Toyota Prado and D4-D motors

geoff_m, Jan 16, 8:28pm
Anyone have any opinions on the Toyota Prado which has the 3l D4-D diesel motor?
I think this was used in the latest Hilux utes, which haven't been Toyota's finest effort with injectors etc. I am looking at a 2012 Prado, so hopefully any inherent faults have been fixed.
It will be used for towing a double horse float - about 2.5T braked, and a bit of mild towing trailers etc on the farm. Real offroad farm work gets the tractor.
I thought a Range Rover was compulsory for towing horse floats, but apparently not.
Yes Jazz, I have read your comments on various VWs in the past to save you retyping them ad being completely unrelated to the question asked.

msigg, Jan 16, 8:34pm
I would talk to the dealers about that. I think all the issues were sorted out by then, most wore sorted under warranty anyway. Great machine, very sort after.

intrade, Jan 19, 5:10pm
ok the problem on toyota d4 was 2 things one was the washers below the injectors where not good enough to withstand the bounce from commonrail injectors and they crushed and then play developed so the injector got more bounce untill combustion gas could enter the gap thru the washer and blue the injectors bending them and then they would not function correctly .
the secound problem is what affects all diesel the ulsd ultra low sulfur problem. once a conterminated fuel is in the tank without a diesel additive rappid agressive corrosion occures and insufficient lubrication on some batches of ulsd fuel where also a problem.

This destroyed injector nozzles premature = new injectors where needed at low miles or when ever this distruction took place.
The fix was toyota fitted new injectors with a flash upgrade to the ecu.
Now this was all that you will have read in the media .
Here is what exactly happened.
Toyota switced to ulsd save dlc coated nozzle whom are more wear resistant to corrosion and insufficient lubrication.
These injectors respond faster then older nozzles so the ecu needs to be running a different programm for the now faster respons time.
This are the 2 fixes
I do not know when this exactly was introduced and if it was done to all new produced engines or if this was only the option they took to fix the self distructing ones under warranty.