I was sold a calcium battery for my EL Falcon

laneyjan, Jan 1, 11:38pm
Unbeatabull says on another thread that my EL Falcon wont keep it charged.it cost 172 dollars .what should i do! take it back or what! it was sold to me as my Falcon alternator packed up and car running very badly as original battery was only 7.2 volts.new battery got me home but is now fairly flat after 100 KMs with crook alternator.I put it in my 94 Honda Accord to charge and IT is now running rough.not charging it either I think.what should I do with new calcium battery! I will put original Honda one back in it and that car should be OK.

cjdnzl, Jan 2, 12:20am
Google calcium batteries to see what you are talking about.Basically lead-calcium batteries need a higher charging voltage to fully charge them. Various cars charge at voltages ranging from 13.8 to about 14.4, but Pb-Ca batteries need 14.8 volts for a full charge.

laneyjan, Jan 2, 1:07am
so will my EL Falcon be able to use this battery when I get the alternator fixed or will it not be able to. and in which case was I was sold something not suitable for my car! a simple answer for a simple car owner please. Or can I use it in my other car a Honda Accord 1994!

pickles26, Jan 2, 1:11am
It will be fine if you use your car regularly and not let it sit unused weeks on end.

laneyjan, Jan 2, 2:31am
thanks pickles

a.woodrow, Jan 2, 2:57am
Who did you buy the battery off, and did they say it would be ok for your vehicle! As mentioned, your alternator may not have enough output to reliably charge the calcium battery, however you may be able to get your alternator repaired and modified to suit, or an uprated alternator. In any case, putting a flat battery into another car to charge it up isn't a very good solution, you'll need to put the battery on a charger

pickles26, Jan 2, 3:13am
His vehicle has a Mitsi alt the reg will put out sufficient voltage to charge the batt. The regs do not come in different set voltages and can not be adjusted. Providing the wiring between the batt and alt b+ is good there should be no issue

laneyjan, Jan 2, 3:28am
hey thats helpful guys .I can understand that

laneyjan, Jan 2, 3:31am
will be going to the auto electrician asap when they open again.better get my 3 diamond alternator repaired rather than buy one at wreckers eh!

clark20, Jan 2, 4:41am
The problem is when the battery is not fully charged to start with, as long as it is not allowed to go flat the Falcon will keep it charged. It just needs the right charge to start with.

http://www.batterytown.co.nz/#/content/204

This is good info

meathead_timaru, Jan 2, 4:45am
It will never be fully charged again after starting without the correct voltage regulated alternator, which is higher voltage for calcium batteries.

meathead_timaru, Jan 2, 4:46am
Particularly:
Insufficient charging voltage will cause poor battery performance
Insufficient charging voltage will cause short battery like (sic)

clark20, Jan 2, 4:51am
Sorry, I was only quoting the experts (Auto electricians)

meathead_timaru, Jan 2, 4:57am
So. quote them, don't just link to a generic page.

There's no specific mention of calcium batteries on that page anyway. But they do sell chargers specifically suitable for charging calcium batteries. The fact they make the distinction makes should make it clear there are requirements specific to them.
http://www.batterytown.co.nz/#/content/3035

pickles26, Jan 2, 5:12am
If the battery was charged by the alternator from a el on a bench then you may see problems. When this battery is shifted into real life applications i.e a car theseconditions changed and new variables are added in. The science is still the same but the voltage needed will change due to the environment the car is used. Ill keep it simple but the calcium added to the battery has several purposes. One of those is to limit gasses. With the gasses created limited in the charging process it creates new problems which is acid stratification. (because there is no bubbling of the electrolyte to stir it up)So basically the battery is only charged in the bottom 80% . This is overcome by the the recommended higher charge voltage. however when thie battery is mounted in a vehicle, the vehicle is subject to vibrations and bumps which stirs up theelectrolyte in the battery reducing the need for a higher voltage. Also n.b 90% of batteries sold are calcium for there superiority. Charging systems since the 90,s on most vehicle are capable of a suitable voltage. very few vehicles charge higher than 14.5 with no problems, also alot of vehicles also cut back the voltage to reduce emissions and fuel.

pickles26, Jan 2, 5:19am
also depending on manafacture to recommended voltage i have seen 14.2 to 14.8

clark20, Jan 2, 5:37am
I will tell them that.

I only added the web site after the answer, I do not rely on Google for my answers, but it does help.