and exported thousands of cars worldwide from Japan. Your Agent is a rip off if he is telling you that it costs $700 to derego a car.hahahaha, What a joke !

666steve, Dec 30, 8:46pm
What an odd statement.

Why do you think radiation checking is not required!

Any vehicle fresh from Japan ( new or used) should get the most stringent radiation checks available.

chebry, Dec 30, 8:53pm
Leave it in Japan let them crush their own scrap

austingtir, Dec 30, 8:54pm
They checked in japan anyway before export NZ just rechecks some of them to make sure.They havent found anything of note yet.

Its not in Japan's intrest to be flogging off radioactive cars to countrys that might test them.

666steve, Dec 30, 10:34pm
The radiation problem is getting worse, not better in Japan. Most of the country is affected.

You would want to be bloody sure that the checks are done properly.

ptda, Dec 31, 9:31am
what a load of garbage. There is not a country wide radioactive problem in japan, can't believe some of the hogwash that comes from some on this messageboard. Insanity is all that seems to dwell in here at times.

jmma, Dec 31, 9:48am
Is Insanity is something you are an expert at!