Good car polish ? ?

henreitta, Dec 28, 11:44pm
What is a good brand / quality car polish for modern car paint ( clear coat ) I think its called. its an every day use vehicle,
Was going to go to supercheap auto. appreciate your thoughts
as to which to use

kcf, Dec 28, 11:47pm
I use Mothers polish, it's good stuff.

twink19, Dec 29, 12:02am
mothers, or meguires

kazbanz, Dec 29, 12:14am
What is the year/make model!
I agree with the posters above in principle but some late model stuffdoesn't like being polished> Its had some extra coat put on it

icemans1, Dec 29, 12:19am
meguires, it lasts for about 6mths

henreitta, Dec 29, 1:05am
Yea,sorry,I should have included that first. 1999 mazda demio, paint work seems to be in fairly good condition, few minor scratches .Paint on bonnet is cracking a bit ( used to be called " crazing " ) i think

ducatiss, Dec 29, 1:43am
Yeah, like my wifes Yaris - doesnt need polished as its fully protected said the salesman. lol after just washing and nothing else you should see all the marks in the paint - put several coats of wax on and have managed to halt the damage. Mind you, these new water based environmentally friendly paints are rubbish. Fade and chip quickly.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 1:49am
I find the polishes/wax's etc you get at the likes of Supercheap/Repco are just over priced rubbish.

I prefer to buy from the automotive paint wholesalers, the only catch with that is their wax's don't generally contain silicone. However given the excellent performance of the likes of Farecla Wax Top I don't feel the need for it.

Remember too, if you want the last word in protection and beauty for your paint you really need to get a "read" on what it is your paint requires.

Depending on whether it's lightly scratched, fading, full of contaminants etc will depend on what needs doing to it to bring it up to scratch. Rail dust for example will tend to cause little rust spots unless its removed with a clay bar before sealing the paint again with a good wax. A clay bar will not however remove scratches, you would want cutting compound for that, again followed with a wax or possibly even a finishing compound and then a wax.

Hope that doesn't confuse matters for you.

BTW, if you are just wanting some quick/easy protection and are not too worried about improving the finish, I would suggest you buy some sort of wax/protectant.

henreitta, Dec 29, 2:01am
Seems like I better give all this more thought.! !, thanks everybody for your comments
Wish you all a happy new year.C & S

arrithedog, Dec 29, 6:28am
MER, now available in NZ, brought over by some pommy fella I believe. I had mother bring me 2 litres over. about a month before it went on sale here. Oh well, should last me a while.

gammelvind, Dec 29, 6:31am
Farecla
3M
Kemo-pro
All of these companies make good auto polish.

mark.52, Dec 29, 8:04am
If you want to do it properly, there are three steps.
-Wash the car, with a good car wash. (Mothers/Meguires.) Chamois it dry.
-Polish it. Polish removes a micron or two of the surface, faded paintwork. If you use a cutting polish, it removes more. That would be good for deteriorated paint, or paint with a lot of fine scratches in it. (Stone chips are something else. You fill those, after preparation, with matching paint, applied carefully with a toothpick.you need more info for that job, if required.)
-Wax it. Good wax contains carnuba wax. This is one of the more hard waxes around. The difference between wax and polish is that polish does just that, and in the process confers some protection. Wax only has a small "shininess" effect, but offers a lot of protection.

Ideally, you'd do this twice a year, according to some. I think once every two years is probably about right, depending on the sort of wear and tear your paint gets. That depends on dust, weather/sunshine severity, how often you wash it, how near the coast you are, etc.

Allow a half day to do this properly, or a full day if you like to take your time. Use recommended wash/polish/waxing cloths. Don't try polishing the rubber bits. Use a different product for those.

icemans1, Dec 29, 1:37pm
i wouldn't touch a silicone wax with a ten foot barge pole

Molecules from silicone polish will undergo a process called ???drifting??? or ???drift??? causing the silicone to embed into the painted surfaces and penetrate into the pores of the paint. This silicone penetration into the paint causes severe problems during repainting or touch up process.

splinter67, Dec 29, 6:43pm
Only if the painter doesn't do the prep work correctly if the prep is good then there are no problems at all

gammelvind, Dec 29, 6:58pm
Great in theory, trouble is virtually every cars sales/groomer uses silcone product because it looks good. Any car painter can get rid of it as he expects to find it.

steptoe72, Dec 29, 7:42pm
3mImperal Hand Glaze.nothing else comes close.

steptoe72, Dec 29, 7:43pm
Silcone like wax can go right thru the paint and into the steel.Nightmare stuff.

grangies, Dec 30, 6:01am
LOL. What kind of silicone does that, unless you drill holes through the paint to the sheet-metal!

gammelvind, Dec 30, 6:06am
Wow didn't know that!
I sell auto paint every day, now I have been only doing it for the past 9 years so maybe I missed that one. Must warn my customers when I get back to work on the 14th.
Please don't be so silly.

gammelvind, Dec 30, 6:12am
Excellent if not a very dated product. Very good on laquers, has a bit more of a challenge on more modern harder 2K finishes as it has fillers in it, these look good for a while as those very fine scratches are filled rendering them invisible only to reappear after the first few rainy days. There are compounds in the 3M range which are designed for more modern finishes.