Nissan X Trail good vehicle?

carl111, Feb 10, 6:43am
Seems a well priced family car, 4 stars for fuel economy - tow a small boat. Looking at 2 litre petrol

msigg, Feb 10, 7:08am
Excellent vehicle, good size, ticks all the boxes, big seller in Aussie. Handles good, roomy good vision. Go for it. Tow a small boat easy.

carl111, Feb 10, 7:34am
Cool - yeah haven't heard any negative!

msigg, Feb 10, 7:45am
Mate if you search there is always negatives for everything. I have always had good runs from Nissan, my Safari is 300k still going. Some people are more picky than others and some do no servicing so is it the cars fault?. Anyway whatever you buy always change the anti corrosion/coolant, more vehicles leave the road ( cooked, head gasket, pitting in head etc)because of not doing this than anything else.

carl111, Feb 10, 7:52am
Yep good advice, also someone suggested the 2L is under powered and def go for the 2.5L

motorboy2011, Feb 10, 8:01am
Father in law has one, 2L, cvt. Tows a caravan few times a year, recons it Tows it almost as well as their old Toyota Surf. Towing he says it uses the same amount of gas as the Surf did towing the same caravan, not towing he says it uses far less gas than the Surf also not towing.

carl111, Feb 10, 8:48am
Great feedback ta

kazbanz, Feb 10, 9:13am
great vehicle very carlike to drive--but be prepared for a fright first time you lean on the front fender

franc123, Feb 10, 9:46am
A handful of people have also got a fright when their transfer case exploded all over the road at random too, and again when the bill for new catalytic converters and 02 sensors arrived. But ahem yes good reliable Nissan ,no worries cheap motoring blah blah.

nzmax, Feb 10, 9:47am
Parents replaced their Maxima with a 2006 ST 2.5lt non cvt. Drove it quite a bit, nice to drive, rode well, well appointed, as previously mentioned very car like. Seemed to be good on fuel too. I wouldn't say they were overly endowed with power, though dad did drive a couple of 2.0lt versions before buying this one, and said the 2.5lt is the one to go for. Was a weird feeling leaning against the front guards, which if you don't know are plastic.

jojo76, Feb 10, 7:17pm
I was under the impression all 2.5 xtrails were CVT. off to check on my friend Google ;)
Edited - you learn something new everyday! Never realised you can get a 2.5 in a manual!

tamarillo, Feb 10, 7:41pm
But it's not a family car. It's an SUV. Which means old fashioned suspension and poor handling, road holding, and passive safety. Then it will always use more gas than a similar car or wagon. Then big expensive tyres.
If you don't need to go off road, really off road, get something suitable. It's like buying a hiking boot for walking to the local shops.
And you no longer need these to tow small things, it's rubbish. If anything towing with cvt is not best idea.
Any mid sized station wagon, or if you must something a but more upright like a soft roarer, runs rings around it.
The suv trend will die and they'll be a big pile of them in the middle of the desert road. We can sell tourist passes to go and climb it.
Try a Honda accord euro wagon. I had a NZ new 2008 and it was superb. Better in every way.

tsjcf, Feb 10, 8:07pm
Have you driven one?
look at the specs it has lower fuel usage then the accord wagon.
Cheaper tyres
Accord not showing an unbraked tow rating nissian has.
How is the Accord better in everyway?(comparing new for new )

floscey, Feb 10, 8:24pm
I sold 20 plus head gaskets last year for the QR20/QR25 engines , but not all of them were for X-trails . Same gasket fits a lot of the QR series .

nzmax, Feb 11, 10:11am
Theirs was a NZ new 2.5ST. I think when theirs was new, it was near the end of the 4speed autos before they went CVT. Not sure exactly when the changeover from 4speed to CVT happened in NZ new Xtrails, but late 06/early 07 seems to spring to mind.

tinytoolmans274, Feb 11, 11:55am
Ours is a 2010 2.5 6 speed manual.

tamarillo, Feb 11, 6:38pm
Yes I have. I like driving, I like handling, cornering, steering feel. I like a subtle ride without undue body roll. All things a wagon will best an suv. You can't argue this when an suv sits high, has big tyres, relatively simple suspension, and has to be a compromise design. Like trying to say a mountain bike can do same speed with same effort on Tarmac as road bike.
Accord averaged 8 litres per 100 km real world driving.
These days a new wagon can do even better.
Physics rules.
My wagon would have been shit off road, though handled gravel roads fine. I used in snow and ice a few times and was good. If it had been deep an suv would go further I agree, but I don't see deep snow.
The cash cow or whatever the heck it's called by Nissan is the more soft roarer and family wagon. It still up high so a compromise but much less and I think comes in front drive only which is telling. Latest version gets good reviews as road car for folk who like the whole suv style.
Buy something designed for job you ask of it.

tamarillo, Feb 11, 6:40pm
Ps, I also HATE CVT boxes for there lack of response and bloody awful noises. Some now have clever electrical intervention and new Subaru one does seem much much better. Again to some this is not important at all, but if your a driver. it's a least worth checking you don't mind it.
I note Audi are moving away from CVT boxes now.

bjmh, Feb 11, 6:47pm
We have had an X-trail for 6 months,my wife wanted a multiple seater for grandkids.The vehicle seems reliable,economical,functional-
,boring piece of mass produced modern motoring.One thing I have noticed is it tends to be effected by cross winds.No matter what modern vehicle you buy,they are all glass slipper's and should be treated accordingly.Nothing wrong with cvt if you get it serviced as per makers recommendations.CVT works well in this car.

carl111, Feb 12, 3:30am
Bought one today!

jmma, Feb 12, 4:47am
Congrats, enjoy (o:

zirconium, Jun 22, 2:42am
Well done, we had a really good run out of ours.