Lowering the road toll. Your ideas.

Page 2 / 3
2get1, Dec 9, 3:31am
Yeah but can you remember how hard it was to get consumer goods, ree you're u I anyway involved in the metro transport industry to know how bad it was.

pestri, Dec 9, 3:42am
The issue with consumer goods has then , like now, sfa to do with the trucking industry.

tweake, Dec 9, 3:58am
and the rest !

to go by rail, my goods would be loaded here, trucked to the train station, unloaded and stored. would need warehousing, loader drivers and management to run the place. need refrigeration/ cold store for perishables.
then double it as you need that at the other end as well.
at a minimum add on two days just for handling. tho more likely due to volume it would be a whole lot longer.
at the moment we load it, truck drives it down there and the buyer unloads it. simple and cheap.

if its a 60km limit then you would need train station and warehousing, plus staffing, within every 120km.
the build cost would be enormous and the running cost would be huge.

all just so you don't have to deal with a few trucks on the road. most of which your still going to run into anyway as they are on your local roads.

2get1, Dec 9, 4:25am
So their cars aren't to your taste. God the world would be a boring place if everyone liked the same thing. So hitler what do you think everyone should drive that is acceptable to you VWs or the other staple communist car the lada lol

Talk about narrow minded.

2get1, Dec 9, 4:30am
You would still have trucks everywhere on local gorges and roads tho, nearest rail head is 60km away, how do,you propose the goods get from the rail head to the retailers, suppliers, end users ? Private helicopter ?

The deregulated the rail system many years ago for a reason, it was super in efficient, unreliable, country held to ransom, slow as hell and in now way capable of change. Did you ever go to a railhead to pick up a load of something or a few cartons. Sometimes you would wait there for hours, and if you moaned, it was hours more or the pricks would go on strike. Fuck you might aswell propose going back to the horse and cart. And if you look at the stats trucks involved in linehaul are not diss proportionally represent in crash stats.

sr2, Dec 9, 5:18am
I have to agree with you; I'm old enough to remember when we had no choice but to use rail, it was an absolute inefficient nightmare!

peja, Dec 9, 5:19am
1) Its not a bad idea in theory, but has some workability issues in practice. Trucks do iimpose loads on main roads that cause damage the cost of which outweighs the taxes levied on the industry. Perhaps an offsetting levy on particular routes where there is a direct rail alternative?

That said truck drivers are mostly very good and not the cause of the vast bulk of problems on the road

2) The issue is not bad vehicles its bad drivers (as others have pointed out). In my experience drivers of modified vehicles actually have an interest in driving and tend to be vastly better than average (with some exceptions). They tend not to be rolling along either comatose, texting or on Facebook etc

3) . and her I agree totally 100%. Its behaviours that cause crashes, not speed. Speed merely worsens the outcome. Drivers that dont even know basics like keep left, that follow people at 2-3 metres at 100 kmh (had this the other day) or worst of all are distracted with phones etc, they are the problems that need addressing first

purplegoat, Dec 9, 6:01am
You don't actually have to COMPETE with trucks as you call it . Like many it would appear you don't understand the concept of share the roads
And hey I've never yet seen a truck doing 80 on the flats that then does 110 in the passing lanes . and if they are doing 80 on the flats then use your right pedal and pass when safe to do so

pestri, Dec 9, 6:25am
So lets then have a look at the state of mind of one who disagrees with my claim that hot roads, lowered Falcons and noisy exhausts speak to their state of mind of their drivers.

" I wanted to travel up there and back as quickly as possible.didnt want to be stuck in traffic or behind self appointed hall monitors"

"Yeah 4hrs 25min to Cambridge gives an average speed deducting 10 km for 50 km etc zones. average speed of around 110km/h no big crime,"

" The need you claim I have gets a dam good scratching at the race track"

"speak for yourself fool"

"God you are both condescending and stupid."

" You are a ignorant old fart who has no idea what he is talking about"

"really, what a narrow minded cock. "

"Country held to ransom by the fucken lazy inefficient wankers"

"So hitler what do you think everyone should drive"

"Talk about narrow minded."

pestri, Dec 9, 6:27am
So in what area of the Awakino gorge should I apply that wisdom?

