Roller Door Adjustment

petermcg, Mar 28, 9:19pm
If my roller door on the garage when rolls up tracks to one side when nearly right up and jams, what would be the problem here.

intrade, Mar 28, 9:42pm
depends on how the door is constructed and if it is a new install or was working right and after years started to do this.
By the sound you got a self rolling door! like there is what i got roller door with chain and planatery gearbox and then there is the chain springoadedversion and then there s only springloaded versions for smaller doors.

mrfxit, Mar 28, 9:50pm
Beyond the point of jamming . does it run up & down ok!
How much room has the door got to move in side to side when closed /half open & fully open just before it jams

bjmh, Mar 28, 11:09pm
put the door down,try loosening the tracks and adjusting in so no side movement,usually caused by the door rolling up on an angle

petermcg, Mar 29, 12:21am
We have a new installed roller door with chain and planatery gearbox and spring. It has got heavy wind load guides so tightening the side guides up to help track the door is not and option. Door goes up and down reasonably well, after adjusting the tracks when door is up and sitting sqaure on the roll. Then we can roll the door down and then up again, but by the time it gets right up,, the next movement down jams up on one side and the track has to be loosened to get it moving again, so it is just moving over on the roll and not rolling up squarely, might be shifted accross to one side by about 15mm, will only come down then if you put some weight on and pull the door accross and down.

intrade, Mar 29, 12:47am
ok you dont have the door installed correctly i would say your whole door is not level on its support brackets.I use a laser level to install roller doors and they slide up and down like a smooth babys bum.
Adjusting the tracks wont do squat when your door hangs on aangle , you cant mesure from the floor as the floor is never ever straight and what ever wronggap you get on the floor when it closes is to be put up with or dealt with after instalation of the door.

intrade, Mar 29, 12:50am
also a problem i have with my door its opening is 4.2 meter high. if i fully open it it wont close it starts to unroll on the roll it self sticking up there on top as the waight of the door is lighter then the part that unrolls, so i usually only open it just above half way like 3 meter and if i need to open fully i know i got to pull down the skirt while closing it .

mrfxit, Mar 29, 12:51am
Yep THAT ^ ^

I was thinking of mentioning that the top brackets may have come loose letting the door twist a bit.thus causing the binding

petermcg, Mar 29, 3:07am
Yes this what is happening exactly, our door is 4.1 high and is doing just that.I think i will check to see if it is level, I did use laser, marked the wall and measured up, but imperfections in the wall and bracket could have put it off a bit, I will use a story rod and connect it into the end of the centre pipe, and then check it with the level.I though about making a water level for this as there are a few more to do.

lookoutas, Mar 29, 8:03pm
And I always thought you were a guy!

clampits, Mar 31, 3:26am
Hi Yes check the level, you can add weight to the bottom of the door so you can open it fully.Very common problem. Also look on the tension shaft and see if collars are fitted next to the ferrules, the door might be moving sideways as the spring tension comes off on opening.