Lowering the road toll. Your ideas.

Page 1 / 3
daryl14, Dec 3, 6:45am
Yeah well. You never know. It could actually work that way if everyone else changed the mindset.

edbabynz, Dec 3, 9:03am
Need for speed need for speed need for speed. You say you don't have it but this post and your references to the time it takes for you to get from Porirua to Cambridge and detectors in previous posts seem to suggest otherwise. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

2get1, Dec 4, 5:29am
um one of those posts is about a personal trip, the comment is work related and about why trucks shouldn't be banned from the outside lane.

My personall trip to deliver a vehicle I had sold, had to get to cambridge and back. there wasn't a "need" for speed. I didn't need to but I wanted to,there is a big difference between needs and wants they teach that at high school in economics you know.

I wanted to travel up there and back as quickly as possible.didnt want to be stuck in traffic or behind self appointed hall monitors, nor get a ticket for some ratshit amount. That's why I left a 4 or 5 am. Notraffic on the road no cops till around 7am. Yeah 4hrs 25min to Cambridge gives an average speed deducting 10 km for 50 km etc zones. average speed of around 110km/h no big crime, done comepletey safely. no accidents, no tickets no drving complaints and no drama, Nice enjoyable road trip, as they all should be.

The speed I do or don't travel at is of little concern to you. Im a safe aware driver that knows his own abilities and that of the vehicle.

As the return trip was in a new vehicle I had never driven before and it was later in the day.I swapped vehicles and drove straight home but took another hour I think it was.That was mainly due to more traffic on the road.

The point about trucks etc was to show how absurd someones suggestion was that all delivery trucks stay in the left lane and it doesn't matter ifit takes twice as long for them to complete their days work. It was acomment based on the practicality or lack there of,of what someone suggested.It was not about a need for speed.

The need you claim I have gets a dam good scratching at the race track.

I enjoy the ride / drive as you said, a lot more when it takes less time as it leaves me more time for other stuff and I find no real enjoyment in being stuck behind people who wont even do the open road speed limit.

clatty, Dec 5, 10:21pm
2get 1 should give up writing all this stuff get down to the library read some technical books and get out of driving trucks. you cant survive on a minimum wage for ever.bud

henderson_guy, Dec 6, 12:45am
You just make yourself sound like more and more of a twat.

clatty, Dec 6, 1:07am
2get1 can write stuff this tells me he can read plans etc. I know cabinet makers have to use workers to assemble things only because they cant read plans.He is wasting valuable time writing stuff for us. there is no pay back. He has a four year old son to set up later.I think he is a good guy but wasting valuable time.The trouble with trucks when we walk away for the last time there is nothing to show for the years gone.

2get1, Dec 6, 6:57am
speak for yourself fool. you were the one that couldn't abide by the rules, got pinged for log book offending and RUC issues. Some of us keep our trucks and books all legal and above board. Just because you probably had your truck financed to the hilt and had to firesale it off. Doesn't mean everyone in a truck is as stupid as you. Mines 4 years old and freehold.

Im not wasting my time driving for anyone for a wage, self employed, my truck and a thinking person is always putting money aside to reinvest back into their plant when it reaches the end of its life. So if I decided to walk Ive got a truck to sell plus the savings for its replacement.

I love the way you can tell everyone via public statement on a message board that Im not making any money and would be better off working for wages in a fucken wood work factory. God you are both condescending and stupid.

Do you want to compare incomes for the year ? Mine for the hours I work is bloody good. I only work 28 to 30hrs a week in winter and amore honest 45ish in summer peak workload season. I can assure you Im not working for minimum wage. Its somewhere between $100k and $150K but Im not telling you what I earn. Clown.

You are a ignorant old fart who has no idea what he is talking about, did you manage to figure out what I used to do for a job yet. lol

clatty, Dec 6, 8:13am
I know owner drivers who are so desperate for money they shift flat lot furniture for $30 per hour during week ends so you are indeed fortunate.

jantar, Dec 8, 4:21pm
No, no, no!

