Resealing the lid on a sealed car battery

mrfxit, Apr 18, 9:00am
Got a no maintenance battery here that for whatever reason was very low on water.
I managed to get the cell cover off which was glued down & added about a full cup of distilled water.
The battery has been fully charge now / is holding charge fine & works well.
The trick now is to re-glue the cover back on, but what glue would be suitable.
Oh & yep already well outside of any warranty.

melonhead1, Apr 18, 9:04am
Acetone might dissolve the plastic and so you drip a bit on and press it together so it fuses. If Acetone doesn't do anything to the plastic then bugger.
Try some of that superglue that can stick your fingers together in a flash.

m16d, Apr 18, 9:10am
Jeese. why didn't you just drill some eight'th holes in the top.

jason_247, Apr 18, 9:15am
just put it in place and get the battery clamp to hold it in place.

pico42, Apr 18, 10:18am
Araldite everywhere.

widespec, Apr 18, 3:11pm
acid resistant 2 pack epoxy

mrfxit, Apr 18, 9:06pm
LOL, yea but I didn't know how they had arranged the filler holes on this battery.
Also no way of knowing just how low it was till I could see inside.
They had in fact (as I found out), only supplied 2 holes in to the case & not at an equal distance from the edges (bigger gap between holes then on the ends.
Rats maze of cross vent channels in the lid so will have to pay attention when gluing

bjmh, Apr 18, 9:40pm
what about "no more nails " its amazing crap that sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

mojo49, Apr 18, 10:59pm
Just tape the lid on and use the battery clamp to ensure it stays in place That way you can check the fluid level regularly and extend the life of the battery by years.

aredwood, Apr 19, 3:53am
Check your charge system / voltage. It is probably getting overcharged.

mrfxit, Apr 19, 4:31am
Been in 2 other 'unknown' vehicles before I got it.
Last owner dropped it off to me because it wouldn't charge properly & was making funny noises.
Thats when I suspected it was low on water (& now proven)

msigg, Mar 6, 9:40pm
silicon it real good and bind both ends with string/something like welding wire.