Toyota Vitz RS 1500 Chain?

motig, May 21, 6:34pm
Its a 2001 and I gather it has a chain not a cambelt. Just thought I'd verify with you guys.

andy61, May 21, 8:27pm
Yes they use timing chains.

catz21, May 21, 8:33pm
I have one and yes, it's a chain. One of the biggest reasons I decided to buy one! :)

motig, May 21, 10:07pm
That's good then, don't have to worry about getting it done then.

kazbanz, May 21, 11:57pm
definitely chain drive

NZTools, May 22, 12:11am
Until the chain stretches

franc123, May 22, 12:27am
There is no guarantee having a chain is going to mean zero expenses on the timing system.

kazbanz, May 22, 12:31am
I agree with your comment having had a couple of VVTYi units give issues. BUT as a rule the Vitz system is pretty burstproof.

intrade, May 23, 7:48am
oil changes every 10,000km is a must if you dont want variable timing chain problems. chain work are 10 folds the cost timing belts cost when it packs a sad due to incorrect = lack of basic servicing

kazbanz, May 23, 9:46pm
Sorry mon but definitely NOT correct.
direct comparison based on personal experience.
Toyota starlet cambelt job came to $700. needs doing every 100k
Toyota Vitz camchain replacement job including the VVTi unit replacement came to $1100.
As it turns out the camchain didn't need replacement due to misdiagnosis by the mechanic. The noise was the VVTi unit.
Given it isn't normal to do a VVTi unit the camchain job would have been $800 with every indication its done every 300k or so depending on the cars treatment.
With improved coolant technology and better manufacturing water pumps are lasting much longer than back in the 1990's .

msigg, May 23, 10:05pm
yes correct Kazbanz these chains are easy to do , not that you have to worry about it with these cars anyway, seen plenty with 300k hot miles no probs.

tgray, May 23, 10:11pm
$700?
The local garage down the road used to change the Starlet cambelts for $200 parts and labour. (Not water pump).

thunderbolt, May 27, 5:14am
Kaz, I have spoken to 3 workshops this week who have done Vitz chains lately, one of them has two sitting in his car park today waiting to be done.
Chains very badly stretched past the point the tensioners can reach.
One of them has only done 80,000km

franc123, May 27, 5:45am
Its not that uncommon, 105-120k is pretty usual for ECU objections to chain stretch. But hey the public and dealers don't like belts, despite the warnings about chains but hey if they want us to hand them bigger invoices then no problem.

kazbanz, May 27, 5:55am
yet I keep tradin em back in with 200 plus k's and no worries re chain.
I guess it stands to reason chains in some examples abused they will stretch fast.
What does get me is that the japs figured out what was wrong from the "old days" of camchains running everything --yet have gone right back to it

noswalg, May 27, 6:35am
The missus has an 05 RS Vitz, no problems with the camchain yet (86k's) but it has developed an issue with the ABS, haven't had a chance to pull the wheels off and check the sensors yet but the light goes off with the ignition and stays off until the brakes are applied (I just drove down the road about 2 k's and it stayed off until brakes were applied) The ABS is not currently working, any ideas or experience with this issue? Sorry to the OP for the hijack.

cummingsra1, May 27, 6:49am
2001 NCP13R Echo with 218,000kms here, no history of camchain being replaced, no issues with it (touch wood).

kazbanz, May 27, 9:25pm
First place I'd be looking is the wheel sensors

intrade, May 27, 9:41pm
i would plug in a oem capable scanner and pull the code and then you have more of a clue where to look for a problem , codes are hints of where the problem is and not what part needs replacing.
Abs is not a emission code so is only showing with oem capable scanner like techstream and other capable scanners and its software because its the software decoding the 0 and 1s in to something meaning full that needs to be in a tool.

intrade, May 27, 9:41pm
to check wheel sensors you need a oszilloscope.
all you can do is inspect wiring for damage i like to scan first if it tells me right front wheel speed sensor fault on my android phone and my software whom is oem capable for toyota i look there first but not exclusively because system design is the next thing to know and study .

intrade, Sep 7, 2:25am
also i am not here to argue i was talking the chain drive is worn due to gunged neglected oil changes wrong oil what ever it takes to fully destroy the chain guids and gunge up the oil pickup. causing it to no start due to timing out , that costs 10 fold to repair then to fit a new timing belt on a non interfearing toyota engine