Opinions on utes/suv to tow 3t

Page 1 / 2
lia20, Aug 6, 4:50am
What are peoples opinions on the below 4wds?
Been looking for something to tow 3tonne and there doesn't seem to be much out there.
Has to be auto, diesel, 4wd, 3L+ and newer than 2002 and under $30k
So far my list is
1 Landcruiser ( probably wont get one in my price range)
2 Ford Ranger
3 Holden Colerado
4 Nissan Navara
5 Mitsubishi Pajero

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 4:58am
VW Touareg. It's going to be one of the nicest, best appointed and luxurious vehicles to live with day to day as well.

It also has tow stability control which is a HUGE bonus for what you are doing and will save your butt like nothing else if something goes wrong or you have to take evasive action while towing.

They are also tremendously good value, low maintenance and parts are easily available and well priced for that segment.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 5:01am
Here is a good demonstration of the concept of trailer stability control, it's not VW's but it works in much the same fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNjRq46lDs

cagivachick1, Aug 6, 5:02am
i dont believe they mentioned the toerag on their list

lia20, Aug 6, 5:05am
I must admit I do like the Touareg but my mechanic said I probably wouldn't find a decent one in my price range so I had crossed it off

countrypete, Aug 6, 5:10am
A poster recently put this on the board
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/the-truth-about-3500kg- towing-52878?intref=sr-ed-news-

The Touareg may be nice to look at, and the tow stability is a benefit, but it is only a 2.0 litre engine, and in real world situations does not have the power and responsiveness you will need to tow a heavy load. There are other more suitable utes out there.

monaro17, Aug 6, 5:18am
And incidentally a friend of mine who replaced his BMW X5 with a one of these said it was the most god damn expensive car to service and keep maintained of all his cars- he traded the X5 in on it and always regretted it. He recently (2 maybe 3 years ago) traded it on a ranger wildtrak and rates the ranger well above the vw

taurus61, Aug 6, 5:21am
You may want to check your facts. The Touareg has many engine variants from a V10 to a V6 but a 2.0 litre is not one of them.

stevo2, Aug 6, 5:30am
Nor is it a "Ute"

msigg, Aug 6, 5:41am
Top is Landruiser, 2nd ranger,3rd nissan, 4th colerado, 5th mitsi. That's my order.

skull, Aug 6, 5:49am
But if we are being pedantic it is an SUV. It also was not on the list but that was ignored at post #2.

gunhand, Aug 6, 5:55am
AAAA, but was in title heading.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:19am
What on earth are you on about? Your link doesn't work and your post is straight out nonsense and lies. Why must you continually troll threads I post in with this rubbish?

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:20am
Here is another troll. one who didn't even bother to read the heading. Buzz off and stop being an idiot.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:21am
Here is yet another one. if you had comprehended what the OP was asking instead of rushing to troll with your mates you would have realised that they were asking for other suggestions to add to the list.

Sheeeesh. This place is like flipping kindergarten.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:22am
And another one. this poster does nothing but follow me around like a lost puppy and post this sort of nonsense. Where is your suggestion for the OP?

Grow up.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 6, 6:24am
You should easily be able to get a good one in your price range. If you are interested, I am happy to share/discuss what I know on the subject. But you will need to start a new thread asking for my advice by name and tell any of the trolls who appear in the thread to buzz off. I can't be bothered with there nonsense tonight. You can also no doubt guess why there are a lack of others giving sound advice, they generally give up after being harassed and don't bother. What you are left with are mostly car dealers and their mates. Who are more interested in heckling anyone who doesn't give their "approved" response than actually helping you.

Anyhow, the offer is there if you wish to take it up. Best of luck with whatever you get.

mm12345, Aug 6, 6:25am
For under $30k, then I'd be looking for an old model (3.0) Mazda BT50 and not worry about 4WD - unless you need it for some other reason (the 2WD are rated to 3.0T). Until very recently, most of the 2WD utes from other makers are not rated to 3T or more.
It will not be as economical as the newer utes incl the new BT50 etc, but IMO may be the best value out there at the moment.

Avoid manual transmission with these 4 cylinder diesel utes. Most (all?) have dual mass flywheels - Google will show you the disaster they can be - ie the Amarok - when towing heavy loads. An additional oil-cooler may be needed for A/T.

A mate of mine has been looking for used utes over the past 12 months. They aren't selling fast at the moment - so don't be afraid to low-ball offer private sellers. If you want to spend the whole $30k, look for private sales at prices up to about $37k and haggle.

taurus61, Aug 6, 6:36am
I believe the title of the thread is "opinions on utes/suv to tow 3t" so the op was requesting opinions on suv's.

cagivachick1, Aug 6, 7:08am
anything but a toerag fanboy

skiff1, Aug 6, 7:21am
I have a ranger, and regularly tow 2-3 tonne loads. The motor and brakes are good for it, but the tow ball is a long way from the dif and it takes a lot of concentration to keep it stable. I'm looking at an elevated hitch above the dif to make it a bit more pleasant to drive. The set up is no ether or worse than other utes, so whatever you get, it's worth considering.
The land cruiser is a tough machine, and they are getting nicer to drive, but they are bloody expensive.
Personally, I just dislike the Pajero. Around here, you almost never see men driving them.

skiff1, Aug 6, 7:26am
I'd would agree with most of this, except the need for auto. My ute has done 1/4 of a million km, and when we had the engine out 30k ago, the clutch was less than half worn.

mals69, Aug 6, 7:29am
Navara ! No show all go ! Tuff trucks - check out all the old nissans on here for sale - less other old makes cause most have shite themselves long ago.
(Toyota only other make to come close)
Toerag be lucky to last 2 decades - to complex more stuff to shite itself !

lia20, Aug 6, 7:40am
The Landcruiser Prados only tow 2.5t, only the straight landcruisers tow 3t unfortunately

mm12345, Aug 6, 7:46am
But are you towing heavy loads and does the vehicle have a DMF?