Help! 1996 Mitsi Lancer

Page 1 / 2
cherrybear29, Jul 12, 6:14am
Hey all help desperately needed. serviced a friends car - just the basics oil change , oil filter change, air filter change and added injector cleaner stuff from repco. Engine sound good but when its put in gear (automatic) it has F all power and then jumps forward - not so bad in reverse but slightly better. and white smoke being blown out the back (not really thick) when the accl is pressed.

There is a line (circled on photo) that is making an odd sound. sounds almost like when you try and suck through a straw with a hole in it.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/396613188.jpg

Any suggestions ?

jmma, Jul 12, 6:21am
How much oil is showing on the dipstick, did you drain auto by mistake?

m16d, Jul 12, 6:25am
Bingo.

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 6:26am
googled it - yes that appears to be what i have done. (bollocks) there was an oil filter above it that i replaced (part MD752072) with a new one Ryco Z411.

intrade, Jul 12, 6:51am
if you draind the trans dont start the thing untill you put at least 3 liter fresh dextron 3 in the transmission. make sure the thing actuarly uses dextron

supernova2, Jul 12, 6:51am
Dont think the Z411 is the correct replacement for that filter either just to make your day. The MD752072 is the transmission filter not the engine oil filter. The Z411 is the engine filter

intrade, Jul 12, 6:52am
when you dont know what your doing you should not do things and especially not for other people

jmma, Jul 12, 6:54am

jmma, Jul 12, 6:55am
Yes Mum :oP

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 6:59am
Thanks for the help - needless to say wont be doing that again - will refill the AT fluid - Will Supercheap and/or repco have the correct filter?

intrade, Jul 12, 7:00am
so what exactly did you do because i am still not sure?
drained the trans fluid and fitted a trans filter on the engine?
and overfilled the engine with engine oil and then started it to get to post 1?

intrade, Jul 12, 7:03am
engine oil filter they will have the right one trans filter maybe. maybe not.
atf is filled thru the trans dipstick mesured level with engine running on automatic transmisson. if you cant get a good reading on automatic trans fluid you have to shut it off and 5 secounds after shutting off take a reading on trans dipstick.

jmma, Jul 12, 7:03am
Sounds like drained trans, fitted oil filter to trans and overfilled motor.
Trap for young players (o:

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:04am
drained trans fluid and replaced trans filter with oil filter - oil level was SERIOUSLY low to begin with so that isn't an issue (will drain off a little)

Essentially mistook AT for oil

intrade, Jul 12, 7:04am
also if the transmission fluid looked like engine oil then it is overdue for a transmission service. atf is nice red wine colour and has a destinctive smell.

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:05am
it def needed changing in that case - it was DARK (like a car over due for oil change)

intrade, Jul 12, 7:08am
so you know how much you drained out of the trans that is the amount to fill back in befor you start it . try and get a trans filter if you cant you have to spin on the old filter. i assume it must be external filter as most automatic have internal filters .

stevo2, Jul 12, 7:11am
In did the same on a 96 Lancer many years ago.
Was showing my boy how to change engine oil on his car and it started coming out red.
Quickly screwed the bung back in losing only about 100mls of fluid.
Bloody stupid Lancers lol.
Bit embarrassing for me though

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:11am
yep thankfully saved the fluid - def external - old one was damaged in removal so not an option

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:12am
this was black or i might have realized by mistake - glad im not the only one

brapbrap8, Jul 12, 7:14am
Hopefully no harm done then if you didn't try drive too far,
Might go better even.
Good durable cars those 90's Lancers.

intrade, Jul 12, 7:15am
if you can get the trans filter you could do the transmission , you will need to make sure it runs dextron 3 dextron 3 is backwards compatible if it uses dextron2 for example you can used 3
You would need to unhook the transmission cooler hose whom returns the fluid to the transmission to do a manual flush. of dirty fluids
but i dont know how confident you are or how confident i am in you haha.

intrade, Jul 12, 7:17am
if your not sure if it runs dextron buy 1 liter with pull out hose and have a smell you will remember the smell of dextron for ever , it has a smell just like most old type manual gear oil also has a strong smell.

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:17am
Fair comment :S at this point just gonna put it back as is (new filter obviously) and leave well enough alone

Lesson learnt

cherrybear29, Jul 12, 7:18am
thankfully no where - i at least had the good sense to realize something was wrong