Hydrolastic suspension pump

electromic, Mar 28, 8:45pm
I would like to buy/hire/make a hydrolastic suspension pump. I need to service the suspension on an austin 1300 here in hamilton, it needs a complete fluid removal and replacement so that the suspension valves can be replaced. There is a place in hamilton which will pump it up but they don't remove any old fluid nor vacuum the system to get the air out. Ideas please.

supernova2, Mar 28, 9:03pm
I made my own pump years ago out of an old clutch master cylinder.I never bothered to vacumm the system just refilled it.

To empty the system I just used to slightly undo the valve with a long handled valve tool.

Unusual to have to replace the valves though as once pumped up they dont get touched.

electromic, Mar 28, 9:58pm
Thanks supernova2, I didn't think of a clutch cylinder. There is fluid leaking out of both filling valves.

supernova2, Mar 29, 8:59am
The hardest part of the job will be getting youtr hands on the schrader fitting to attach your pump to the valves.I found with my set up that I had to pump, hold pedal down, back off fitting tap, release pedal, tighten tap pump and repeat.If you have seen the proper pump hose fitting you will know what Imean.I did think to try rekitting the cylinder (it was off a landrover) with a brake kit which would have added the foot valve, but never got around to it and gave pump to BIL when he had a 1300.Knowing him he probably lost it or threw it out in the weeds.

supernova2, Mar 29, 9:08am
http://www.elevenhundred.com/pumpup.php

There ya go much better idea.As for fluid all that NZMC used to use was 50/50 glycol antifreeze and water.Well at least the local branch did.You can still buy the proper fluid but why bother.

supernova2, Mar 29, 9:16am
http://www.airtecaustralia.com.au/featured-products/high-pressure-valve-chucks/

Thats the fitting you need.Nothing other than that will work or be safe given the pressures you are useing.

electromic, Mar 29, 9:32am
Thanks supernova2, I have seen a grease gun type pump used before on a mini but had issues with the valve. That fitting will make life easier. I have got most of the fluid out using an old tyre pump pipe with a locking connection and it is a mixture of all sorts.

supernova2, Mar 29, 9:39am
Might pay to crack open one of the displacer hoses (be carefull they rust) and try and flush the system out

babyonboardnz, Mar 29, 9:48am
jack the car up when filling easier to fill less body weightyears ago i owned a mk2 850cc with this system, we drain it to lower the body, but wof were fun you would drive up to the tyre pump blow up 45psi do the wof drive down the road then bleed the air out at the hoses dive away, the poor guy at the garage could never figure out how his tyre guns kept leaking cos the fulid would eat the o rings to death

electromic, Mar 29, 9:51am
Yes i plan on flushing the whole system out. I have 2 sets of displacers and good pipes if i encounter any issues. Thanks again for your help.

electromic, Mar 29, 9:55am
Thats funny and yes jacking up makes sense, weight wise. My 12 year old thinks its a perfect car for air bags! I'm not so sure.

smac, Mar 30, 7:46am
There's a bunch of home jobs for filling.grease gun, clutch/brake MC, but since you are going to actually open the system I would suggest a proper vacuum. Do NOT take the hoses off the bags as suggested above unless you absolutely have to- you WILL end up with a shagged connection, very difficult to repair.

I would suggest contacting your local mini club - they will be able to put you onto to somebody with a proper pump more than willing to help. They may charge, but I doubt it will be much, and it will be well worth getting done properly. A hydro system with air tapped in it is like driving a car on pogo sticks.

electromic, Mar 30, 8:48pm
Thanks for the advise smac, I have to open the system up as i have found a leaking connection in the rear and at least 2 flexible pipes are splitting. I will most likely remove the units, flush the pipes and install my spare set of units which look to be in much better condition and then Vacuum the system/refill. This car is very easy to work on almost enjoyable except for thehydro suspension and thats only because I don't have a proper pump.