Opinions on utes/suv to tow 3t

Page 2 / 2
bwg11, Aug 6, 7:52am
Yes, but I would put the Disco 4. after the LandCruiser, and before the Ranger. (with the proviso that it was less than 5 years old and less than 100,000 kms.

johotech, Aug 6, 7:52am
I didn't check that. I did check the Nissan ST and it was 2500kg in automatic. But you probably already know that.

cagivachick1, Aug 6, 7:54am
because they are lemons

monaro17, Aug 6, 8:07am
Also- don't know if it has been said but do you hold a heavy vehicles category on your licence? If not you will need one

monaro17, Aug 6, 8:14am
because if you are towing 3T and typically your tow vehicle (for that weight such as a landcruiser etc ) would be over 2.5T and a couple of passengers and gear you would be sailing very very close or even above the 6T combined limit

johotech, Aug 6, 8:16am
So as long as they don't go above, then there isn't a problem.

monaro17, Aug 6, 8:17am
Well yes, yes I suppose if you look at it that way they are fine :)

johotech, Aug 6, 8:19am
I'm sure the rozzers have better things to do than weigh light passenger vehicles with trailers.

henderson_guy, Aug 6, 8:22am
You haven't had many dealings with the mermaids, have you? They'll stop any "commercial" vehicle.

lookoutas, Aug 6, 8:23am
The control freak has control of one thread, and he don't want you to intervene.
He wants you sacked so he can keep writing his book.

ema1, Aug 6, 8:29am
The thread you mention is a total smothering act comprising total and utter propaganda & B.S. and I can see it all turning to a serious case of tears if it gets taken up.
If that happens then I'll bet the support will amount to ZILCH or be a bottomless money pit.
Heck I'll say he's got the bit between the teeth for sure.

countrypete, Aug 6, 8:33am
Sorry, my bad, I read it as Amarok. No excuse.

countrypete, Aug 6, 8:39am
Calm down and take some more meds. You clearly need them. As stated I confused the toerag with the anorak - same applies anyway. The link works if you copy and paste the whole line.

ema1, Aug 6, 8:41am
I've had years of experience with the full size Land Cruisers both in driving and maintenance wise( serious maintenance too) they are my number one choice closely followed by Nissan Patrol as late a model as you can afford and 3rd the Ford Ranger, Range Rover worth a look too.
Otherwise in my opinion it's all going to end in tears.
40 plus years experience here. 18 of them nearly in the motor trade.
The terrain in the environs where I live are about the toughest proving ground for Proper 4WD towing vehicles and there aren't many that measure up believe me.
I know the ones that did and still do. period.

2sheddies, Aug 6, 8:56am
Agree with ema re Landcruiser. and good to see ya mate! :-) I don't know much about very modern ones, but the oldies (and Safaris too) sure as heck seem virtually indestructible and perfect for the task. obviously why so many get used for such purposes. Solid, simple, reliable. exactly what you need in this case. I worry about the gadgetry on anything too delicate or sophisticated being able to hold up under the harsh conditions and hard work we Kiwis like to put our wagons to, and ending up with megabucks in repairs.

tweake, Aug 6, 9:37am
just to add,
don't worry about vehicle tow ratings to much as they are not legal requirement.
3 ton trailer gets you really close to the 6 ton limit for car license.
while rare for cops to pull you over to check, they sometimes do target boaties at near boat ramps.
make sure you put decent braking on the trailer. i like brakes on both axles, single axle can lock up especially with small trailer tires.

manual/auto not really an issue. tho if auto check that it changes down gear when going downhill. that saves the brakes.

brapbrap8, Aug 6, 10:25am
I would look at a late model Mitsi Triton GLS manual.
$35k gets you a new one so $30k will get you a very low mileage one.

They have the benefit of full time 4wd, and are rated for 3 ton.
Tow 3 ton with mine regularly on some tough roads and have had no problems at all.

I wouldn't go for the Navara, I have a D40 STX as well, but the Triton is better I think.

Any Landcuiser in your budget will be very high KM, and Prados only tow 2.5ton and are gutless as.

mrcat1, Aug 6, 1:49pm
What you need to try and find is a Nissan STX 550, you may struggle for your budget but if you can extend your budget that would be the best truck for towing, they will tow 3500kg effortlessly all day long, the only thing you need to do is just watch the speed with them so I use cruise control most of the time with mine.
The big Nissan out performs any other ute on the market including the 70 series V8 cruiser, they have a 7 speed auto and 4wd.

skiff1, Aug 6, 9:06pm
yes and yes

kazbanz, Aug 6, 9:11pm
er um er yasee-- in and out of Dauckland they have been known to have weighstations on big holiday times

kazbanz, Aug 6, 9:13pm
lia--without hesitation I'd suggest a landcruiser

elect70, Nov 9, 1:15am
Used V10 diesel pull 3 tonne effortlessly .