2006 commodore keeps stopping

Page 1 / 2
rrrabbit, Feb 24, 11:27pm
My 2006 commodore wagon keeps stopping when I am driving it, no warning, just like its been turned off - all dials down, dash blank, crappy steering and brakes - have to pull over, turn off and then it restarts fine. It spent Tues - Fri at Auto elec while they drove it roundat $60ph, did full diagnostics on it etc and it wouldnt stop, I had it over w/e it was fine then on way to drop kids at school today - same thing . stopped .bloody dangerous .any ideas!
Randonly doing it too - its not at a certain time of day of when Ive just started driving or anything . has now happened 4x (first 3 within 24hrs)

petermcg, Feb 24, 11:42pm
I think you should replace your crank angle sensor before you try any thing else.

rrrabbit, Feb 24, 11:47pm
thanks - will give it a shot .

40wav, Feb 24, 11:59pm
Why would that shut off all other electrics! Wouldn't it just stop the engine, but still have dash etc!

dunedin_moto, Feb 25, 12:02am
I think you should take it to Holden.
Could just be a loose terminal etc, but in saying that, a sparky should have picked up on that.

rrrabbit, Feb 25, 12:11am
It is just like the car has been turned off while driving . and always starts fine, thankfully it has stopped in places that I have been able to pull over to. Spoke with Holden they said never heard of it, bring it down and they will plug into diagnositics, surely this would be same as auto electricians daignostics ! or no !

serf407, Feb 25, 12:18am
Not all auto electricians are created equal.
There are a few mechanical reasons why your car's problem could occur so you might require a mechanic rather than an auto electrn.

rrrabbit, Feb 25, 12:44am
Good point - will bite the bullet and take it to Holden if they cannot locate problem soon.

a.woodrow, Feb 25, 6:46am
is it a ve! check the battery connection where it goes through the firewall, they work loose and cause the issue you have described

monaro17, Feb 25, 8:12am
Must be a VZ, no VE wagons until 2008

crudeawakening, Feb 25, 8:22am
Id expect the sparky to see a code for that with his scan tool. It also wouldn't make the dash drop off. Its gunna be a power supply/earth problem. It check all battery connections, earth straps and then look for any corrosion around main fuse links. Then my next gess would be a dodgy ignition switch (the electrical part behind the barrel. When you turn the key round slowly do you notice it feels funny, clunky or loose! and once started if you wiggle the key does it cut out! If it was security related it would show on the dash I reckon.

a.woodrow, Feb 25, 9:01am
True didn't read the first post properly didn't see it was a wagon

rrrabbit, Feb 25, 11:31pm
Thanks for all your help, will let the A/E know all these !

whqqsh, Feb 26, 5:21am
I had a ZF fairlane years ago with exactly the same issue, wouldnt do it for a few days the out of the blue 2 or 3 times just on the way to work. Drove to Gissy from Aucks & it didnt do it all the way but the way home must have done it 20+ times. Had several reputable guys check it out & ended up trading it in, the dealer was sure his guy would sort it, few weeks later I called in because Id got a flat & my 'new' car had no jack, the guy just about chased me out of the yard. Apparently it ran sweet for anyone checking it out or taking it home for a weekend etc but as soon as customer drove it, it would die constantly.

wind.turbine, Feb 26, 5:36am
My Toyota cavalier started doing this but the engine keep'd running.
It was after I started it once I went to leave and all the power just died.
dash gauges,radio,everything apart from the engine and also the check gauges light on the dash came on and was the only thing working.
it did it twice.
later that day I searched the problem on google and I found that some one had a problem with a dirty relay connection.
so i pulled all the relays and fuses and have not had that problem again.
dident have to clean them I just pulled them out and put them back in again.
might be worth a try.
Someone suggested to me that it might have been a computer error as a power issue would not normally bring the check gauges light on and everything else off and that pulling the relays out could have forced a reset.

racetoy, Feb 26, 5:43am
I had a mate with a commodore wagon that had exactly the same problem
i cant remember exactly but i think it was an earthing problem

ryanm2, Feb 26, 5:45am
Possibly the factory immobiliser if it has one.

bigfatmat1, Feb 26, 6:07am
The car does not constantly need this signal to keep running just on start up so this can be ruled out

kiwihonky, Feb 26, 6:28am
Sounds like you need a ford

bigfatmat1, Feb 26, 8:16am
O i am correct. Besides what stupid car manafacturer would implement such a stupid idea! Even ford is not that dumb.

unbeatabull, Feb 26, 8:17am
I'll agree with this.

lombax, Feb 26, 8:22am
i agree,if it cuts off while your driving have bottled water handie pour it on the sensor to cool it ,and start it again,it will get you home quicker

bigfatmat1, Feb 26, 8:25am
cam sensors give problems as well located above crank sensor if its a vz but again one would expect to see a code for a crank or cam sensor failure.

dasfi, Feb 26, 8:33am
Correcto mondo, had a few cars that have done that to me

olsod2, Feb 26, 10:52pm
my commie did almost the same turned out to be a faulty alternator.computer said it needed more power ault could give it so comp shut done car.