Now Holden is off

Page 2 / 2
rob_rooster, Dec 12, 3:48am

fordcrzy, Dec 12, 4:48am
GM are in a worse financial position than Ford. so why anyone thinks they can stay operating up to 2020 is beyond me. it was just a game of "Who will pull ouit first" and ford who have been given SFA assistance compared to holden pulled the pin first. holden should have never been given any more money for operating the way they did. how many millions did ford miss out on because holden were undercutting prices . imagine if your buisness rival was quoting and doing work 20% cheaper than you and then went bankrupt , only to be bailed out and start up again and steal your work all over. thats exactly what Holden has done to Ford.

2sheddies, Dec 12, 4:54am
They already tried that, and it was a disaster. The 4 cylinder starfire (basically a 6 with 2 cylinders chopped off) was an absolute pig of a thing. Gutless and certainly not fuel efficient, due to the fact it usually had to be worked hard to achieve some modicum of performance in such a big heavy car. Many people claimed they used more juice than the Holden 6's.

3tomany, Dec 12, 5:03am
I wish splinter was here to share the great news with

freedomaira320, Dec 12, 5:11am
They've proven over the years that they're no good at building cars like that. The only reason both Holden and Ford have continued so long is because they both produced a niche car that their parent companies had stopped making i.e. large rear drive 6 cyl saloons. Problem is, nobody wants cars like that any more. And the smaller 4 cyl cars that everyone wants can be made much more cheaply (and better) in the bigger markets. A logical boardroom decision made in Detroit.

pebbles61, Dec 12, 5:23am
It's like watching the death of Leyland all over again lol

tgray, Dec 12, 6:05am
And to think how they absolutely dominated car sales in Australia 20 years ago.
I don't think there cars evolved quick enough. The big Aussie 6 just feels so 90's now.

3tomany, Dec 12, 6:09am
yip i love em the big aussie inline six that is but time has caught up no point on dwelling on it for us few dinosaurs left

mone, Dec 12, 6:37am
Truth is, global demand for large V6 and V8 sedans has declined heavily since 2007 (which is when Toyota overtook GM as biggest automaker). A demand decrease of about 33%. The writing was on the wall. If you don't adapt to the changing environment, you die like the dinosaurs. And as OZ dollar increase through roof, and OZ wages too, there was only going to be one outcome.

3tomany, Dec 12, 7:38am
just helping splinter in his absence a quote from a different thread //// splinter67 wrote:

Thet will be around long after the demise of the coon.While you fellas are driving your 4 cylinder mustang copies we will still be able to get v8 comodores

rustihammer, Dec 12, 8:11am

nave12, Dec 12, 8:14am
Had to laugh reading this quote cause i remember reading it from the thread and fairly well knew gm was going to cull off its ozzy manufacturing arm(don't like to say that horrible six letter word)

serf407, Dec 12, 8:33am
The Chev impala is used as a police car in the US.
http://www.chevrolet.com/impala-4-door-sedan.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Impala http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/06/9th-gen-chevy-impala-continues-on-as-2014-impala-limited-rpo-central/

The Audi a6 is used as a police car in the UK.
Was it a Mitsubishi front wheel drive that was used as a police car in NZ and lacked front end grip?

mm12345, Dec 12, 9:41am
Don't overestimate okker ingenuity
http://www.auspolcars.info/vic/ptc_bps21042004rh_1.jpg

mone, Dec 12, 9:57am
it will all be irrelevant when next time GM goes bankrupt and Toyota or a South Korean carmaker buys out GM.

2sheddies, Dec 12, 10:11am
I have a real soft spot for the Holden 6's. Great motors. Rugged, reliable, smooth, straightforward, easily modified and so simple to work on.

mone, Dec 12, 6:19pm
GM will still sell some Holdens, in Australasia, only the manufacturing plant is going to be relocated to another country. Holden will still have a sales and dealership network in Australasia. Although later on GM might rename or replace the Holden brand.

franken1, Dec 12, 6:23pm
That would put an end to police chases.

steveo351, Dec 12, 7:48pm
LMFAO soooooooo funny.
R.I.P. HOLDEN

steveo351, Jun 24, 9:09am
One thing has been bugging me about all this and v8 supercars, I think they must have been told in secrecy along time ago about the ending of the falcon and Holden as it all came out after the COTF was being designed, remember this type of racecar lets in other manufactures. Conspiracy theory or just perfect timing hmmmmmmmmm