Ferrari F40 in display

Page 1 / 2
hawat, Feb 16, 11:25pm
Ummm someone on this mb some time ago wanted to see the f40 but I said it wasn't in the showroom then. Well its back. Just went for a walk down Gt Sth Rd for my monthly perv at the dreamcars and there it is on the main display stand at CCS along with a white 458 (looks like a UFO) and an orange McLaren. As well as all the other exotics. Damn lotto ticket didn't come in.

hawat, Feb 16, 11:26pm
On display not in display. You can't edit the titles

carkitter, Feb 17, 2:09am
It never went away. For a while there was a yellow F50 as well.

1rad8, Feb 17, 2:11am
Oh that was me.lol thanks! I'd love to see the F50 too,not too interested in the newer cars.Give me a F40 anyday! Thanks Hawat!:)

hawat, Feb 17, 9:34am
Oh it must have been upstairs 'cause it wasn't downstairs for a long time. And the yellow F50, when was that in the showroom!

a.woodrow, Feb 17, 10:22am
Boy lucky you were here to correct OP, we would never have worked out what they were trying to tell us otherwise!

carkitter, Feb 18, 10:36am
I saw it on Sat 9th Feb, but it wasn't there today.

hawat, Feb 18, 6:14pm
Damn, I'll have to keep a watch out cause I haven't seen an F50 in the fllesh

therafter1, Feb 18, 8:08pm
Saw a Mclaren heading north up the Taihape deviation the other day, he didn??

carkitter, Feb 19, 9:13am
That's the F1 not the MP4-12c. The carbon fibre construction techniques have changed quite a bit since 1993 and therefore the MP4-12c is far cheaper to build and hopefully to repair. Part of the reason they didn't write it off is the skyrocketing value of the F1 which was made in limited nunbers. The MP4-12c is made at the rate of 80 per week, that's more than the entire production of original roadgoing F1's.

Rowan Atkinson's car is not the only one to suffer catastrophic damage. Apart from the prototype used in crash testing, another prototype was destroyed during hot weather testing in South Africa, when an engineer looked up from his laptop to find himself on the wrong side of the road at 280km/h. I've heard several others have been crashed by owners.

Gordon Murray says they are driven much more often than other supercars and that many are brought in for servicing with 'high' mileages. Jeremy Clarkson says they are twitchy and unstable at the limit of adhesion; he doesn't like them and won't allow them on the Top Gear Power Lap board.

Personally I think the McLaren F1 is the best car ever built and I like the MP4-12c very much, having spent quite a bit of time around them and ocasionally driving them. It would make my top 5 vehicles after the F1, the Britten V1000, the F40 and the 1955 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

If your interested in Gordon Murray's critique of the Bugatti Veyron which is scathing and full of back-handed compliments, read here:
page 1 http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/technical-analysis-anatomy-of-a-supercar page 2 http://www.roadandtrack.com/page-2---technical-analysis-anatomy-of-a-supercar page 3 http://www.roadandtrack.com/page-3---technical-analysis-anatomy-of-a-supercar page 4 http://www.roadandtrack.com/page-4---technical-analysis-anatomy-of-a-supercar

1rad8, Feb 19, 9:32am
Wow cool.yeh the F1 is incredible.Tiff Nedell loves it but maybe because he is an ex-race car driver!
F1,F40 all time favorite cars with the Dauer 962.Never seen a Dauer anywhere!

hawat, Feb 19, 10:46pm
NIce one carkitter. During the article they talk about the 917 - 30 and show a quick pic of the Sunoco 917. I went to the Zuffanhausen factory years ago when the Porsche Museum was still at the factory and saw that sunoco 917-30 took a photo of it. There were heaps of other Porsches there but the 917-30 stands out strongest in my memory. The thought of a racing car with 1100 hp was mindblowing then. There is a clip on Youtube with someone starting up and driving that same car. It is still thunderous in sound, rep and performance 40 years after beating everything in canam

wrong2, Feb 20, 7:20am
JC leg humps the crap out of anything british

for him to rubbish the F1 (& yes i watched that show when it first aired) gobsmacked me

they were & are a GT, not glued to the road like a Zonda or a Enzo

Gordon Murray has also said theres really only one F1 (not GTR) that has the steering setup to a standard that he likes, they dont have power steering

wrong2, Feb 20, 7:35am
hardly scathing, or back-handed

Car & Drivers article had him praising it as a track car to show off 1000 hp accell & awesome braking

one thing about the veyron lotsof people dont seem to get, is that if you berak the engine down by the numbers , its just a 250 hp 2.0 four cylinder

which isnt that spectacular when put that way is it

1rad8, Feb 20, 7:45am
Haha wow I watched that video last night as I was in the "962" videos mood.
Can't believe that car was here.wow! Such beautiful and wonderful cars.Wonder how they would do with modern racers.

wrong2, Feb 20, 7:54am
the 98 porsche le mans winner was also here forBBT show, or at least australia porshce hadhad it for the oz motor show

hawat, Feb 21, 4:14am
JC leg humps the crap out of anything british
[/quote]

hahaha excellent humour and quite correct. He can be quite "patriotic". Remember when he went on and on about England in the RWC against Aussie

wrong2, Feb 21, 6:17am
he is one of the few people to bag on the F1 publicly

most of his opinion about (any) cars handeling comes from the professional drivers employed on the show

hawat, Feb 21, 9:26am
one thing about the veyron lotsof people dont seem to get, is that if you berak the engine down by the numbers , its just a 250 hp 2.0 four cylinder

2 litre turbocharged V4 times 4

carkitter, Feb 21, 6:37pm
He didn't praise it as a track car, he widely criticised it. He praised the engineers for making such a bad design work to such a degree. He praised the project leader for his perseverence in delivering the project - that's a back-handed compliment.

You clearly like the Veyron so much you can't stand to see it criticised.

Clarkson's criticism of the F1 surprised me but he may have a point. The car has more body roll than most supercars have and several cars were crashed soon after owners took delivery. I don't think the car is flawed though. A lap by the Stig of the Top Gear test track would show how good it is. Unfortunately we'll never see that.

wrong2, Feb 22, 8:26pm
no, its just your wrong, your opinion isnt backed up by the article, it comes across as YOU suffering from the bias

& yes Gordon Murray did praise the veyron as a track car, but not in that article -the praise revolved around being able to show offwhat a thousand HP accelleration felt like as well as its awesome braking

my opinion is that its overly complex & heavy - im no bugatti fan

wrong2, Feb 22, 8:27pm
except thats exactly whats happened, the F1 got thrashed by clarkson & crew on a TG episode

the handling got rubbished

carkitter, Mar 7, 8:10am
CCS has the F40 for sale. $995,000.

hawat, Mar 7, 9:07am
I know that its all relative and this doesn't apply much to me but that sounds cheap! Aren't they going for more than that!

1rad8, Mar 7, 11:43am
I thought so too and the LM 800bhp one is waaay more!