Vehicle brakes/from other thread

henreitta, Feb 5, 3:20am
I was just reading in another thread,{ over in general } about somebody had purchased a car, not suitable to be driven it would seem . Everdently a "second hand " brake hose was fitted by a garage/mechanic. Is it really true that anybody would fit a used brake line, im no mechanic by any means and even basic stuff is done at garage,but surely a break hose couldnt cost too much, and wouldnt you replace all the brake hoses for saftey reasons., Just interested in peoples thoughts
Thanks and have a good rest of the day.

yogibearz, Feb 5, 3:25am
Its a case of no money equalling substandard repairs. I would never fit a second hand one but you would be surprised what some people will do.
I would hope that 99% of workshops would do the same but regretfully its probably not the case.There should in my opinion be a law restricting what dismantlers can legally sell.

kazbanz, Feb 5, 3:32am
Henrietta- Lets say its like NOW-customer rolls in with no brakes due to leaking brake hose. They "need" car going so mechanic offers to fit a second hand but serviceable brake hose. Is it unsafe? definitely NOT
Is it best practice NO.
Another scenario is that the car owner grabs a hose from Pick a part and asks the mechanic to fit it for them.
Again not best practice but better than a car with no brakes.

If you saw the smouldering piles of pustulance that some people are happy to drive you would see this as a pretty minor issue.

toyboy3, Feb 5, 4:12am
Every car on the road has a used brake hose

henreitta, Feb 5, 5:48am
Thanks all, I was just wondering after reading the thread,yes i agree,better than no brakes ,after my last experience of a lady in auckland city who wrote off my last car cause her car had no brakes, couldnt believe it really but that,s life i guess. Have a pleasent evening all

mrfxit, Feb 5, 8:16am
Totally agree.
S/h anything in serviceable condition is far better then an item thats stuffed.

Not best practice but then again why would I put brand new parts on a vehicle with a realistic life span of about 10.000kms when I could get good serviceable s/h parts for far cheaper

skiff1, Feb 5, 9:59pm
perfect answer!

nzangel1, Jul 5, 10:19pm
Replacing such parts using second hands, the problem is how much use has it had? other than looking for defects you wouldn't know. a new replacement I think would be more logical.