Subaru ej18

Page 1 / 2
greghale, May 1, 4:04am
Just put a new motor in after cooking the old one Put on new dizy cap and rotor and new timing belts. Now at low revs 3 and 4 have no spark But when you rev car up spark returns. wtf?

intrade, May 1, 5:23am
bad earth conection loose earth point, is my guess

greghale, May 1, 5:46am
ok thanks I will look at that in the morning

greghale, May 1, 9:32am
any other in put?

alfred011, May 2, 11:28am
Shaft in distributor may be worn and the points aren't opening at low speed .

greghale, May 3, 6:41am
no points. it a 1990ti . I am now thinking i have not got the cam timing right .the cam timing is also the dizy timimg. ?

alfred011, May 3, 9:28am
With those motors you fit 1 belt ,rotate crankshaft then fit the other belt .

greghale, May 3, 10:04pm
No it has only one timing belt

mechnificent, May 3, 11:09pm
Are you sure it's the spark ? You aren't saying that based on the fact it starts firing on all four when you rev it up are you ? You have had a timing light on each plug lead and checked that's what is happening huh ?

Is this the old dissy or one that came with the new engine ?
If it's new then swap it or it's rotor and cap with the old ones. use a process of elimination by swapping the old bit's back on.
The air gap in the dissy you are using might be out. that could cause the problem. That's the gap between the shaft's rotor and the sensor that triggers the ignition.

mechnificent, May 3, 11:11pm
You might have damaged the H.T. leads too when you pulled them out of the old cap. test them for continuity with an ohm meter.

greghale, May 5, 8:53am
changed leads around .The old cap and rota melted when the motor cooked. checked coil and now checked cam is running true . checked timing of cam.All marks line up .Putting in new plugs tomorrow.But have changed them around .still the same
pinking at low revs

greghale, May 5, 9:07am
and no spark . well very weak spark on 2 and 4

intrade, May 5, 11:18am
so 2 and 4 are on the same coil right? and 1 and 3 is on a other coil?

gsimpson, May 5, 11:25am
Make sure you haven't reversed connections on coil. This will give weak spark.

intrade, May 5, 11:25am
also i assume you have not done what i told you , because you probably just dont understand what i asked you to do.
You have to perform a voltage drop test on both power and ground side of the ignition supply to the coil , also make sure the coil plus and minus are not the wrong way connected as it will make a spark and even run at high rpm when you connect a coil wrong i fixed kawasaki bike where the guy just connected the coil like the other and when my diagnosis pinpointed the coil with my oscilloscope i looked at the coil and plus and minus was oposite so he had connected it wrong with exactly the same symptoms , they spent 3 years to try and sort it took me also 6h till we went for the test drive and it was fine after.

intrade, May 5, 11:25am
lol snap

greghale, May 5, 11:28am
only one coil for the motor .And didnt take coil out

greghale, May 5, 11:29am
and put in extra earth straps

gmphil, May 5, 11:31am
must be dissy cap has crack or the rotor is faulty I would replace both new

intrade, May 5, 11:34am
ok so the coil fires all 4 pots that means the problem is in the distributor cap, the lead or the plug .
as it can not make good spark for 2 pots and bad spark for the other 2 pots with just 1 coil
would need to see the whole ignition design as some have a pickup with a plate and a light sensor where it fires when the light shines thru a hole and the plate was oiled up and the holes covered in muck causing it not to fire , would be another one if it had that system type

greghale, May 5, 11:38am
thanks intrade.I did look at your input I just didnt reply Sorry

intrade, May 5, 11:38am
is that what your coil looks like because if it is then its classed as 2 coils and one side of this coil can fail internally on this one to make week spark for 2 pots-
http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/d8/a5/9ec3_35.JPG

greghale, May 5, 11:41am
Thanks will look at this tomorrow

gmphil, May 5, 11:52am
did a cambelt on a 2005 impezza last week that looks like injected coil !

intrade, May 5, 11:59am
post a picture of your things . otherwise we be guessing a single coil will only have 1 wire out of it going to the distributor where the rotor then distributes the spark to the 4 leads. on this coil it cant be making 2 good and 2 bad sparks
if this is your coil then it cant be faulty in any way and the problem is after the coil
http://www.japanautoteile.de/parts/files//148121.jpg
I cant rule out the ignitor of course untill i know what it uses but the coil you can rule out if that is the one