Compliance question

stevo2, Jan 5, 3:51am
14 months ago my son bought a 04 fielder from a local dealer as a fresh import.
He since moved to Gisborne and travels back and forth frequently. He just rang and said he has a scraping noise like a stone stuck in the front wheel. He removed the wheel but could see no problem. The wheel turned freely.
The noise is there when moving but is louder when braking.
A Gizzy garage has told him it needs new front pads.
Does compliance require pads to be a certain thickness when vinned as I don't see how he could wear them out in 20kkm. He is a conservative driver.

andy61, Jan 5, 3:59am
New brake pads are not that expensive, fit some new ones and move on! ,some of the cheaper pads dont last long and maybe your son is one of those drivers who rest their foot on the brake pedal.

bwg11, Jan 5, 4:09am
With the wheel off it should be easy to check the pads, some pads have steel "clips" designed to rub on the disc when the pads reach their service limit thickness.

stevo2, Jan 5, 4:14am
He doesn't rest his foot and is a conservative driver. He is in his 30's.
Not a problem if he was here because I trust my garage but I would be pi55ed if he went to one of those that up sell to the non practical and charge for unnecessary work or worse still, remove a stone and charge for new pads and rotor skim.

pfemstn, Jan 5, 4:23am
you don't mention the number of km,s its travelled in total! regardless its a safety issue just get it fixed and move on as suggested above!

jcwholesale, Jan 5, 4:37am
20000kms, Gizzy to Tauranga frequently. I thought he has done well. A 12 year old car, with pads that passed cert so they were not new & you want someone else to pay. Mmmmmm really. Less than $200.00 general service item. Ohhhh I just thought, been squeaking a while & the disc's are now rooted, so more cost, you didn't tell us that. Mmmmm again. Ohhh you want new disc's as well. Really

_peas, Jan 5, 4:37am
20,000km at the end of the first post.

From my time in compliance I think that the story was there were some standards markings that Japanese pads could have meaning that they were compliant and so long as they are over min thickness then I guess its up to the dealer if they want to put new ones in. My experience with dealers would be probably not. This was quite some time ago.

skull, Jan 5, 4:40am
I would say that the pads were within specification when checked for compliance but now the warning tab on the shim behind the pad plate is touching the disk and making a noise. I'd throw in a new set of pads if I were him or you could shoot down there for a look see and do the job for him. The pads don't need to be new for compliance, just within specification so he maybe never started off from new pads 20k ago.

m16d, Jan 5, 5:01am
Yer. left foot braker.

I don't rest my foot on the pedal. yea right.

stevo2, Jan 5, 5:02am
For a start I never expected ANYONE else to pay and nowhere in my above post have I ever hinted at it. If it needs new pads and or skim,it will get them and he will pay.
All I asked was what was required on the pads for compliance to acsertain whether they could wear in 20,000km?

stevo2, Jan 5, 5:04am
Thanks skull

mad_signtist, Jan 5, 5:07am
Mate. I can get ya some cheap rotors and pads if ya like

stevo2, Jan 5, 5:20am
Thanks for the offer Jason but the job will be done by a garage in Gizzy. They will supply and fit if necessary.
Cheers Stevo

mainlander05, Jan 5, 6:53am
The new pads are softer so wear a tad faster.as said,they were OK for compliance and are now worn out.just normal wear and tear item.like threw.oil.wipers etc.pop in new ones and away you go.

curlcrown, Jan 5, 7:56am
No one on this planet can tell you that brake pads will last 20000km with someone else driving. There are simply to many variables.

sandypheet, Jan 5, 7:59am
3 mm minimum friction material on pads, 2 mm on brake shoes.

stevo2, Jan 5, 8:05am
Perfect. Thanks.
I just got off the phone from him. The pads were replaced and rotors skied today. The pads were shot.
$240 and he's happy as.
Thanks to all who had positive replies
Cheers Stevo

kazbanz, Jan 5, 8:28pm
Stevo-It sounds based on your description that the pads were thick enough to pass compliance. Son got 20k of driving out of the pads so my GUESS is they were half ish worn given they were (pre pad replacement)down to the wear strips.
The rule of thumb (rather than law) is would a normal driver wear them out in 12 months/14k

stevo2, Jan 5, 8:41pm
Thanks Kaz. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.
I knew pad wear was inspected at compliance but didn't know how much wear was allowed.
The job has been done and he is happy.
Cheers Stevo

esky-tastic, Jan 5, 10:31pm
Were they brand new 20,000km ago?
Or just thick enough to get through compliance 20.000km ago?

elect70, Mar 20, 9:04am
Last time i saw them doing compliance ( on my rangie ) they measured the pads for minimum thickness & checked the brakes generally .