Nissan Skyline 300GT

Page 1 / 2
tribal69, Feb 25, 6:07am
Any body own one!.being a v6 are they hungry on the gas!

any known faults!.

gunhand, Feb 25, 6:13am
I had one to work on just the other day, do you think I could find a boot release lever or button.Must be lurking somewhere surely LOL.Had to use the boot latch on the boot. Not a biggy but odd for a modern car to not have an internal release. Or I just couldnt find it.

austingtir, Feb 25, 6:13am
Direct injection is not 100% reliable but other than that they are fine.It shouldnt be that bad on gas but they are only a 4 speed auto which lets them down.The 350gt-8 is a much better vehicle with not much worse fuel eco.

incar., Feb 25, 6:16am
Known for blowing head gaskets, if purchasing one get a manual compression test its worth the extra dollars to have it done

austingtir, Feb 25, 6:42am
Thats the first iv ever heard of that, my experience is with vq35de's though and they are pretty much bullet proof I have personally overheated a 2005 model before and never had any issues.They can be difficult to bleed after changing coolant though.

I find that really hard to believe as im sure they dont run the cheap composite gaskets.

morrisman1, Feb 25, 6:44am
The only one I know that has blown a head gasket is running upwards of 500hp

merv4, Feb 25, 6:51am
I've owned one for about 8 years , nicest car i have driven, only problem-- the passagers seat electrics gave up--haven't bothered to fix.
not to bad on fuel if driven steady, would shurely suck it up if you are heavy footed

theunicorn, Feb 25, 6:56am
The one I had was a 5 speed auto, as I think were all 300GTs, The 250-GT came with a 4 speed.

I found the 300GT fairly economical to run - just under 8l/100km on a trip (normal driving, rather than being economical). Comfortable, reliable car. Worst thing was the steering was a bit over assisted and disconnected feeling.

gunhand, Feb 25, 6:56am
Do they have an internal boot release!

smac, Feb 25, 6:57am
Eh! My last two vehicles haven't had one. I've never seen the point of an internal release. If somebody wants to get in the boot, somebody has to be standing next to the boot.soo.just another thing to go wrong.

vtecintegra, Feb 25, 7:15am
No, typically you only get them when there is no external release.

gunhand, Feb 25, 7:17am
In the skyline range!Just seemed very odd it didn't as dam near every car does thats remotely modern lol.

austingtir, Feb 25, 7:18am
Yeah it is 5 speed i was thinking of the 250's.Open road i still think thegt8's will match them I have got 850-900kms on open road with mine.Around town yeah the 300 is probably a bit better.

vtecintegra, Feb 25, 7:20am
I think most cars with an external release don't have an internal one

smac, Feb 25, 7:40am
Such as.!

tribal69, Feb 25, 7:47am
Thanks for all the info guys.keep anything coming in!

gunhand, Feb 25, 7:48am
Maybe im confusing the issue here.In most cars I have seen you can open boot via an internal pull,push. electric or by the key in the boot. I didnt look to see if the skyine has a key hole in the boot lid but I just used the release on the boot.
Perhaps I shouldnt have called an external release and instead a key release.
So how do you get into boot of the skyline if the release fails! Through the back seats or do they have a key lock!

westwyn, Feb 25, 7:56am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the release for the boot a small push-slide switch down on the lower dashboard surround capping below and to the right of the steering column, just above the footwell!

gunhand, Feb 25, 8:01am
I looked and looked and looked again LOL and still didn't find one. And I looked later as well. Thats why I asked. There usually not hard to find even when hard to find LOL.

merv4, Feb 25, 8:23pm
our one does not have one , but the boot and fuel flap lock when the central locking is locked

1ollie, Feb 26, 10:24am
That's rubbish and very untrue sorry! The VQ engines are well known to be very good if you keep up with the basic servicing

incar., Feb 26, 11:50am
i agree the VQ is a strong engine, but the 3.5 is known for head gasket issues,i like yourself have alot to do with nissan, i havent come across any head gasket issues with the 2.5, the VQ35 is used not only in the skyline!

incar., Feb 26, 11:55am
on a different note how's the yellow R34, any links/info as i havent been up to play with their progress

panicky, Feb 26, 5:43pm
the VQ30DD variable valve timing motor has one expensive timing chain set up (diifferent than VQ30DE)

incar., Mar 12, 5:52am