Now Holden is off

Page 1 / 2
nave12, Dec 6, 8:03pm

mm12345, Dec 6, 8:27pm

floscey, Dec 6, 8:45pm
Maybe they are just delaying the decision untill they have bleed a few more millions out of the Auzzie taxpayer.

floscey, Dec 6, 10:24pm
I wonder what our friend Splinter will have to say about this this ?

steveo351, Dec 6, 10:34pm
GM pulled the pin sooner then i thought, but we new it was coming

inkapuka, Dec 6, 11:50pm
Thought they were cutting the utes out of production?

jmma, Dec 6, 11:54pm
It's not official yet and Ford did it first, that's the only time they come first. (o:

Note = Just standing in for splinter while he is having a holiday or two.

steveo351, Dec 6, 11:57pm
ford came first at bathurst

nzjay, Dec 6, 11:59pm
Went for a ride in a very late model Camaro the other day. a hard out ride on a very twisty road.
I have to say GM have vastly improved the handling of their sports vehicles since getting their hands on a few HSV Holdens and seeing where they were getting it wrong.
Now they have it right, they have little use for Holden in Australia.

jmma, Dec 7, 12:02am
When? Did I blink and miss that one. So how many times have Holden won again?

steveo351, Dec 7, 12:10am
yep chevy powerd holdens have won more times at bathurst then ford powerd fords

steveo351, Dec 7, 12:40am
i wonder what cars the cops will be driving when the falcons and commodores are no longer?

jmma, Dec 7, 12:44am

edangus, Dec 7, 1:21am
Evos & WRXs I reckon. After all it is a "target" market.

elect70, Dec 7, 1:43am
^^^ na no good for towing the boat ( mufti cars ) maybe those oil burner BMWs govt going to get rid of .?

freedomaira320, Dec 7, 2:52am
They'll still be driving Holdens and Fords. They just won't be Aussie designed or made in Australia.

nave12, Dec 7, 6:40am

poppy62, Dec 7, 8:34am
BMW 530 diesels they are cheaper,(to the cops) faster, safer, more economic superior in handling and ride than the Holdens. this from a head cop up my way. Reckons they had them in UK and they were Fantastic

3tomany, Dec 7, 7:22pm
well written report

afer_daily, Dec 7, 11:01pm
dacias

franc123, Dec 7, 11:37pm
Its all media speculation at this point, so before anyone else gets excited nothing has been confirmed yet by anybody. Silly statements like in that above report about "discussions with Govt about its long term future" are meaningless, such discussions have been going on since about 1978 FFS before the first Commodore was even launched.

franc123, Dec 7, 11:50pm
The big snag with that is that such vehicles will be a total nightmare to operate in rural NZ because they are so poorly supported by a miniscule dealer network, we are not the UK with BMW agents in every place that calls itself a town, and the bean counters/decision makers/lease co's will have to take this into account. GM's own Malibu or perhaps Mondeo would be chosen ahead of something like that. Its also highly unlikely that such a vehicle would be available cheaper than what they are currently operating. Diesel Mondeos have already been under evaluation.

strobo, Dec 8, 12:02am
Nothing surprises me ! Probably 4 door French Renaults ;-)
http://www.carmag.co.za/road-tests/comparative-road-tests/mg6-18t-4-door-luxury-vs-renault-fluence-20-privilege/
I'll still be driving my old commy & waving a finger at them anyways lol

mm12345, Dec 8, 12:27am
Aus isn't the only country to subsidise the auto industry. Germans and Yanks do too, Aus subsidies supposedly somewhere in between the high US subsidies, and lower German subsidies.
When I was in Aus, one company I worked for had a fleet of about 100 cars, Almost all Commodores and Falcon/Fairmonts. Fleet discounts were massive even for a medium size business like that. I get the feeling that over the past couple of decades, very few and a dwindling number of holden/ford sixes would be sold to private buyers. In fact I'm trying to think of anybody I know in Aus who has one at all these days, private or company car.

wizardmaster, Dec 12, 3:19am
(Sorry my bad grammar) I think that Holden Commodore & Ford Falcon are nice model and six to eight cylinders engines. However people feel doesn't like too big engine. Why not put 4 cylinder engine eg 2.5L with Commodore model for sedan and wagon. People can buy that 4 cylinders recommend a fuel economy and longer range. I seen number MOST favourite Mazda 6 are winner. That why people ask to HOLDEN about 4 cylinders engine with commodore. They didn't answer or ignore. Now, too late They are gone ! Shame & Bye HOLDEN & FORD.
Remember in 1982 Holden Commodore SLX Wagon have 4 cylinders is best fuel.