Toyota Surf

Page 2 / 2
intrade, Dec 31, 8:30pm
Coolant is clean changed every third year and anti freez added.
this puts a cooling system issue as low
ok i want you to start the engine and pull the transmission dipstick you have to mesure the trans fluid with engine running because thats how you mesure trans fluid on this old automatic trans and look if its cold should be near cold mark if its hot should be near hot mark?
and look in the brake fluid bowl is the fluid level ok still same level as last time you looked. and if you never looked is it near max level mark?
report these 2 fluid levels where they are at right now.
i am building a list of causes and rule them as high or low priority to look at again. thats how i diagnose things , always have done and thats how professionals also diagnose electronic faults, only you cant look at things without a oscilloscope inside the electronic junk. Scantools can lie to you as that is "processed data" so i dont like to trust them i want to go look for my self whats going on.

hohoho7, Dec 31, 8:43pm
Brake fluid at max, Trans ok at cold mark.

intrade, Dec 31, 9:02pm
ok 2 things just moved to the top and i dont think you like to hear that
Your rings on the engine and your turbo .
Now.1 does it use oil ?
2. How easy does it start from cold does it cough out the exhaust cold?

hohoho7, Dec 31, 9:11pm
Uses about a litre every 2 months.Starts easily but coughs and farts and when going can hear turbo whistling out exhaust

intrade, Dec 31, 9:20pm
turbo whissle is normal i got a video of my charger on the vw i love the sound it makes . basically what i hear at 1700rpm is grumble grumble weeee. ee and i am gone in 2 secounds .
the reason you hear the charger out the exhaust is because your baffles in the muffler no longer exist. Diesel wont even need a muffler if they have a turbo so the whissle is making it straight out the tail pipe.
my noise you hear from under the bonnet different charger to yours i have a variable gate charger whom boosts hard at 1700rpm already due to its chip tuneing map it runs

hohoho7, Dec 31, 9:29pm
Brand new muffler 6 months ago

intrade, Dec 31, 9:29pm
now back to yours i want you to remove the crank breather vent and bypass it in to a bottle to see how much blow by your engine makes .
you will have to block the port on the intake hose with something and put some clear hose or something on the breather in to a fizzi drink bottle or similar and then go for a good drive from cold start over normal to hard driving on a hill all conditions. then you look what is in the bottle.

hohoho7, Dec 31, 9:36pm
At 65 I have already got the picture and after already spending $4000 on it the time has come for it to shuffle off the perch.RIP.

intrade, Dec 31, 9:44pm
you need to figure it out if its the turbo it be a cheap fix if its your number 3 cilinder worn , then i would like to know how long ago was the head done?

hohoho7, Dec 31, 9:44pm
I thank you for your time and knowledge,was kind of hoping for a quick fix but now realise the end is nigh.Safe motoring

hohoho7, Dec 31, 9:49pm
The head was done 3yrs ago,if I replace the turbo and find I need to do the rings then it will not be worth money spent on it.

intrade, Dec 31, 9:50pm
this is what it should not sound like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOjrTva_yzA

this is what a good charger sounds like
yours should spinn at 2200 to 2500 rpm like this
the sound can be ok and the turbo leeks oil on seal so check what noise you have from your charger as cheap test to say yey or ney on turbo list mooving up or down the lsits of cause turbo is cheap fix piston is R.I.P

intrade, Dec 31, 9:58pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cAvqUgjr4
thats what yours should sound like not the same engine but most probably the same charger on end you hear it whissle when i gives it some throttle that vehicle sounds as it should do for a indirect injected diesel T belt not changed haha as per light on dash

intrade, Dec 31, 10:09pm
now to find out if the rings need doing you have 2 options
number 1 a compression test looking for uneaven compression
number 2 a blowby test.
personally i like blowby test better as that shows if the oils is from the sump, and then of course i would then check compression afterwards and if compression tests good you would want to see if there is a restriction of the sump breather system somehow or if the turbo blows in to the sump haha , i dont know if thats possible as my hilux engine went to the scrap metal. i post the story of my hilux in next post.

