New Vehicle Prices

fmadams, Apr 29, 7:02am
Why are vehicles so much more expensive in NZ compared to Oz? We have near parity with the Oz dollar and cars are imported from a common source, so are our dealers here ripping us off?

rovercitroen, Apr 29, 7:12am
I see some dealers here on TM are selling low km imported cars from Oz. There must be some profit in it which reinforces what you are saying.

intrade, Apr 29, 7:47am
some have come down like fiat panda and the suzuki. NEW as in brand new

3tomany, Apr 29, 7:57am
The discount structure in NZ is huge. Just don't be dumb enough to pay full price otherwise you get what you deserve

countrypete, Apr 29, 8:10am
Australia has: Lower GST, Lower dealer margins, higher volume (fixes everything) lower transport costs. BUT, the advertised or list price in oz isn't what you pay, with statutory charges and state taxes added in all cases.

3tomany, Apr 29, 8:19am
also our love affair with bells and whistles means spec levels will differ even if it has the same name

sharchew, Apr 30, 11:47pm
We are further away so higher freight charges

bodypainter, May 1, 12:44am
I guess it's partly the cost of living in the most isolated country in the world. living in the US has opened my eyes to just how much more we pay in NZ for just about everything (including our own meat!)

intrade, May 1, 6:12am
yea this country is the worlds most expensive place for food. and it was cheap once compaired to europe in the 1990s , so we just get ripped off left right and center. i know for a fact that supermarkets chareg 100s if not tousends of % in markups, from a local guy whom sells honey he charges 7$ for a pottle and this exact same pottle was in the supermarket for 17$
so take a guess the supermarket is not going to pay him what he sells it for on the local market you can be sure of that and even more sure they wont pay him more then he sells it to the public .
that one alones is a minimum of over 100% markup
not the bullox they say we only put 25% markups on products.
beer in swizerland cost 70 cent a liter and bubbely water is like 25 cent nz
a liter for 1,5 liter water . cheese REAl cheese not the crap they sell as chese here is 17$ a kilo and lower . only meat prices are high in some places like switzerland but are 40% lower in germany
the only thing we dont get ripped is electronics like computers but you cant eat computers

gsimpson, May 1, 6:21am
With the amount of shipping moving about that is unlikely.

lysanzd, May 1, 6:27am
not entirely true most new car dealers have drive away prices which mean all reg an stamp duty paid already

shorebee, May 1, 9:00am
cars are pretty cheap compared to 10 years ago, they havent really gone up, like a house that has doubled.

lusty9, May 1, 12:28pm
um a car isn't like a house though so theres no comparison with the two.

mojo49, May 2, 6:45am
Retail prices for cars in NZ are based on "what the market will bare." That is the maximum price a purchaser will pay before they become resistant to the price. It has nothing to do with any cost of any sort. It is a basic business maxim that prices should be set at the highest level the market will bare. NZ'ers are renowned for a lack of bargaining behaviour and they are not presented with as many makes/models to choose form as larger markets. With the distributors of all makes following the same price setting maxim, there is minimal price competition between equivalent makes/models. Any reduction gained by a purchaser is a function of their bargaining ability/power. If you want prices to come down for new cars, start bargaining harder and don't let emotion push you into a quick purchasing and hence soft price decision. Harden up and prices will drop until the dealer margins reach a point where only the lean and mean can survive.

mimik3, May 2, 7:09am
Where in Switzerland is beer 70cents a litre.
I think you are talking a load of shite.
And yes I have been to Switzerland.

cammey, May 2, 7:19am
Nissan Navara DX 4WD double cab. List price on Nissan web page $44700. Advertised here on TM at $34395. Can be bought by hard negotiator for $29k.

brapbrap8, Feb 16, 11:14am
Like the Mitsi Triton, list price $56k, sale price $30k.