I was part of the campaign in the 1970s to encourage motorcyclists to ride with their lights on at all times, so as to make them stand out from cars. See a headlight coming then its a motorbike. That worked well for a number of years, but now more and more cars are driving with their lights on, and that point of difference for bikes is being lost.

bill-robinson, Dec 8, 6:12pm
why? surely if you see an artificial white light coming towards you it is a vehicle?

clatty, Dec 8, 6:18pm
I have to agree jantar . I had a truck which I thought had head lights on following me It turned out to be two motor cyclists in front of the truck. I came close to turning off the road in front of these bikes.

purplegoat, Dec 8, 9:19pm
Clearly you missed the point Henderson guy made in post 68
He's sitting on legal limit of 90 for a HV with cruise control set . Some toss pot barrels past him in right hand lane then moves into left lane and drops back to 80 . There's only one muppet in that scenario and it ain't Henderson guy . Unfortunately I get it regularly when towing where some muppet blow past me in a passing lane only to then slow down to slower than my cruise control speed of 90

purplegoat, Dec 8, 9:27pm
Are u one of those tools who just has to get in front of the truck no matter what ? . Honest answer to these questions

1 Do you dive into left hand lane at traffic lights and then bury the boot to get past that truck before lane runs out in 30 meters . If truck accelerates quicker than u expect you just move right anyway
2. Start your passing of a truck well after the 200 mt sign . afterall the truck will driver will simply ease off to let you one space ahead in the queque
3 undercut a truck approaching a red light and then dig in front of him forcing them to brake heavily

pestri, Dec 8, 9:37pm
1. Bring back the 40 mile (say 60k) road /rail rule, taking most heavy trucks of our provincial roads.

2. Ban modified cars. i.e an end to the boy racers in the noisy WRXs and the lowered Nissans.

3. As already mentioned above, take the speed radars from police hands. i.e, make them police driving behaviours not arbitrary limits.

sw20, Dec 8, 11:03pm
Which also includes, hot rods and resto mod classics eh?

GTFO.

pestri, Dec 8, 11:18pm
Ho t rods have no place on our roads, restored classics should be just that, .

2get1, Dec 9, 12:58am
really, what a narrow minded cock. I suppose the only care allowed on the roads are the ones you drive, the ones you like or the ones you find appealing.

so you want to remove from the roads, all later model modified cars,ie the boy racers type of car and all hot rods and classic cars. wow I thought clatty was an fwitt, seems theres more that one on the boards.

I take it then all the late model falcons and commodores that have been lowered, different mags and an exhaust done, have to be removed as well.

tweake, Dec 9, 1:45am
the road/rail is a nitemare and inefficient.
not a bad idea when roads where mud and gravel, but not these days.

modded cars, its a driver issue not a vehicle issue.
at least boy racer cars are easy to spot.

behaviors, that i like. but it is very open to interpretation which makes it open to abuse. also the rules are rarely enforced now, making more rules doesn't solve anything.

bill-robinson, Dec 9, 2:08am
funny how a big part of the world disagrees with you regarding rail

tweake, Dec 9, 3:14am
most countries are not some small island like nz.
a drive from north to south in nz is considered a local drive in a lot of countries. in europe you drive through 4-5 countries to do a delivery.
kiwis tend to forget how tiny NZ is.

also some countries do not have the trucks or the decent roads. rail is the only option. some places the extremely old roads are not fit for trucks.

and yes they should improve rail so bulk goods can actually go to/from port by rail. but forcing trucks to only do local deliveries is really poor.
having them stand around waiting on the train each day is highly inefficient.
don't forget all the extra handling. more gear required, more staff to pay, all your goods will go way up in price.

pestri, Dec 9, 3:15am
That is maybe because they have never had the imperative to change. Lacking custom they regress by the month.

pestri, Dec 9, 3:16am
So everybody pays an extra 5c for their toothbrush.

pestri, Dec 9, 3:18am
Yup, such mods speak to the mind of their drivers afaic.

2get1, Dec 9, 3:23am
Can any of you saying trucks off the road, over 60km radius by rail, actually remember what it was like back in the day when that was the way it was done.?

Country held to ransom by the fucken lazy inefficient wankers that were the rail workers. The amount of damaged and stolen goods how slow it was to get anything from Auckland to Wellington. It was like a week, not over night like it is now.

You would get shafted by the rail guys if they felt like unloading you stuff, God it was a joke. If you want to go back to that you are mad.

I understand some stuff should be on the rail. More logs perhaps going to the port, more container movements but most metro freight that is line hauled down every night is not suitable to go rail.

The rail pricks used to just go slow or on strike whenever they felt like it and you are mad if you think that rail is still not heavily unionised and that shit wouldn't happen again.

pestri, Dec 9, 3:27am
Yep, could drive without competing with 50 tonne of 40ft decks in the gorges and on the hills, scooting along in front of you at 80 kmh on the flats and 110 on the passing lanes