More lies from the road policing team.

Page 1 / 2
rob_man, Mar 28, 2:33am
Read this and tell me if a single word of it sounds like the truth.
https://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/summer-road-safety-research-shows-continued-support-speed-enforcement
The support figures are debatable but I seem to remember a summer of road carnage unseen since the 70s despite the lowered speed tolerance.
Who employs these people?

bwg11, Mar 28, 2:45am
Quote from the above link, "While Police issued an expected higher number of speed camera infringements over the two month period for those caught exceeding speed limits by 5km/h or more, only 33 tickets were issued by Police officers to motorists travelling at between 1-4km/h over the speed limit. This shows that staff are continuing to use their discretion appropriately."

So, "appropriate discretion" means ticketing those 1 - 4 kph over the posted limit in 33 cases? To me, this would indicate "inappropriate discretion", when a 4 kph tolerance is the norm.

whqqsh, Mar 28, 3:46am
I read about 6-7 paragraphs of waffle & spin & came to conclusion that Barney the Dinosaur & the Wiggles make more sense & are more believable

smac, Mar 28, 4:07am
I think perhaps you guys don't understand what you just read.

That article wasn't about whether or not people thought the reduced tolerance was a good idea or not, or whether it actually worked.

After the holiday period Police came under fire for the campaign being 'poorly understood'. What that article is saying is that a survey indicates (with the usual margins of error) that people did in fact understand the campaign (i.e. that there would be a reduced tolerance). It showed that people 'adjusted their behavior' (i.e. they slowed down).

Blinkers off guys.

elect70, Mar 28, 4:22am
^^ only after widespread confusion did they come out & say cops could use discretion , before that we all understood there was zero tolerance which is what they said origonally.

noswalg, Mar 28, 5:07am
What a joke, a survey of 501 people! How can 0.012% of the population be a true representation of the NZ public? I wonder how they "Randomly" selected these participants? Survey results are easily manipulated if you know who to target.

skin1235, Mar 28, 5:34am
no, no, the survey showed 95% of the people understood they were completely confused by the double jeopardy that passes as road policing in NZ

nightsky1, Mar 28, 6:12am
Read the article again to see how they reached a widespread audience.

Don't like the facts ?

No one really cares.

Speed ? Expect to donate some of your cash.
Up to you.

It's a simple message and a simple choice.
even a neanderthal could follow the clues on this one.

tintop, Mar 28, 8:51am
A sample of less than 500 says that Winston is going to win tomorrow.

Oh - and a sample of two or three knows who will win the cricket.

tintop, Mar 28, 8:54am
Their name is at the bottom - give them a ring :)

noswalg, Mar 28, 9:10am
I'm backing Winston all the way, just for the record!

tamarillo, Mar 28, 8:58pm
Well I did read again after this comment and now I think you need to please.
It does discuss the confusion, but also very clearly discusses public support for the campaign. They're using it to say public support this policy re speed limit enforcement.

321mat, Mar 29, 10:32am
The statement, "only 33 tickets were issued by Police officers to motorists travelling at between 1-4km/h over the speed limit. This shows that staff are continuing to use their discretion appropriately", shows that police are NOT using any discretion at all.

Honestly, getting ticketed for being 1 km/h over the limit?
That indicates plain greed.

And saying that a sample of 501 people being representative of all NZers?
That indicates absolute stupidity.

Unless the radars they're using are INDEPENDANTLY validated for accuracy EVERY day, then natural events such as weather changes, or even driving along a bumpy road could knock them out of alignment.

It's not speed that kills.
It's alcohol, drugs and risk taking.
This has been scientifically proven in Australia and elsewhere.

Why do we tolerate idiots which we pay via taxes to uphold the law?

cliffmate, Mar 29, 8:28pm
Public confidence of police seems to be at an all time low. When an incident is reported to them, they appear too stretched to follow up menial reports, which I understand. So, very few bad drivers actually get any penalty handed to them. The result? You only get in trouble if the police see you.

tintop, Mar 29, 10:16pm
Whooo! So much noise, so little thought.

klrider, Mar 31, 6:48pm
Clearly the meaning of discretion alludes you. If they had not used discretion then many more people would have been ticketed for 1-4 kph over the limit. If no one got a ticket for that speed, or every one did, then its unlikely discretion was used. As it stands, despite those desperately unhappy about Police being right in saying discretion was used, it seems it was. Never mind.

klrider, Mar 31, 6:55pm
Actually, public confidence in Police is very high, as always they score very well in the 'mood of the nation' surveys, you should look it up.

loose.unit8, Mar 31, 7:07pm
Have they done one lately?

smallwoods, Mar 31, 7:09pm
In the discretion stakes, I wonder how many different officers gave out tickets?
There were 33 tickets issued by how many officers?
Bet it wasn't 33 officers.

321mat, Apr 1, 12:16am
Why are they handing out tickets for 1 km/h over the limit, when they SHOULD be investigating/preventing real crime.

Is this yet more proof of the inherent laziness which infects the force?

tintop, Apr 1, 1:57am
Without knowing the actual circumstances of the 1km ticket - you are really grasping at straws.

Perhaps a ticket for an excess of 1km/h in a crowded 50kmph zone is an alternative to a dangerous driving charge in the actual conditions at the time ?
Strikes me that it would have been quite an efficient solution.

klrider, Apr 1, 6:56pm
Every year. look it up, you will be disappointed.

ree6, Apr 2, 3:44am
Traffic Enforcement and Investigations are almost entirely separate entities now.
Maybe your post is proof of your inherent laziness in checking the facts.

tintop, Apr 2, 3:55am
This :)

loose.unit8, Apr 2, 8:27am
Very surprised would be the word for it. Maybe they only interview old age pensioners