CB Radio for construction machinery- which brand?

mokaubach, Mar 1, 10:08pm
Looking for the best option of brand and model based on others experience. Uniden looks to have a big range, others (sensible) comments appreciated, thanks.

tmenz, Mar 1, 10:38pm
If you're going to be using them around noisy machinery, make sure you get some with adequate audio output power and big loudspeakers.
Also you need to consider headphones/headsets/remote microphones - make sure they're readily available for the sets you choose.
Check the specs on the ones you're considering.
You can be sure the cheapies will be inadequate and won't have accessories available.
Consider the types of batteries used too - disposable AA/AAA, rechargeable AA/AAA or internal proprietary rechargeable!

philltauranga, Mar 2, 1:45am
Uniden or GME, others are crap.

ola_bitchola1, Mar 2, 2:07am
this is true are you wanting portable ones for the staff or each machine i spose that brings up the next question am or uhf !

flashgordon_nz, Mar 2, 3:33am
and are you talking AM freq! Range 3-5km line of sight max, but able to converse with other AM cb users on the road, ie truckies.
Or are you refering to PRS tyre, which operate on higher UHF FM freq! similar range, not as common (not as cluttered freq's) etc
Or the likes of a open channel RT or trunking RT which, due to repeaters etc has reasonably good range and coverage!

mike77, Mar 2, 3:57am
http://www.zares.co.nz/
Good product and a range of accessories and back up service. I have a PRS handset at over 4 watts, and is much clearer than the 2 watt unidens or other cheapies.
Yes I know4 is more than 2, but comparing them on price also.

They can also configure them to other bands, where you'll need a licence.

mokaubach, Mar 3, 1:19am
Sorry, I should have said I'm after a permanently wired in set, not hand held. Unsure whether to use AM or UHF , won't be communicating over long distance.

henderson_guy, Mar 3, 5:00am
Another vote for uniden, have one in the truck and have no complaints.

mokaubach, Mar 3, 5:03am
Which model do you have!

henderson_guy, Mar 3, 7:13am
Will check tomorrow and get back to ya

ralphdog1, Mar 3, 8:08am
Had a lot of experience in a previous life (the late 80's and 90's) of maintaining R/T's in Dozers, Diggers and Graders. We found that in the likes of a D8 it was cheaper to supply portable radios and accept the fact they got dropped, sat on and that sort of damage as opposed to fixed in vehicle sets. This was because of the vibration damage that big machinery did. It was not uncommon for brand new radios to be shagged in 12 months.
Worth thinking about, modern machinery may well be better of course.

flashgordon_nz, Mar 3, 8:12am
Mokau Bach - are you looking at fitting them also in utes, transport trucks, etc! I'd be looking at am, so you can use ch11 on the open road to Inter-act with other truckies etc

henderson_guy, Mar 4, 6:51am
Model is a PRO630XL. Cheers.

shall, Mar 4, 8:19am
how far are you wanting to go with this !

if its a noisy environment, id suggest picking up a proper RT unit, over a CB,can always put the PRS channels into it, if you get a UHF version,

add an external speaker, and thats as good as youll get short of a headset

If you require access between yourself and your staff only, then id go PRS UHF,at least its FM andnewer options available, smaller antennas also