2get1, Dec 9, 6:35am
I don't drive a lowered falcon or commodore or anything of the sort lol if you must know I drive a boring doublecab 4x4 diesel ute, nice try tho better luck next time

sorry you had to waste all that time with your copy and paste to not actually make a point lol

and rather pointless to take one sentence out of the context or conversation or reply it was used in, to try and use for another purpose, try being the operative word

2get1, Dec 9, 6:43am
yeah but restricting goods to rail only and truck from rail head out to within 50km. Tell is the distance from awakino gorge, either end and the middle to the nearest rail head.

They deregulated the rail for a reason,it was crap and since the topic was about lowering the road toll. This massive investment in rail needed,plus all the new stations and warehouse facilities, staff and the slowing down of productivity, raised costs etc etc because of what ? how many fatal crashes are caused by trucks doing linehaul work. The stats Ive seen suggest bugger all. So really your suggestion is uneconomic, wouldn't work and couldn't be affiorded.

Theres plenty bigger fatal stats to chase than the tiny percentage caused by trucks.

pestri, Dec 9, 6:45am
Fact is that just a few decades ago all that infrastructure was largely in place.

Since the removal of the 40m rail limit, here in Taranaki we have lost a great deal of railroad capacity We' ll never get it back.

Gone is the Eltham to Opunake spur, gone is the Stratford to Taumaruni line. still there but so very badly degraded and unused. Gone are the various stations in small towns, Gone are the rail cars etc.

Further, most of Taranaki is well within the radius proposed, of the town railway station of Stratford.

For some time I have heard the trucking industry(RTA) claim super efficiency for the RT industry, but t hey have never divulged such figures. Bu I do know that milk, for instance, can be transported by rail from Manawatu to Hawera Fonterra, for cents a cube as agains dollars a cube for road tanker.

Frankley I do not believe that the claimed financial efficiencies exist.

There was a major issue with the railway goods delivery system. The answer was to fix that.

But instead we have let our rail network go to ruin as we spend hundreds of millions on truck routes. you know. the roads of National Importance in some areas while we ignore others. We thus subsidise or truckies extensively while they persuade us that if not for them , we'd pay more at the supermarket for our goods. No t only do i think thats arguable, even if kit was proven true, I rather be paying an extra 5c for my toothbrush that continually be stuck behind some 40fter with my hand in my pocket to pay for the roads he claims he must have.

Time to tell the RTA to fek orf I think.

pestri, Dec 9, 6:49am
Oh I think I made my point, you are an aggressive personality who by his own admission has little regard for the speed limit and cusses when anyone fronts him up. Just the sort of truckie I have come to love.

2get1, Dec 9, 6:57am
talk about talk out of your arse, you can judge how I drive a truck from a couple of lines on a message board lol wow really lol

your attempt at a dig with regards the lowered falcons etc failed and now you are frantically trying to turn it around. didn't work chief.

so whats your justification for saying there should be now hot rods on the road, nor lowered flacons etc or boy racer type cars.

Hitler just because you don't like them, doesn't mean others don't.

as to the trucking industry do you know how much RUC's cost ? the boffins in the LTSA and other government agnecies charge for the damage to the roads. And given that most of us own more than one vehicle but can only drive one at a time, I think we are paying our way.

The rail industry was a joke. you clearly never tried to pick something up from a rail depot or have something moved quickly. Theft was rife, it was slow, expensive inefficient and being the union pricks they were, went on strike at the drop of a hat and held the country to ransom. Thankfully those days will never be seen again.

try learning how to share the road, everyone else does :)

and you are dreaming if you think it would merely be a 5c price rise on a toothbrush.

pestri, Dec 9, 7:17am
And to demonstrate you are not such a personality you reply. : talk about talk out of your arse

Hitler just because you don't like them,

And yes, I know how much RUCs cost I have owned trucks since before RUCs were introduced, and currently still have a heavy, for which I believe I most likely pay more per tonne/1000 than you pay.

