Selling a vehicle privately.what to watch out for

1dragonfly, Oct 29, 10:49pm
Hi there, I have sold my truck and am worried that the new owner is going to try an come back at me in some way as I forgot to put AIWI on the sign. I told him it was AIWI when I talked to him but he said I had to get a WOF for it as it has to be less than 30days since last wof because I hadnt written it down.any other loops holes I should be aware of!

bellky, Oct 29, 10:51pm
you don't have to have a fresh wof if he's signed something to the effect of aiwi.

if it had a fresh wof and you told him aiwi then you are in the clear - stop worrying

bellky, Oct 29, 10:53pm
and if you think he's being unreasonable or whatever, tell him to take you to the dt

1dragonfly, Oct 29, 11:14pm
cheers belky :o) As it happens I did get a wof for him.piece of mind for me as much as anything lol. I have a reciept thing written out I will get him to sign etc when he comes that states as is where is and no warranty etc.truth be told its being sold so cheap if he gives me a hard time I will tell him to p off!

crzyhrse, Oct 29, 11:18pm
Was it the piece that differentiates between the correct word and the incorrect word for a sentence!

crzyhrse, Oct 29, 11:20pm
At the end of the day if you weren't aware nor could reasonably be expected to be aware of any problems the risk is entirely on him. If he wants extensive coverage he needs to buy from a RMVT and pay for it.

bellky, Oct 29, 11:26pm
sounds like the right attitude

1dragonfly, Oct 29, 11:31pm
well I often say I am losing my mind! now I know where I am putting it!

P E A C E :o)

franc123, Oct 30, 12:15am
Don't panic, you are doing the right thing, if this isn't agreed to in writing then you sell it to someone who does, especially if he hasn't bothered to get it checked over by someone who knows what they are doing.Also make sure that this person does the change of ownership before it leaves your property, even if it means using your credit card and doing it on the computer at your place.I think the fee is still about $10, here you go,

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/transact/

Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

1dragonfly, Oct 30, 12:43am
Thanks guys :o) The guy was really nice in the end so I am hoping all is well!

steampunkwilly, Jan 16, 6:45pm
People try this bullying tactic all the time either to try to knock some money off the sale price or get you to sign onto a warranty that they can use to claim against you if the vehicle breaks down after they take possession. He is taking the piss and he knows it. Tell him to rod off. Personally I feel all second hand vehicles sold anywhere are implyed on AIWI basis.