Thinking of buying a diesel

Page 1 / 2
jhw2, Nov 15, 5:03am
I've run 3 litre petrol Jaguars for several years, the current one being a 2008 XF. Thinking of upgrading to a 2012 XJ Turbo Diesel. Obviously I need to make sure I don't use cheaper sulphur diesels. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Many thanks in advance

brapbrap8, Nov 15, 6:27am
How often do you do long drives out of town?

jhw2, Nov 15, 6:30am
I do a round trip of 90km on almost a weekly basis

brapbrap8, Nov 15, 6:39am
That's good, diesels really do not like only being used around town.

I bet you will like the diesel XJ, the modern euro diesels are fantastic to drive.

andrewcg53, Nov 15, 6:43am
It will cost you extra 6.2 cents/km in RUC's

jhw2, Nov 15, 7:04am
Thanks for that - I figure this will be largely offset by the difference between my current 14.5l/100km from the petrol to a quoted 7.1km/100km from the diesel, and the recommended service intervals are the same. Whilst I don't anticipate I'd regularly achieve the latter, it'll still be a reasonable offset for the RUCs - and better than my E Type Jaguar which I can't get better than 20l/100km from. I love my Jaguars, but I don't buy them for fuel economy :-)

jhw2, Nov 15, 7:06am
Thanks - certainly nice to drive, but it's the first diesel car I've ever driven. Surprisingly quiet and smooth, and very quick off the line

Just discovered it's fractionally too long to fit in my garage though!

andrewcg53, Nov 15, 7:17am
You won't get 7.1km/100km if you do town driving it would be closer to 14km/100km even if doing long drives it is closer to 9km/100.

m16d, Nov 15, 7:49am
A diesel Jag. OMG what next.

andrewcg53, Nov 15, 7:50am
A diesel lambo True not a joke

monaro17, Nov 15, 7:31pm
Rubbish. I have a diesel territory and official figure is 9.0. I do 80% highway and get 8.2. Purely city around 10.5. Long runs I get in the 7s. That jag would be far more economical so would easily get under or around 10 in the city worst case.

nuberanda, Nov 15, 7:58pm
I drive a 2l Skoda Octavia diesel, it gets between 6.9 and 7.5 around town, and 5.8 on open road,

survivalkiwi, Nov 15, 8:01pm
You ADMIT to driving a Skoda.

illusion_, Nov 15, 9:07pm
Take also into account the price difference at the pump between petrol and diesel. A further win.

bwg11, Nov 15, 10:02pm
I doubt if moving from a 2008 XF I (assume 5.0 litre petrol) to a 2012 XJ V6 diesel would be an upgrade. Of course there will be an economy gain, but why lumber a fantastic luxury performance sedan with an rather industrial diesel. If you do huge annual mileages I can see the incentive to go diesel, but work out your total running costs, including depreciation, RUC, insurance etc and you will find the diesel saving is quite a small percentage of total running costs

In my opinion the 5.0 litre XF would be a much nicer drive than the XJ diesel. That said, the diesel is the same motor as used in the Discovery 4, and would be by far the nicest common rail diesel I've driven, and they seem to last well too.

jhw2, Nov 15, 11:02pm
My XF is a 3 Litre Petrol. Not really buying a diesel to save any money, but they no longer import any 3 Litre petrol as NZ New. I drove the Diesel XJ because I saw it, and it is certainly impressive. My purpose for asking the original question was really to see if the Diesel was something I should steer clear of. From all the above comments that doesn't really seem to be the case. Still making up my mind as to what to do though. Thanks for your reply

survivalkiwi, Nov 15, 11:17pm
So you are buying a $100000 car and a worried about spending a little extra on fuel?

budgel, Nov 15, 11:18pm
I remember coming up behind a diesel Jag in my E38 BMW 740i at the traffic lights on the Kamo bypass. I was impressed at how good it was off the mark when the light turned green.

jhw2, Nov 15, 11:20pm
No, I'm not spending $100k, and neither am I worried about the cost of fuel or any other running costs - As above, having never owned a diesel I was establishing whether or not there was anything additional to look out for compared to a petrol equivalent.

intrade, Nov 15, 11:25pm
well does this jaguar have adblue ? if not then it will suffere the same faith as any other diesel short trip driving cloging up the dpf, emissions are all cheated not just vw all cheat and last question is this now a chery or a tata because these 2 own jaguar . older jaguars where just ford monedo diesel as far as i know

intrade, Nov 15, 11:32pm
i had a quick read thru this there is much more details but for generic overview on diesel this should do you
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/diesel-particulate-filters/

passive regeneration is only completing if you drive 50km at moderate speed with no stopping in one hit , if not regeneration will abort and try again and again and again till your engine oil is so dilutet that it destroys the engine and the filter cloged light on instrument cluster will start flashing = only repair shops can force it to regenerate with a factory capapble diagnostic scanner. plenty more info i made loads of threads about this and ulsd problems.

tamarillo, Nov 16, 5:28am
We'll Tata own jag but allow independance and having poured lots of cash in they are finally making great cars. The Mondeo platform was used for the old X type only and has nothing to do with these.
I'm no expert on this clogging up dpf business but do know my brother is on his second land rover with this engine and this doesn't seem to be an issue in Europe. Same basic engine as territory I believe.

sanders4, Nov 16, 5:37am
jhw2 dont muck around with garage - i will swap you a nice Terrano D21 that will fit in well and your diesel will fit in my garage quite nicely ! No cash needed - I will give you a free box of good red wine though just to sweeten deal.

3tomany, Nov 16, 5:59am
could be a PSA engine

intrade, Nov 16, 6:00am
read up buddy he has a petrol jag not a diesel , he is asking about diesel
Any diesel with dpf will suffer what i posted only if it has adblue it dont needs as long to regenerate and juck fuel in the sump in the exhaust stroke.