Getting older cars off the road.

Page 3 / 3
universal48, Mar 28, 11:04pm
Just to clarify things - these suggestions have come from MOT not MTA. One's a government agency, the other's a voluntary trade association.

socram, Mar 29, 12:09am
Can't say that I agree about going back to the separate Traffic police.Knowing that that in an emergency, any policeman can assist rather than half of them, is more of a comfort to me.

Read the various news reports and a high percentage of those running away from the police or excessive speeding, recividist drunks etc,are wanted on other charges anyway and are just out and out law breakers.

I do agree, that what needs to change is the police attitude to training and advising/warning rather than just issuing tickets, but what do you honestly expect from a quota system!

They may jump up and down with glee with a lower road toll for two weekends a year, but what do you seriously think would happen if we all drove to the speed limits, drove sober, indicated correctly, stayed on our own side of the road, had a current WoF & rego etc, for just one month!

Do you really think the quotas would change or they'd be out patrolling the streets and nabbing burglars!

sharchew, Mar 29, 2:31am
Older cars are made of metal not the plasticy shit today

cjohnw, Mar 29, 2:35am
Very true. But . . . "rust never sleeps".

dave653, Mar 29, 2:38am
I've said this before. some years ago there was a Mitsi Mirage run over (head on) by a truck just South of Whangarei. 5 people (all of them) died! Not long after, an HQ was hit, again head on, by a truck laden with rocks, 2 died, three got away with it. I bought my HJ when it was 9 years old. 27 years ago. Still gets a wof, still registered, never lost my lisence.
Drivers are, as already mentioned, being 'dumbed down' by all these fancy gadgets supposedly designed to keep us safe. drivers are no longer allowed to think for themselves, becoming lazy, thinking 'gadgets will save me'.
Then you have all these kids driving 400hp jappas with no regard to anyone elses safety, let alone thier own. The Police aren't allowed to do thier job. pc bullshit, might hurt someones feelings. Bring back old style Policing, let them do thier job, remove dangerous cars/drivers. The current laws are a joke, and everyone knows it!

wrong2, Mar 29, 6:34am
well theres no excuse really for crashing a modern car, or at least im not understanding how people are managing it

modern cars handle, stop & go in a really planted manner now

dave653, Apr 1, 5:55am
The ads on tv with the silver (not Falcons) with all the gadgets, falling off the road, don't help.

therafter1, Apr 1, 6:17am
Agree entirely, there is a Hyundai one as well where they give a couple of demos of with / without stability control in the ad. Unfortunately I feel that this is misleading many plonkers into believing that they can do as they wish in these things and the stability control will take over and see them continue happily on their journeys . not so !