Brake problem

Page 1 / 2
sigvat1, Nov 30, 2:27am
hi guys need some help, my rear axle seal on my vw trike started to leak so i replaced it, had oil on
my brake shoes and drum so i cleaned this up with brake cleaner ( this is on my right side ) reasembled and adjusted it all up. now its pulling real bad to the left and locking up, its not safe to ride. what have i done wrong ?

kazbanz, Nov 30, 2:35am
You haven't touched the left side of the trike at all. Assuming that the right side brakes worked fine before you touched them then clearly its whatever you did there.
Cleaning the shoes and inside the drum PROPPERLY (no residue left) won't cause the issue. So either the brakes aren't bled properly or You have adjusted the cable wrong. OR maybe somethings not put together right. -Im guessing the whole drum had to come off to get to the seal

tatts2, Nov 30, 2:35am
you may have to replace the shoes once oil is on the lining they are usually stuffed

2get1, Nov 30, 2:37am
yeah I would go along with that, once oil has impregnated into the brake lining material you cant clean it out. New shoes are needed and you might aswell do both sides so you get even wear.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 2:39am
I tend to agree--except the OP seems to be indicating the brakes worked fine before he took them to bits.

sigvat1, Nov 30, 2:49am
brakes were working fine before they were taken to bits

2get1, Nov 30, 2:53am
you've either adjusted them wrong or put them together wrong ,did you mix up the leading and trailing shoes ?

atleast you have the untouched other side, so you can take the drum off,look at them and compare and see where you went wrong. Pays sometimes to take digital pictures before you pull to bits so you can refer back.

If all assembled correctly then sounds like an adjustment issue.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 2:54am
Ok so logic says its something you did.
Adjustment,bleeding if Hydraulc or cleanliness. (residual oil from the cleanup missed)

skull, Nov 30, 2:55am
You need to be certain you have reassembled them properly first. Sometimes you can show the brake shoes a bit of flame to release the oil and then more cleaning with brake cleaner. Then one toasted shoe on each side might even it up again. It seems odd that they weren't uneven before you did the oil seal though which points more towards an assembly problem.

sigvat1, Nov 30, 3:00am
i did all the work uinder the guidence of a mechanic friend i ran out of time so he finished the job.

intrade, Nov 30, 3:03am
sounds extreemly like assembled it wrong take both drums off and check on side you did not mess with what you seem to have done wrong .

kazbanz, Nov 30, 3:16am
Ok so how about you do the simplest check/test/adjust first.
jack the back end up and spin the left then the right wheel.See if the rotational resistance feels equal.
If not then adjust the right side brake adjustor till it feels equal.
Then take the trike for a VERY slow ride 100m or so and see if it feels better. if it does then great. If not then you need to look further.

snoopy221, Nov 30, 4:04am
mmmm reality is here a single lipped wheel cylnder seal that (Ya don't say if you removed the shoes to clean em) has had a bit of a wiggle jiggle and NOT been bled.
means air in brake-brakey no workie.

jmma, Nov 30, 4:31am
Removed the clamp from the brake hose ? (o:

kazbanz, Nov 30, 4:39am
Intrade/snoopy --ya may be right but why not try the simple stuff first?

ml6989, Nov 30, 6:15am
If the shoes have been removed have they been put back the correct way round, by that I mean are they leading and trailing?

kevymtnz, Nov 30, 6:26am
pulling left right not working
once oil is on the shoes or pads its replacement time
or ride slow and use brake off n on it may burn off the oil

sigvat1, Nov 30, 7:12am
shoes were not removed for cleaning i cleaned them in place. also just been told mechanic stripped left side as well as it had a siezed brake adjuster

kazbanz, Nov 30, 7:22am
crikey--then Im still guessing adjustment as first port of call

snoopy221, Nov 30, 7:53am
MMMKAY DAT'D BE DA SIDE DATS GOT DA SHOES ON DA WRONG FEET
Leading trailing reversed and yip it'll pull dat way
[rekon ya meknik-needs ta learn a bit]

snoopy221, Nov 30, 8:01am
Simple english version relating to leading/trailing.
Viewed from the top. the shoe in the forward direction of rotation is leading. AND. fr-
om the top rotational the lining has a gap.
I.E. Top 12.0clock leading shoe lining starts roughly at 2 pm and trailing shoe starts at 11 am
Kapeesh?

jmma, Nov 30, 8:22am
My clock is digital Lol (o:

snoopy221, Nov 30, 8:27am
L O L. But Cuzz
U noe da effective braking force on a self energizing leading shoe when the lining is an extra inch closer to the activator.
(Or. the lack of an extra inch-LOL)

jmma, Nov 30, 8:33am
Yep, Rollers had 2 trailing shoes for smoother braking!

franc123, Nov 30, 8:37am
Its probably still got oil soaked into the lining that needs smoking out. Bit of a flame kissing needed.