henderson_guy, Dec 9, 7:23am
If it's time and money efficient to use rail as primary mode of transport, then it will be done. The fact that rail is so under-utilised suggests otherwise.
You will find that companies such as Fonterra, Mainfreight and Toll are investing in rail sidings at the moment, Kiwirail has invested in a number of new rolling stock (and I understand more are on the way) and there's a lot of work underway on rail infrastructure. So yes, it's there and it is utilised. You will find that most of the freight carried is containers and logs, heading to ports for export.
Unfortunately, there is still a lot of freight being lost/damaged when sent through rail.
One with trucks is that (generally) the freight can be loaded at one end, and go directly to the other end, thus minimising the handling and potential for damage to be caused. Time critical consignments can also be handled more efficiently.
Rail is also unable to transport over-dimension and RO-RO loads.They also can't really do "Line drops" short of dropping a whole wagon at a siding. So again, limited.
The short of it is, rail will always rely on trucks, so while the infrastructure can be and is utilised, you're going to have to accept that there will always be trucks on the road.

pestri, Dec 9, 7:29am
And unloaded at the other.apparently we must all wait and/or take a detour when they unload in the middle of the road at our local Pack & Save.

pestri, Dec 9, 7:32am
Gosh that must be why there were always exemptions to the 40m limit do you think? And if you read my original post, you will see I did not claim that it would remove trucks from our streets, but from our provincial roads.

henderson_guy, Dec 9, 7:32am
And rail would solve that how? I'd suggest your issue is with your local Pak&Save not providing an adequate loading bay, not with the truck driver who is only doing what he is told.

2get1, Dec 9, 7:38am
nice avoidance of the questions, deflection, smoke and mirrors you still haven't told us why all those vehicles you mentioned shouldn't be on the roads lol

perhaps that own goal you attempted when trying to label me as driving a lowered falcon or whatever didn't quite pan out like you wanted it to lol

and yes someone that tells others what sort of vehicle should or shouldn't be on the road, is in effect telling them what they can drive, so very hitler'ish. if the cap fits chief, pop it on your head.

purplegoat, Dec 9, 8:14am
I gave 2 bits of advice is post 133 . Nothing startling about what I said just logical common sense that any driver with a few smarts would comprehend
But if you can't figure out on which parts of the road to apply them well frankly driving isn't for you .

For the record those 2 points were

. share the road , don't compete on it
. If a trucks doing 80 then pass when when safe to do so

purplegoat, Dec 9, 8:18am
And you don't think you'd have to wait whilst a train was backed into to unload 1-2 carriages ?. Yeap that's really efficient to put a rail line into every supermarket .

purplegoat, Dec 9, 8:25am
And you think rail is not subsidised ? . Rail certainly has its place in the supply chain for bulk commodities going from source to final destination but once you get beyond that it becomes highly inefficient .

I suggest you learn to share the road with rather than compete with trucks
For the record I am not and never have been a truck driver but drive every weekend from Wellington to Taupo and back usually late in the evening when's there's lots of trucks on the road . I have no problem safely passing trucks and am very rarely behind one for more than 3-4 kms

serf407, Jul 10, 3:15am
https://youtu.be/Tu6cL51T6lY (More Skid Pans ) and zigzag thru the cones with a car training around NZ. https://youtu.be/WOQS4IKDlfE (Official testing of collision avoidance systems so only cars with good systems are sold new and imported used on NZ roads) https://youtu.be/oKgWk-U4eMI (upskill the road builders, permanent road sign placement, road designers and road markers))
Re-introduce 6 month warrants - or a 6 month interim safety check between yearly warrants.
Better steering checks at warrant time.
High tech zektas when changing punctures or stopped on road side.
Better monitoring of large truck speeds - roadside downloadable tachographs etc

Do they have chinese/ asian language gps for campervans/ rental cars or other warning device to keep the vehicle on the correct side of the road.

Keep most of the roads cycle free - heavy fines for cyclists using roads - gradually build dedicated cycleways/ partitioned roads for them, where appropriate.

Maintenance of helicopter rescue services to save lives after accidents.

Development better beverages with alcohol taste but alcohol free - Claytons 2.0