4WD under 7.5k, other than a toyota?

Page 2 / 2
xs1100, Jan 11, 8:21am
were the terranos set up for off road or did they just have oversize tyres and a snorkel and as monaro says were the owners just being overly kken seen heaps of terranos on shiney 4wd trips and never a problem

offrd1, Jan 11, 8:25am
they be good as for that. i was talking proper 4x4ing as that is all i have done. but each to their own. rav 4's go on shiny trips lol. i'm just not a terrano fan as I've seen so many give problems . mainly gear box's

xs1100, Jan 11, 8:38am
yes and ive seen plenty of hiluxs and surfs parked up and 3.0l surfs were well known for expensive head jobs along with 2L surfs and seen pathfinders set up for proper 4wd do well and rav 4s and Suzuki sj s go were no one else can. so

wsnownz, Jan 11, 8:54am
Alright guys, thanks for the all the ideas. I'm a Landcruiser man through and through so trying to suggest isuzus and jeeps goes against everything I believe in haha. Will mention Subaru Outbacks to them though because I think they're probably suitable. Cheers

phillip.weston, Jan 11, 7:28pm
The old 90s Cherokees are a damn good beast. They are actually decent off road and more advanced than you think. They pioneered the monocoque 4WD chassis while still retaining live axle diffs front and rear for great off-roading performance. They are super popular in the US and you can definitely see why.

klrider, Jan 11, 7:45pm
Fact is, everyone here can bleat about make and reliability until the cows come home. But getting a reliable 4WD at those K's for that money is more about the cars history than who made it (generally anyway). I have had a terrano, was great until it got stolen. Now have surf 3.4 quad cam model, love it just as much, 10 years and had a gearbox seal, and weekend just gone replaced a rod on the sway bar ($25 and some elbow skin). When I replace it, no time soon. I'll be looking for a wagon that seems to have been looked after as opposed to what badge its wearing.

budgel, Jan 11, 8:50pm
Its a shame it has to be diesel, a VW Passat 4motion would probably fit the bill quite nicely. Certainly worth considering if you are also looking at Subarus.
RUCs make diesel economy less appealing if you arent doing many K's.

intrade, Jan 11, 8:52pm
did you ever adjust your valve clearance on your mu?

offrd1, Feb 11, 12:18am
No . lol.