Battery not charging.?

quiz3, Sep 17, 6:14am
So just to clarify something here. Car has been in storage for 4 months, battery flat, so we put the charger on and after X minutes the red light then the orange glow, waited for the green light, nothing. Dissconected charger, car starts, only had time for a short run, put car away, next day would not start again so charger on again and this time only red light showing.
Question, what to do now or is battery completely had it?
If battery dead no problem but if someone has a good solution I would appreciate hearing it and would be very thankful.
Thanks in anticipation.

franc123, Sep 17, 6:20am
If its more than a couple of years old being flat for that long has probably killed it. You are going to have to charge it for more than a few minutes lol, it going to need 12-15 hrs minimum before coming to any conclusions about whether it needs replacing or not. If its calcium it really needs to be charged with an appropriate charger.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 6:26am
First of all-what you are doing with the charger.
A battery that is FLAT needs a lot more than a few-lot of MINUTES to recharge with most domestic chargers.
It needs several hours. That the battery was charged enough after minutes suggests it wasn't flat just part discharged.
So I would put the battery on charge for at least 12-24 hours.
Re the lights--Domestic chargers have three lights. Red indicates theres power coming from somewhere.Usually the plug but sometimes the battery is enough to light the red light up
Yellow means charging and green indicates fully charged.
in all honesty I reckon you didn't have the charger turned on second time around OR the terminals were a bit cruddy and you didn't have good contact.
The fact the green light wasn't on first time you charged the battery tells me you didn't fully charge the battery.
I suspect that the clock etc in the car were enough to discharge the battery overnight.
That said--Most likely the battery needs replacing but no harm in trying

johotech, Sep 17, 6:50am
As the battery wasn't used for 4 months, and probably sat there flat, it is more than likely it now has hard sulfation.

Check to see if the case of the battery has bulged at all. If so, it's stuffed.

quiz3, Sep 17, 6:57am
Further to first message. Sorry I should'vr been more specific, charger was on for more than 12 hours, second time alot longer but presently on and will stay that way for at least 24 hours. Orange light is now showing, good!
Yes the terminals are all clean and making a good connection and yes charger definitely on at the wall.
Anyway I will give you an update tomorrow and thankyou for input so far.

kazbanz, Sep 17, 7:33am
quiz--on the basis of your second post I'd say the battery is goosed Im sorry.--time for a new one

quiz3, Sep 21, 8:07pm
Yes here it is Monday 21st and further to the flat battery, yes we had to buy a new one, original shot.
All good though and hopefully many more years left in car and battery.
Cheers.

robotnik, Sep 21, 8:48pm
You might want to check out a C-Tek smart charger which comes with a desulphation function that may recondition dead batteries.

elect70, Sep 22, 1:57am
sometimes they can be bought back . Charge it slowly low amps for 24 hrs then discharge it with a hi amp load , recharge it again , after several cycles it may come back . Ihave done it on batteries that have sat for 3-4 months . It desulphates them

kenw1, Sep 22, 6:56am

neville48, Sep 23, 8:48am
Just spend the money on a new battery and forget about all the flash harry gadgets that you will probably never use again until six years down the track when your new battery is doing what your old battery is doing now. because its old.

jubre, May 15, 7:10pm
An auto electrician will check if the battery is any good, and charge a small fee to put it on a commercial charger for 24 hours.