2006 Mondeo sedan- Rod through the block.

Page 1 / 2
rastas1nz, Mar 26, 12:56am
My niece paid $5000 for the car 3 months ago, had AA check on it, done 140k. While driving on the motorway on the weekend it destroyed a piston and put rod through block without any warning or previous problems. Any thoughts on why this would of happened!, is there a common fault with these models or engines!. Dont know wether to buy another engine or scrap car and start again.Thanks.

fiatracer, Mar 26, 1:30am
seems very odd that this happened "without any warning" - usually it's preceded by a period of unhealthy noise and/or warning light/s, or as a result of doing a gazillion rpm. At risk of sounding like a smartarse, was she doing 100kmh in first gear, or could she have wrong-slotted [if it's a manual]!

petal_91, Mar 26, 1:33am
$5000 is very cheap for a 2006 Mondeo. Why did she pay so little for it!

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 1:43am
Yeah I agree sounds really odd no warnings or noises. I asked the same questions, were you thrashing it doing 10,000rpm etc and said no. Its an auto.Could it have had a cracked piston without being able to hear it!. Thanks.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 1:47am
Hi, not sure, it had a few minor scuffs and interior alittle worn but not major, it was listed for $6k but got it for 5K. Ta

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 1:47am
did she know the oil level and condition prior to this happening! for all we know it was low on oil and knock knock knocking away for a while.

also, $5000 for an '06 is good - personally I would just spend the $1000-2000 it would cost for a replacement motor to be supplied and fitted and she would still have a reasonably cheap Mondeo.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 1:55am
I dont know about the days immediately before it went but I had heard the engine previously and was fine, not smokey or oil leak, plus had AA check.Got quoted $3k for replacement engine.If they are cheaper to replace that would be good.Thanks.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 1:57am
Good, thanks.

phillip.weston, Mar 26, 1:58am
I don't think they will be selling a 2006 Mondeo engine for $500.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 2:09am
Mmmm.thanks.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 2:11am
Thanks alot.Thats a good price for full reco and warranty. Cheers.

unbeatabull, Mar 26, 6:10am
We have seen quite a few put rods through blocks unfortunately. Normally examples that are higher mileage (over 80k+) With little to no service history.

fordcrzy, Mar 26, 6:40am
the mazda mx5 2006+ has the same long block and they have had a few spit rods. i beleive there was a batch of bad rod journals. blocks were replaced under warranty at the time(5-6 years ago mind you). the MZR engine in the mondeo requires good synthetic oil to last the 15000km service intervals. putting el cheapo kmart mineral oil in them will kill them. Having said all that the fault is a very rare one and i wouldnt sweat it. just get a new engine put in and enjoy it. we had our 2002 mondeo wagon for 5 years trouble free

unbeatabull, Mar 26, 6:45am
Mondeo's have a 20,000k Service Interval :) And yes require a full synthetic 5w30 oil. Anything thicker or cheap stuff will give problems.

franc123, Mar 26, 6:56am
Hmm, yes anyone who knows them knows that MZR Mondeo engine is 20k, yet Mazda considered 10k was appropriate for the same engine in the 6, go figure.

unbeatabull, Mar 26, 7:09am
A lot of Japanese product has a 6 month service interval in japan/Asia, but the Euro version have a 12 month interval. See it quite a lot

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 7:18am
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it is a common problem then. We may have purchased one that didnt have regular or incorrect service then. Typical.Cheers.

rastas1nz, Mar 26, 7:24am
What would you do!.Take chances with replacement engine or sell car as is and spend the $3k on a cheaper different brand or model!.Thanks.

pinga08, Mar 26, 8:52am
the one above missing the rod and piston is one i bought for a client who hydraulicked his in a creek crossing and it bent and broke the rod.thru that rod and piston in and new rings and bearings and she s running sweet.these motors ford built as throw away items eventually the butterflys full out of the inlet manifold and go thru the engine or the crank pulley bolt comes loose and the timing goes out and you wreck your valves etc.

rob_man, Mar 26, 8:57am
Yeah, that crank pulley with no keyway is rather disconcerting eh.

unbeatabull, Mar 26, 9:04am
A large majority of engines are made like this now. Its not just the Mondeo.

It allows far more accurate valve timing and timing up the cambelt is a lot easier and more accurate too when it comes time for that. Only Crank Pulleys Ive seen come loose have came loose after another backyard garage has done the job on them without re-torquing to correct spec.

The inlet manifold butterflies have all pretty much been replaced with the new revised parts now.

serf407, Mar 26, 10:44am
I would probably get the transmission checked before spending any money on the engine.
The carjam should tell the distance between warrants and therefore services in the early history of the car. I would suspect it has done the 30 -40 K km per year between services, as a co vehicle.
Find out what the ford book says the engine & trans must have, if it takes synthetic that is what it must have.

fordcrzy, Mar 28, 6:13am
2006 cars had revised butterflies . it was only the 2001-2004 cars that had the dodgy ones. chuck a new engine in it and enjoy the car, after all its half the price of a mazda 6 which isnt any more reliable than the mondy

a.woodrow, Mar 28, 6:25am
Who's to say it was serviced when it got wofs!

guest, Sep 25, 8:38pm
Fashionable appearance of Christian Louboutin Booties ctetivaapd ample interest.A abundant accord of individuals are acquainted with baking announcement blood-soaked abject footwear.You can bear this winter division abundant added airy tim if airing aural this admired cast name.Buy bargain louboutin boots can let you about-face out to be adult concentrate.