intrade, Dec 31, 10:17pm
rite toyota are undistructable as seen on top-gear.
yes so i went and got me one from a local auction house in the 1990s
cilinder head in the back i paid 1500$ roaduser charges overdue by 5000km when i purchased , was told they fix it and no it was not turners auction they are off the hook.
roaduser was never paid by them because you could not pay it unless it had a wof . i know because i did try and pay it my self after they had not done this.
Right So only a cilinder head is needed me thinks . i get prices for a new one they need valves shimmed etc cost 2500$ upwards back then just for a head , so i hunt for other option . and start checking engine for if block is still even and then i see piston number 3 has play like hell compaired to the others.
So i pull the engine and what do i find a dual mass flywheel on the end of it . and it is busted clonking freely back and forward on its non repairable friction disk.
So now i need a head a piston and a flywheel .
Gee. toyota are undistrucatble i was thinking , my view has changed quite a bit by then.

tweake, Dec 31, 10:22pm
first thing to do is a simple test.
take it for a quick drive to warm it up.
then park it and leave it idling for 10 minutes or so.
then look a the exhaust and have someone stand on the throttle.
if its blows white smoke then turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust.
if it blows clean then need compression check.

one important thing, these normally blow heaps of oil out the breather so its hard to tell if they have heaps of blowby.
check that the breather is not blocked up.
also need to check the breather screen thats inside the rocker cover. the screen gets clogged up and blocks the breather.

with a blocked breather the blowby forces oil out the turbo seals and you end up with blue and white exhaust smoke.

intrade, Dec 31, 10:24pm
so i start hunting for a flywheel they can make you one solid mass for 750$ back then if i bring in the ring from the old flywheel.
hmm so thats 750$ plus 2500$ for parts , and i think i wonder if the injectors are ok or not . because that be another 750$ just for 4 new nozzles
so i think it might be cheaper to get another engine rite.
on the hunt i go
Flywheel on engines only the 2,8 non turbo have a solid mass from factory . hmm cant find one of them plus then i increase my cc rating and need a possible cert on top.
So i find a toyota chaser 2.4 automatic and i know i can get older engines 2,4 and 2.1 with flywheels solid mass on these older engines .
so now i got a non efi 2,4 same everything but no flywheel as the automatic runs a flex plate.

intrade, Dec 31, 10:33pm
i get a engine from a 1982 ute to use the flywheel on my automatic engine. since it is the same block.
got the engine count bolts on my automatic 8 bolts count bolt pattern on old 1982 engine 6 bolts , cant use that flywheel on newer engine .
and the old engine has a finger big hole in the aluminium cover whom is part of the engine.
But that engine is the one topgear could not destroy .
so i remove the cover and see if i can get a new one yes can 180$ the last one in country . i take it to a aluminium welder and see if he can weld the cover yes can do 40$ plus it was to repair , said ok do it 40 is cheaper then 180 so i just got a new seal for the cover and all other seals on engine new befor i went and fitted the 1982 L block in to my LN-130 hilux.
only 65hp non turbo and 2.2 liter not 2.4
drives normal on flat surface with that engine for towing on hills i need low range gearbox but it makes it had a 2,5 ton digger on the back once.
afterwards it got registered as my tractor and its now still sitting outside on hold as my tractor . Still starts fine as seen on topgear the head is a rocker roller type not bucket and shimm rubbish whom cack between the valves like what the ln130 originally had.

intrade, Dec 31, 10:41pm
Ah yea i put tape over the check engine light back then , like homer simpson! as my engine has no electronic crap to operate with. lucky the 4wd stuff runs without info from ecu input-from engine but i did let it all in there charging system also works dont think you could do that on a commonrail toyota d4d pile of crap

intrade, Apr 6, 5:38pm
re-post yours at the end again