Door lock on my ranch slider.

bjdw, Jan 2, 4:39am
The guy at Bunnings told me you can't just get a barrel, you have to buy a whole new handle for a round $130.Is this right!Would it be cheaper to get a locksmith to re-key the lock (if possible)!

(I'm talking about a housee door, not a car door by the way)

40wav, Jan 2, 4:43am
I would not place any faith in anything told to me by a Bunnings worker. I guess this is why you're asking here though, so good for you. I cant answer your question but would be surprised if you cant just change the barrel, and I would be asking elsewhere (even M10, our one has a key cutting and lock section). Good luck.

msigg, Jan 2, 4:53am
Mitre 10 have those door locks as well, yes you can buy the whole lock, cheaper than that price you got.

bjdw, Jan 2, 4:56am
We don't have a M10 any more, it was painted green and turned into a Bunnings a couple of months ago.But I'll try Placemakers and the local locksmith tomorrow, both of whom were closed today.

Some little b****** has a key for my flat (probably one of my son's "friends") and my TV and Xbox got ripped on Monday.Gotta change the lock before I can leave the house unattended :-(

tmenz, Jan 2, 4:57am
I recently got a key cut for a ranchslider lock - took out the barrel and took it to Allsafe Security locksmiths - $15 for the first key and $10 for the second - took all of 5 minutes.

bjdw, Jan 2, 4:59am
Did they change the key or would the original key still work!

red97, Jan 2, 5:25am
if its not your only entry door you can put a piece of timber in the channel that the door slides along to stop it being opened from the out side while you get the lock sorted

bjdw, Jan 2, 6:21am
Unfortunately the only other entry door is keyed alike to the sliding door.

kamitchell, Jan 2, 7:38am
If you can pull the barrels out of all the doors yourself just call a locksmith and see how much just get the pins swapped around and new keys cut. If not too much just do that.
Guessing that is what post #6 is talking about.

dave653, Jan 2, 8:29pm
Or, any good joinery shop will have barrels and keys, just ask for a matched pair and swap them over.

tmenz, Jan 2, 9:21pm
They simply looked at the barrel, inserted a blank key, decoded the pin pattern visually and cut keys to fit! Original key(s) would still work - if we could find them.
For your situation though, the locksmith should be able to change around pins/tumblers on both of your barrels and cut new keys to fit.

gmphil, Jan 2, 9:32pm
Remove both lock and take to ur lock smith the expensce is them coming to u ,and asked them to re key as that also cheaper faster then makin original key which u dont want anway rekon cost u $80.00 buks in bout 20 mins ur time

elect70, Jan 3, 12:30am
Those piddlylocks wont keepanyone out .Just lift & wriggle the door & open .sesame . I lock mine bydead bolt.