Poor people disadvantaged on the road

Page 2 / 2
daryl14, Oct 11, 9:54pm
From what I've seen, they already get sponsored into V8 Holdens.

sr2, Oct 11, 9:58pm
I think it's very promising news.

Most people from the lower socioeconomic strata are poor because they were raised in environments where education, work ethics, financial skills, (etc) were seldom valued or practiced. The most predominant tendency they share in common is a propensity to breed like rabbits and be financially dependent on the state.

Surely (with a higher attrition rate) having poor people driving less safe cars will eventually raise the average income of us all?

Let??

tintop, Oct 11, 9:59pm
Well there is that of course Socram, but what about the people that ride motor bikes ?

trogedon, Oct 11, 10:09pm
This is ONLY about cars.

anenigma, Oct 11, 10:14pm
haha - mathematically that is not possible

robertchestnut, Oct 11, 10:16pm
very well said

pestri, Oct 11, 10:19pm
Simple solution. the poor take public transport. its a win win solution, they get to be safe, public transport gets better utilised and may break even at last.

extrayda, Oct 11, 10:22pm
Didn't bother reading the entire article, but it seemed to be saying two things:
1/. Poor people driving less safe cars.
2/. Much worse roads in the poor areas.

I don't think the second applies much here?
For the first, I would argue that if all of the wealthy people are driving these much safer cars with abs, radar braking, AYC or whatever else, then the wealthy people in theory are less likely to hit the poorer people - leaving them better off than if everyone was driving Morris Oxfords?
Maybe I'm a bit out of touch, but even my 97 Cefiro had four airbags and ABS. Those are not expensive cars. Both of my current cars are over 10 years old.

extrayda, Oct 11, 10:26pm
I think much tougher penalties would help more with the road toll.
Drunk driving - small amount over the limit - first time offence - 3 months loss of license and fine. Drunk driving well over the limit - first time offence - 12 months loss of license, bigger fine. Drunk driving - second offence 2 years loss of license, car confiscated and sold, proceeds to go to ACC or roading improvements. Driving while disqualified - 1 year loss of license - big fine. Etc. Small speeding offence= instant fine. Medium / Large speeding offence demerits / larger fine / loss of license if major.

extrayda, Oct 11, 10:27pm
Any of these things should be black and white rules, able to be applied instantly, no need for wasting time with courts etc.

tweake, Oct 11, 10:37pm
the other issue is the cost of repairs/maintenance of the safety systems.
air bags are meant to be changed every 10 years i think it is (not in nz).
also all the other parts that can fail and cost more to repair than what the car is worth.
having said that NZ is fairly lax compared to overseas. in some countries its very expensive to own old cars due to tax or meeting required standards. the average life of car is quite short.

tweake, Oct 11, 10:39pm
go drive around northland and try saying that !

gazzat22, Oct 11, 10:41pm
One reaon why Volvo Drivers are considered arrogant dorks is because they consider their cars are safer than others and if they cause an "accident"they/ll come off better even if they,re in the wrong!

tweake, Oct 11, 10:41pm
often they can't afford to live in aeras that have public transport.

tintop, Oct 11, 10:43pm
Of course - but 80% of individual drivers making their own self assessment simply assume that they are better than others in the general driving population.
The other 20% chose 'average' or 'below average'

It was a study carried out by the UK Road Research Laboratory years ago, I cant recall all the details, but the 80% figure stuck in my mind.

gazzat22, Oct 11, 10:47pm
Used to be like that in the 17th/ 18th century,one reason why suburban roads were so narrow,the rich rode in cars or carriages,the poor walked or rode bicycles.You would presumably like to go back 150 years ?Maybe if the publc transport system was better more people could and would.

tsjcf, Oct 11, 10:52pm
lol at least your consistent at posting rubbish back in March you were trying to take a seat with a air bag out of your Audi and put a non air bag seat back in now you need them all.
Stick to plagiarism it works better for you.

pestri, Oct 11, 11:04pm
You are right. there are no buses in Otara.

pestri, Oct 11, 11:05pm
Hmm the poor rode bicycles in 1795 riiiight.

tamarillo, Oct 11, 11:08pm
Yes I do , and you'll find times have changed and and ideas change too. And yes it's a bad bad thing to drive, but great fun oddly.
Oh and if typing safety bag instead of air bag makes me a moron then you sir are full of shit.

tamarillo, Oct 11, 11:10pm
My god what a memory. Unsure why you remember but there you go. I can't be faffed looking for your comments to plagiarise so I'll just leave you with your opinions. May they serve you well.

tamarillo, Oct 11, 11:13pm
Yeah. nah. You need to update your stifling cliche mate, times have changed and even the Aussies don't hold that bullshit any more.
Heres for Scott to win in Bathurst. Oh wait, he is in a Volvo. Bugger.

elect70, Feb 23, 4:37pm
Well then govt should subsidise new cars so we can all be safe . a new F type jag will do me nicely thanks .