Getting older cars off the road.

Page 1 / 3
nzoomed, Mar 27, 9:03am
If those proposed changes go ahead, how will that affect classic car owners!
I would like to see the stats that show that our classics are killers on the road.

mm12345, Mar 27, 9:08am
The stats don't even show that poorly maintained vehicles of any age are killers on the roads.

ml6989, Mar 27, 9:23am
The older vehicles are not the problem. The people who operate them in a dangerous or unsafe manner are the problem. I would think that classic car owners / drivers are not even in the equation.

bmwnz, Mar 27, 9:46am
I am no fan of old cars, but I do believe that in general the enthusiasts who own 'classic' cars are the sort of people who are fastidious about their hobby and ensure that their cars are as safe as they can be.

nzoomed, Mar 27, 10:03am
correct,
it seems the govt are making a big deal about stability control, and this is one reason they want the older cars off the road that dont have it.

scuba, Mar 27, 10:05am
not necessarily,some people are just cheap- regardless of the age of their cars,
even classic car owners

rob_man, Mar 27, 10:08am
They would do better to train drivers so that stability control is second nature without feeling the need for it to be built into a car.

exwesty, Mar 27, 10:13am
So if older cars get shunted off the road then in the future there will be no "classic" cars of this era as they will end up on the scrap heap.

doug207, Mar 27, 10:26am
I'm not sure what this is in response to! But stability control is not fool proof, far from it. Driver training must be mandatory here, our licence system is absolutely appalling.

woki, Mar 27, 10:42am
Unsafe vehicles off the roads is what they are aiming for. TV one reporter was who said"Older cars off the road " . Dont sweat from poor reporting . Older cars arent the issue !

hemroids, Mar 27, 11:07am
some times we need to get our older cars off the road.
example, one day I pulled right off to the side of the road in my old trusty rusty holden.Well I was busing to go to the john you see.
Oppps, did I say john! I think I did say john.
Hope its ok to say john. :-)

gmnshprd, Mar 27, 3:12pm
So they say the average age of this countries vehicles is 13 years, and they are considered high by international standards - here we go again, our govt is full of sheep that don't know what they're doing so better follow the rest of the world!
There's nothing wrong with my 10 yr old vehicle. Have owned it since new and hasn't failed a warrant yet. Partner has owned his new vehicle for 2 years and it failed its latest warrant!

flack88, Mar 27, 6:26pm
What they said they were looking at, was a cash for 'clunkers' type scheme,like the yanks had.Have they dumbed people down that much, that they cant even go around a corner,without stability control!,and are to stupid to know, that you 'adjust' your driving to the conditions!!

skull, Mar 27, 6:32pm
Go to the john.john's gone.either way it's down the gurgler.

doug207, Mar 27, 6:35pm
Silly because it's more P.C, tree hugger, socks and sandals, Punto driver, soy Latte drinker, friendly to keep a car on the road instead of scrapping it and making a new car. The green bunch shoot themselves in the foot a lot
Apparently it's impossible to drive a Vectra without losing it, even though you've put the inside front in to dirt, which will do nothing.

rsr72, Mar 27, 6:59pm
Just as they employed Murphy to sell their ripoff WOFS, the plonkers have demonstrated they're capable of stooping to anything low to line their pockets with our money.

kcf, Mar 27, 7:51pm
Not sure what you're talking about here!

There's nothing in the WOF changes they've been talking about that has the slightest effect on older cars.They will continue to have exactly the same six monthly wof checks as they've been having for donkey's years.

What and who are trying to get older cars off the road!

eagles9999, Mar 27, 7:56pm
Now if only we could have legislation to get rid of unsafe drivers.

mrfxit, Mar 27, 8:00pm
It could easily be used as a starter to more changes

smac, Mar 27, 8:14pm
Not the WoF changes, there was a media release yesterday in which they mentioned targeting "older, less safe vehicles".

The scare mongers will talk about banning old cars, the reality will be about encouraging people to update (presumably with $$, dunno though).

Not sure why people are talking about tree hugging greenies, it's got nothing to do with the environment.

bellky, Mar 27, 8:26pm

ally-oop, Mar 27, 9:16pm
in a vast majority of cases ya can't train that into people, you're pretty much born with it or you ain't. it's also pretty much a male thing, plus there's another couple of general criteria but i'd better not go into that.

ally-oop, Mar 27, 9:22pm
and if you ain't got it ya oughta catch the bus.

having a manual-only rule with cars would be a step in the right direction.

ally-oop, Mar 27, 9:24pm
i agree with fixit-it's wise to view everything that govt does as potentially 'the thin end of the wedge'

socram, Mar 27, 10:41pm
Drivers and owners.Not cars.Managed quite well for the last 45 years without stability control, traction control, ABS, crumple zones etc. on many cars.

Do dumbed down cars make for dumbed down drivers!

Having said that, I took my then new 2002 Cooper S to a Mini instruction day at Pukekohe and learned how to drive it using the ABS etc.I was totally ignorant aboutABS.Sure, I understood that it was an anti lock system and I had practiced cadence braking for many years, so I assumed (wrongly) that ABS operated all the time.

It was a bit of an eye opener to realise that I had to change the habits of a lifetime when braking.I now have to remember to stamp on the brake pedal in an emergency stop and I can still steer the car, even with one wheel on grass and one on tarseal.Fortunately, I can only remember about 3 emergency stops over the last 40 years anyway as they should be a rarity.

If a self confessed petrolhead doesn't understand how to drive modern cars with ABS, what chance for those who only ever use the car as a means of transport and wouldn't even know whether ABS was fitted or not!