Brake problem

Page 2 / 2
snoopy221, Nov 30, 8:45am
To sigvat1.
Good on ya for taking on a home repair and having a mechanic on hand.
AND posting here after a problem.
Note a didgi cam and a few pics can make it easier to see before and after pics-and-allow forum posters here to REALLY see wazzzup.

ml6989, Nov 30, 9:31am
In the words of my Polytech tutor about 35 years ago: "The leading shoe is the first shoe in the direction of rotation after the point of application" Never forgot that line and it has stood me well over the years! But if they were not removed and assuming the last person installed them correctly then that is not the problem

sigvat1, Dec 1, 5:12am
both sides look the same to me. looks like i will be of the road for a bit untill i can find the money to pay someone. we have our school gala this saturday ( in pokeno ) they were going to raffle of a ride to school on the trike fore one of the kids . looks like that will not happen, theres no way we will have anyone on the back if its not safe. thanks for the advice guys much appreaceated

aj.2., Dec 1, 7:12am
Gear oil on brake shoes is hard top get rid of, if the linings are Riveted on then a flame will bring it to the surface, but Really you need new brake shoes.
Also some oil will get in the steel of the drum , yes may sound strange but metal is porous, and running a gas flame inside the drum will help, does not need to be red hot.
Brake cleaner will take surface oil off .
Also as others have said shoes on back to front , but you say they look the same, the leading shoe will have a longer section of brake lining, usually.
But have you checked the wheel cylinder ? is free and has good movement , that could be jamming , and so not giving even pulling .

sigvat1, Dec 1, 8:08am
brake shoes are bonded on, and are all the same length, so i can not tell which is the leading shoe.

snoopy221, Dec 1, 8:13am
Got a digital camera? pic of either side would help.
just upload to my pics-view in browser and copy and paste the web adress bar link.

jmma, Dec 1, 9:13am
Yes but the shoe facing the front should have a bigger gap at the top than the one facing the rear (o:

aj.2., Dec 1, 9:33am
Also the lining will be thinner on the leading ( front ) edge as that tends to wear down faster than the pivoting point part , and the Retainers will have left a mark , so you should be able to tell outside of shoe face .

kazbanz, Dec 1, 6:20pm
So did you try the simple test I suggested?
o the simplest check/test/adjust.
jack the back end up and spin the left then the right wheel.See if the rotational resistance feels equal.
If not then adjust the right side brake adjustor till it feels equal.
Then take the trike for a VERY slow ride 100m or so and see if it feels better. if it does then great. If not then you need to look further.

sigvat1, Dec 2, 5:26am
hi kazbanz, i did try that and no improvement

aj.2., Dec 2, 6:37am
OP, with the brake shoes on , get some one to gently press the brakes, and you check to see if the right hand wheel cylinder is moving freely , as it may be jammed up , or even a folded hose , or blocked hose , stopping it from working.

snoopy221, Dec 2, 6:49am
Pics pics. can ya do?

sigvat1, Dec 2, 7:33am
will have a go at pics tomorrow, not very pc savvy

snoopy221, Dec 2, 9:32am
kewl-take the pics-we can help ya out with getting them on here for sure.

intrade, Dec 2, 9:36am

intrade, Dec 2, 9:51am
just shot with nexus 5 in the dark
http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=2iph4fdk.w0u.jpg

aj.2., Dec 2, 9:53am
OP is dealing with a brake problem , not a clutch set up.

aj.2., Dec 2, 10:23am
And yes Intrade i did read other thread and understand you want to show the new parts that you got , but nothing to do with this thread .
Op has said he is not PC savy , and more of a fright he is not too savy about working on brakes , and thats the real worry .
Stopping is the most important part of motoring , tough if it won't go
But you sure as hell want to be able to Stop when you want to , any safely.

sigvat1, Dec 5, 2:41am
part of the problem solved, i have sorted the leaking problem. my own fault, when replaceing the axle seal i had some spare bearing covers, the opne i removed looked a bit rougth so i picked the best of the rest not realiseing it had a slightly deeper ridge, so was not tightning up as it should. went back to original and leak is gone. it was only a few mil and hardly noticable but made the difference. will be haveing new shoes bonded on next week as these ones are over sized. still have way to much pedal travel have bleed the brakes and adjusted them but no difference, they are adjusted equaly. it is stopping well but pedal is at its maxium travel

mrfxit, Dec 5, 4:12am
Used to fix a lot of vehicles "back then" with oil & brake fluid soaked shoes.
All we did was burn it off with the oxy/acet torch till they stopped smoking & give then a rub up with course sand paper
Never gave any problems

sigvat1, Jul 29, 9:04am
will that work with bonded shoes ?. ive heard of it being done on rivited shoes. i would be a bit worried of the glue burning.