2006 astra cdxi - any problems?

rachnl84, Feb 10, 7:55pm
Looking at buying a 2006 holden astra cdxi - are there any major issues with these cars that anyone has had with these and can tell me about! It would be appreciated

hi-ling, Feb 10, 9:03pm
The only major problem with the Astra's is the servicing and spare parts cost if you go thru a Holden dealer. They are atrocious. But if you have a friendly local garage, then ther're no worse than any other car. They do however NEED cambelt and waterpump replaced at 60K intervals

andy61, Feb 10, 10:52pm
Does the 2006 Astra still have a cambelt! thort they had changed to camchain by 2006!

hi-ling, Feb 10, 11:10pm
Yep the 1.8 in the AH 2006 Astra is still a cambelt motor

a.woodrow, Feb 10, 11:28pm
Later Astra's had an increased service interval for the cambelt, check the owners manual as some are 60k, some are 90k and some were 120k depending on model year

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 2:18am
I pretty much avoid anything with a Holden badge as Holden NZ take the piss on parts and service pricing, there is also limited other parts options for their vehicles in NZ.
If the vehicle was something special there are ways around it but really there are other European cars which are better built and better catered for in NZ
For what you are likely paying for the Astra you could likely get one of the cracker MK5 VW Golfs (2004 and newer) which would be a much better prospect.
Not only is the VW a better built and designed car but parts are available from a number of third party importers and some service parts are even well priced locally from the likes of BNT etc.
I find the Opel/Vauxhal/GM stuff is not really on a par with "proper" European vehicles like BMW/VW/Audi/Mercedes etc yet you are sometimes paying that sort of money for it in NZ. Not a terrible car but you can do better.

intrade, Feb 11, 2:23am
if you want a diesel get a vw or fiat diesel and you need to use a diesel lubrication additive on every tank unless the vehicle is brand new, but even then it would pay to use some evry now and then to prevent rust deposits with the new diesel inside the injector system,

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 2:27am
+1
While both make brilliant engines, at the price bracket I think you are looking at in NZ, the VW is much more car for your money, and while Fiat parts are fairly easily available VW parts are easier again.

I say this owning a 2007 Fiat Punto Diesel myself and having the Golf's in the family as well.