Pak n Save petrol

Page 1 / 3
ianalice1, Feb 5, 5:28am
Does anyone know what brand and fuel ratting that Pak n Save use at their own stations!
Normally use Z Super as the Shell Super had an special additive , but don't know is Z has anything in theirs.
Thanks,
Ian

franc123, Feb 5, 5:30am
BP

ianalice1, Feb 5, 5:31am
Hmm, is BP as good as Z and any idea on their grades!

daryl14, Feb 5, 5:34am
Who cares when it's 40c a litre off! Still 91/95 octane, that's all you need.

theunicorn, Feb 5, 5:44am
x1
Pak n Save now uses Mobil fuel. Initially they used BP, but have just changed over to Mobil.

unbeatabull, Feb 5, 5:44am
x1
Quite a difference actually. Caltex fuel I've always found crap (Performance and economy wise) and Mobil not much better. I've always found Shell/Z and BP best as far as performance and economy goes, and it goes to show as most race cars that have to use pump petrol generally prefer to use Shell/Z or BP.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 5, 5:53am
Even at 40c off you have to make sure its worth while. Say you manage to squeeze 60 litres into the Honda that is a $24 saving.

On the 2 times I have done my own proper survey and compare of Pack N Save I have saved that much or more on a big shop by shopping prudently at Countdown.

You have to remember the Pack N Save "comparisons" they do themselves and that are in the paper are not reflective of real world shopping, at least not how I shop. I am a bit brand flexible, will buy quality brands but pick the specials and most economical quantities, I will also stock up on items that are on a particularly good sale i.e half price.

That and shopping is tiring enough for me anyway, the last thing I want to do is shop in an earthquake hazard full of slow shuffly people in pyjamas blocking my way. Not to mention the fish counter that stinks out the shop almost as much as some of the customers.

The Papamoa Pak N Save is new and better than most (including demographic) but I still don't much point in it. Pak N Save is really a bit of a scam that counts on you believing the marketing and not taking the time to do your own math.

Remember too, Countdown will offer you fuel discounts too, even if its not as much it will more than likely be giving you a real further discount on top of what you have already saved.

unbeatabull, Feb 5, 5:56am
^ That too. I've always found Pak N Save have all the cheaper stuff I don't want on special and the quality stuff the same or more then as other supermarkets.

jason18, Feb 5, 6:14am
x1
Count down is doing 40c off if you buy 9 watties products and totalling $150. I refuse to shop at pak and save. The small aisles and fat asses that block em.

n3d4sp3d, Feb 5, 6:14am
x1
off topic but jazz you havn't smelt anything till you go to Rotorua PNS and smell the fish bar there

hpaul, Feb 5, 6:24am
x1
[quote=thejazzpianoma Pack N Save -the last thing I want to do is shop in an earthquake hazard full of slow shuffly people in pyjamas blocking my way.[/quote]
Made me chuckle :- )

jason18, Feb 5, 6:27am
Hhaha Its so true!

hpaul, Feb 5, 6:48am
I was looking for a Z station to fill up the car but my (normally accurate) computer said only 5kms left until empty so I filled up at a Caltex, as soon as last of the Z fuel had been used from the fuel line and replaced with the Caltex stuff the engine was louder - really clattery - more sluggish and less reluctant to pull at higher revs. Now I've got 1000kms of noisy driving to clear it all out.

I was tempted by New World's 'spend $150, get 40 cents per litrediscount' today but I asked which fuel supplier it was eligible with and they've just switched exclusively to Mobil - so I only spent $30 : )

Best petrol fuel, no contest - BP 98

Best diesel - Z

thejazzpianoma, Feb 5, 6:48am
Now that would make a good Pak N Save add. I can hear Paul ego saying that in my head now! (as opposed to the other voices telling me to buy VW)

Perhaps Rotorua gets the oldest stock in the hope that the background odor makes people less inclined to notice.

audi_s_ate, Feb 5, 6:56am
Our PnS fuel is very rarely used and I'm sure its stale. I get around 80% of the kms vs Caltex.

socram, Feb 5, 7:37am
Never tried the Pak 'n save fuel as the one time I attempted it, when they first installed it, there was no attendant and the instructions for payment by credit card and claiming the discount were obtuse.

However, we have found that just the saving of over a dollar on my preferred Danish butter and the fact that the mixed nuts in the bulk area are always fresh, is enough.Just got an AA fuelcard as I didn't realise it was separate to AA membership.

neville48, Feb 5, 8:08am
Wondering how and when fuel companies get to do the "customizing" of their product when we only have one refinery in Aotearoa ,are the workers all sworn to secrecy or ! in regards to the processes etc.how does it work !

unbeatabull, Feb 5, 8:13am
They all buy the bulk/crude petrol from Marsden point then add their own additives etc somewhere between there and the pump.

splinter67, Feb 5, 8:23am
Must be in the truck cause it all travels in the same ships and it all stored in the same tank. Will ask my mate tomorrow he drives a tanker

wheelmann, Feb 5, 8:46am
I use the Countdown app on my phone and use that when shopping. I can price compare as I go buying the cheapest from each store. Pack n Save win on price most of the time but don't always have the best range.

robbo36, Feb 5, 9:35am
That ain't the fish bar smelling that way, it's most likely the ferals that shop on bene day, a bit like the "people of walmart".
http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/

sw20, Feb 5, 10:52am
Total garbage. Go to your local Pak n Save and ask to see the receipt at the checkout kiosk. They will have one from the Countdown where they will do an actual shop and bring the goods and receipt back into the store.

Its those Aussie pricks that pick stuff like 20kg bags of rice for half price and dog biscuits to put on the comparison lists.

sw20, Feb 5, 10:55am
I use that app on the iPad up in the office too. When setting my prices daily I undercut them, anything not on the list, I send a staff member over to check out how much. For some reason broccoli not on the list!

solarboy, Feb 5, 11:19am
Got a Countdown flyer last week advertising the 40c/litre discount then P and S and New World started their ads several days later. I've gone in to the local P and S at times for an advertised special but more often than not it's not as advertised so I've left it and gone for my groceries at Countdown as usual, last week the falsley adv. item at P and S was 62c cheaper at C'down, not untypical.And Countdown's fuel vouchers are valid for a full month at Gull or Z not the 3 or 4 days for P and S's.

ianalice1, Feb 5, 11:46am
Thanks for all the comments, but I asked what brand and grades of fuel.
One person said BP and another Mobil, since then got a tad of subject, even though interesting.
We use Papamoa Pac and Save and Countdown.