4WD under 7.5k, other than a toyota?

Page 1 / 2
wsnownz, Jan 11, 5:57am
Looking for something for a relative, only really been looking at Toyotas because that's what I know. What else is worth a look? Diesel, similar to a surf.

monaro17, Jan 11, 6:12am
Nissan Terrano (the best especially with the 3.2 diesel, far better engine than a 1kz) Mitsubishi Challenger, Jeep Grand Cherokee.

lookoutas, Jan 11, 6:13am
Wait for it.

wsnownz, Jan 11, 6:15am
Wouldn't wish a Jeep upon my worst enemy, will check out Terranos. Anything in particular to look for? Cheers

jmma, Jan 11, 6:15am
There are better options out there (o:
But first we would need to roughly know what would it be used for, how many km,s per year etc?

serf407, Jan 11, 6:21am
4 door. Isuzu Big Horn or Isuzu Wizard. Off someone who has parked next to the river for fishing rather than taken it swimming across braided river channels etc.

wsnownz, Jan 11, 6:22am
Probably not many kms but will be used for skifields, towing the boat every now and then. He seems to be afraid of anything with over 200,000 ks on it

monaro17, Jan 11, 6:31am
well I hate to be the one who points it out but with $7500 to spend they wont be getting a low km SUV. 200,000kms will be nothing

bigmacca, Jan 11, 6:32am
good luck getting a decent 4x4 under 7500 and under 200000km. Im a Nissan fan thru and thru so would recommend the terrano as well. if serviced ok and hasn't done to much off roading they will go for a long time . the 2.7td/qd32 is no rocket but can be modded fairly easily , cheaply to give good torque without compromising reliability to much.

shorebee, Jan 11, 6:35am
sportage/tucson/sorento

rovercitroen, Jan 11, 6:37am
You can buy a 4WD Nissan Stagea wagon or Audi wagon for that money - or are you after an off-road type 4WD?

hfc2, Jan 11, 6:39am
Suzuki vitara.

ryanm2, Jan 11, 6:42am
Maybe even a 3 litre Subaru outback.

haventrader, Jan 11, 7:23am
I owned a Cherokee for many years. Never gave me a day's problem. Towed anything, went anywhere, and no heavier on fuel that a 3.0 v6 hilux - or any other petrol 4x4 bar a Suzuki Jimny. Sold it with about 250k on the clock and still see it occasionally around town.
I would go diesel if I was looking for another 4x4 though. Have you looked at the Discovery TDi's?

offrd1, Jan 11, 7:33am
ive had just about everything from very modified MU, vx land cruiser very modified just to name a couple,went to Jeeps in 2010 and have never looked back,far better than anything i ever had before and mine are thrashed to a inch of their lives,the running costs are far better than anything I've had before except for petrol,i now have a grand Cherokee Diesel which i'm loving,,the crap you hear on here is just that. terranos are pure shite thats why 4x4 crowd never touch them

offrd1, Jan 11, 7:36am
Yes,great little 4x4 . also be a good choice. lol

franc123, Jan 11, 7:39am
Depending on how heavy your boat is it sounds like you may as well just buy a Legacy wagon!

monaro17, Jan 11, 7:42am
Without deviating from the thread too much. The 2nd gen Terrano's were never designed for off road. They aren't a ladder chassis so aren't rugged bush wranglers.

They were the newer style of town 4wd with superior on road handling with some off road capabilities.

Terrano's are the one of the best type of vehicle of that era and to say they are crap is total and complete unfounded nonsense. They are very reliable and have some of the best powertrains of the mid 90s.

twincam1, Jan 11, 7:47am
Isuzu Mu 3.1 diesel. Terranos usually rotten under rear at that price.

bigmacca, Jan 11, 7:55am
man ive been ripped then. my 1st gen terrano isn't rotten, goes everywhere that a hilux will and paid under 4g. damit,

offrd1, Jan 11, 7:56am
m8 im talking 4x4ing here not popping down to the shop ,i've towed more bloody terronos out of the shite,sand etc than any 4x4 on earth. lol. they were just not that good off road. and not that reliable . AND yes i was silly enough to have owned one god knows why . lol BUT yes probably great for towing that horsey float

offrd1, Jan 11, 7:58am
had a very good run out of the old MU But in saying that there wasn't much MU left . lol. they are a good little wagon though .

xs1100, Jan 11, 8:01am
I ve got a Nissan pathfinder (nz new ) similar to a terrano absolutely brilliant had it for 14 yrs 360,000ks now mines a petrol manual but the td27t go for ever and seem to be just as good so long as you keep the services up.
basically not worth getting rid of now for as good as it is. hadn't been started for over a month been using company car walked out tonight threw dog in and it just started and took off.
highly recommend in 14 yrs besides tyres and oil changes only been 1 water pump and a clutch and a starter motor sweet az

monaro17, Jan 11, 8:08am
. and forgive me if I'm wrong but the OP is talking Ski fields and towing loads not hard core 4wding. I have owned 3 terranos over numerous years and have towed caravans and trailer up to and over 2000kgs with no reliability issues whatsoever.

If I was 4wding I wouldn't get a Terrano purely because they aren't designed for it. The fact you have towed many of them out of the "shite" etc is more of a reflection on their owners rather than the car

I digress. Getting back to the real thread, your friend will need to compromise on budget or his requirements.

offrd1, Jan 11, 8:15am
that is fare enough proberly good as for the ski field, if that's the case i would go for a 3.0 Subaru outback.they are perfect for that and very well built . very nice wagon actually . . and no not driver problem just hopeless off road