Getting older cars off the road.

Page 2 / 3
mazzyz, Mar 27, 10:48pm
What a crock of shyte, it's a male thing and you're either born with it or not. Where's the stats to support this assertion of yours! What's the other "couple of general criteria" to ensure one can drive correctly off the bat! In your infinite wisdom, all those driver training schools should shut up shop too, what are they on trying to teach people how to drive! Geez, did you think before you started typing that . out!

monaro_xxx, Mar 27, 11:27pm
im all for people easily being able to rid of pieces of S&^tbut do agree that that old cars does not equal unsafe.

therafter1, Mar 27, 11:36pm
I suspect that someone has read betwwen the lines and seen something that wasn't there and then gone off half cocked !

therafter1, Mar 27, 11:39pm
I agree to a point. Wait till all of the clowns that think the WOF changes are going to save them forty bucks a year are getting shafted on the side of the road and then ask them if they still think it was such a great idea !

smac, Mar 27, 11:41pm
Pretty hard to get a discussion going on this topic without people getting all emotional.

The problem is rather than people trying to discuss the merits of spending money to try and bring the average age of the fleet down, they fall into the trap of trying to argue that older cars are just as safe as newer.

THAT is simply a no brainer. I am a through and through petrol head, absolutely LOVE classics, but are they as safe! No.

So don't bother debating that, debate whether it's worth spending tax dollars on.

bellky, Mar 28, 1:02am
Unfortunately smac this issue involves politics, and things that a lot of us LOVE (our cars), so of course emotion will be there.

Personally I don't give a stuff what tax dollars are spent on. that will be decided for me :)

However, I do get PISSED OFF when my personal choice of car is taxed against my will by politicians and apathetic public. :(

wind.turbine, Mar 28, 1:19am
I think the main this is the fact that the damage they do i a crash.
most older cars a built strong and heavy so put that with a head on with a modern plastic fantastic car and bam you have people dying.
they are looking at things the wrong way.then need to make cars stronger.
IMO I would rather drive an old series landrover than drive a modern car that you cant fix your self and costs 3k just for a wing mirror.if ya get what I mean.
the govt is making people dumb.
they want safer equipment used but then people don't have to think anymore.
I cant see the problem with how it is now.you crash,you kill someone YOU pay the price for the rest of your life (if you live)
the stupid thing is that people know how to drive but don't like to think about things in advance.

sandypheet, Mar 28, 1:44am
With due respect #33,a head on crash between an old `strong heavy`car and a modern one will see occupants of the modern car chances of surviving greater than the old one.If you see demos of how modern cars are designed to operate during a crash I think you will see what I mean.Would like also to add that I think once a car has been deregitered then depending on year and condition of the vehicle,around 13 years old,then consideration should be given to removing from service.

smac, Mar 28, 1:47am
With all due respect #33, you're just plain wrong. Read up on crash survivability, crumple zones etc, and watch some comparative crash test vids.

ally-oop, Mar 28, 2:17am
sorry-i forgot about all the female top racing drivers lol

mazzyz, Mar 28, 3:45am
It's okay ally-oop, they were born that way.

ally-oop, Mar 28, 3:59am
you're correct there and i was being sarcastic-there are no female top racing drivers and my earlier post alludes to why.

cjohnw, Mar 28, 4:03am
Danika Patrick, Emma Gilmore are not top female racing drivers!

ally-oop, Mar 28, 4:38am
they may be top FEMALE drivers but they're way way way down the list if you include males. and even if they were top drivers without the female classification they'd be only 2 people representing half of the world's population.i rest my case.

cjohnw, Mar 28, 4:51am
I know who I would rather watch going round a racetrack . You!

http://www.complex.com/rides/2011/10/the-10-hottest-female-race-car-drivers

ally-oop, Mar 28, 4:58am
given that i watch motor racing to see the best racing and the fact that you can't see the drivers when they're racing, i'd wouldn't wanna watch women drivers.I also note that male drivers get by purely on their driving talent alone.

mazzyz, Mar 28, 5:06am
No worries ally-oop, better sell my car now 'cause it's got no abs, stability control etc; I clearly haven't got a sh!t show of driving it properly anyway. If only I'd been born a racing driver then all would be sweet, oh well never mind I'm off to catch a bus.

zetec, Mar 28, 9:21am
Not forgetting Simona de Silvestro, third for most of the first Indycar race at St Petersburg Florida last weekend till her tyres gave up, finished 6th, one place behoind Scott Dixon. How far down the list is that ally-oop!

ally-oop, Mar 28, 10:18am
THIRD.MOST.6th.ONE female. females are 50% of earth's population so the maths just aint stacking up. sorry but the hard cold facts completely lay waste to your illusionand if you wanna mount a convincing argument you oughta choose it more carefully (i.e don't get yourself in a situation where you're grasping at straws and trying to put the exception forward as if it's the rule.)

1rad8, Mar 28, 10:43am
Maybe females would do better at racing if someone put a kitchen on wheels.haha just joking lol.

cassina1, Mar 28, 11:02am
If the cheapest car you could buy was say $10,000 many people would just buy cheap motorscooters instead which would be more unsafe than an old car.

smac, Mar 28, 6:11pm
ally-oop you're confusing achievement in motorsport with ability to drive. Two completely different things.

martin11, Mar 28, 6:50pm
We need the old MOT Guys back dedicated to policing the roads , not the combined traffic/police as we have now , They are useless ,only interested in drunks and speed not basic driving errors an unsafe vehicles that cause a lot of problems on the roads .

franc123, Mar 28, 7:25pm
Damn right we do, the MOT merger was a mistake.Traffic cops that are 100% dedicated to their work and not having their duties clouded by general police matters is whats needed. Get them back into schools talking about road safety and proper responsible operation of vehicles, and even lead this into some sort of compulsory driver training programme in the schools, THATS where it needs to start if attitudes are to change. It would also help with improving relations between the public and law enforcement, something thats declined hugely in the last 20 years. You'd think the bureaucrats within the police and nzta would have woken up by now and realised poor driver training, poor attitude and our scratch and win minimal effort weetbix packet drivers licensing system are the fundamental problems. Its not rocket science is it!

mrfxit, Mar 28, 8:28pm
LOL about the only modern thing my truck has is brakes /lights & a tinny horn.
(88 Surf)
Air con was pulled long ago/ no computer anything