Always a contentious issue.but cyclists.

Page 1 / 2
henderson_guy, Oct 11, 5:22am
"A proposed law change could see drivers fined for not giving cyclists adequate room when overtaking them" I can see this starting a whole shitstorm, but it's not the first time that half-arsed laws have been passed without the due research. Thoughts?
http://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/84157-proposed-new-cycle-passing-distance.html

extrayda, Oct 11, 5:39am
If cyclists stay off the roads where there is not sufficient space to pass them or they are holding up traffic that's ok.
I always give them room, mowing one down would be a horrendous experience (even worse for the cyclist).
I have seen them hit by crazy motorists and even helped one out with an insurance case (the car driver came straight out of a side road and nailed the bike - cyclist was fine fortunately).
It is a risk cycling on busy roads in Auckland, I *almost* pulled out in front of one at a roundabout who I didn't see until the last moment - early morning half light so hard to see. He was wearing Hi-viz jacket and had a light too.

extrayda, Oct 11, 5:40am
Courtesy on both sides would solve most of the problems I think.

henderson_guy, Oct 11, 5:44am
Couldn't agree more.

attitudedesignz, Oct 11, 5:54am
Ok, picture this.

Car driver comes up behind cyclist on a road with double yellow centre line, lane's not wide enough to give cyclist 1.5m so driver stays behind cyclist, double yellow goes for 2 or 3 kms. So now 1 cyclist and 10 cars are doing 22 kph on a main road for 3 kms.

Now if a cop sees this, who's getting the ticket for traveling too slow and holding up the flow of traffic?

Just about bet my left one it won't be the one in lycra. pffft.

wind.turbine, Oct 11, 6:14am
I agree that both drivers and cyclists need to have a bit of courtesy for each other.

came across 2 while going around windy corners and I was towing a 2.5M wide trailer at the time so was no way going to attempt to pass even though I had 3 cars behind me giving me road rage.
got to the bottom and they pulled in to a drive way to let me pass. not an issue.

Another one last week had a 2M+ sealed shoulder to ride on yet was riding along the white line and as it was a double yellow line I could not pass. yet if he was over on the shoulder, I could have passed and everyone would be happy

brapbrap8, Oct 11, 6:55am
Drivers are going to have to get used to cyclists at some stage. I'm sure when petrol cracks $5 a litre there will be a fair few more of them around.

poppy62, Oct 11, 6:59am
Compulsory single file is a must, sick of coming up on a bunch of cyclists (rural 100kph roads ) two / three abreast oblivious to everything else around them. They often swerve out to miss bumps/ potholes etc without a care what's coming up behind them. What irritates me most of all is the fact that most of these cyclists are bound to be vehicle drivers as well, so surely they should be well versed into biking safely.

cammey, Oct 11, 7:01am
If you can't pass safely, then you should wait until you can. Looks like the law is going to put a number on that idea "safely" meaning 1.5 m. Sounds entirely fair to me. If women are being raped in the park, do you (a) ban women from the park, or (b) ban men from the park. Both approaches will stop the rapes. Same here. If trucks can't co exist on narrow roads with cyclists, motorcyclists or slow cars then the solution seems simple.

henderson_guy, Oct 11, 7:05am
Ban trucks from the road? Good luck to ya!

loose.unit8, Oct 11, 7:05am
Slow motorists must pull over if they are impeding people to let them pass. If this 1.5m rule comes in then that same law must apply to cyclists.

sossie1, Oct 11, 7:06am
single lane, single file should be the rule. I have the same problem as poppy62 on the road out to Banks Peninsula. The majority of cyclists are great, but you come across the ones that want to chat as they are cycling.

It would be like me and a friend driving our cars next to each other so we can yell out the windows.

I cycle as well on my mountain bike almost daily, so i'm no anti-cycling.

cammey, Oct 11, 7:08am
It was a bit tongue in cheek.

But in some parts of the EU, a truck driver that injures a cyclist may find himself sans licence for many years. The problem seems to be that your view of safety changes as your vehicle gets bigger.

henderson_guy, Oct 11, 7:14am
Well yes, a driver, ANY driver that injures a cyclist (Or other motorist or pedestrian for that matter) if found to be at fault should face repercussions. HOWEVER my view is and has always been that there are several roads that are unsuitable for cyclists. generally these are narrow, heavily trafficked, open road speed posted roads. It's just a nasty mix that IMO is just asking for trouble. To use your analogy again. it's like a woman going into an unlit park in a rough part of town on a saturday night blind drunk and alone. generally not a good idea.

redhead96, Oct 11, 7:18am
Can't see how some motorists would be able to measure this distance.
As some can't even park between 2 white lines.
And the ones that can't move to the middle white line when turning right so that a car turning left can fit to it's left.

stevo2, Oct 11, 7:33am
In general, the commuting cyclists are fine.
the mum and Dad cruiser cyclists are fine.
The lycra wearing group cyclists around here ride in packs and are quite happy to take the whole lane.
They avoid the cycle lanes because their skinny tyres puncture easily, so they ride in the vehicle lanes.

twink19, Oct 11, 7:44am
followed a group of cyclists just out of Taramanui last Saturday, about 8 in the pack, took up all of one lane and at time most of the other lane, shame my video didn't work, took about 15 km to get past them, they were not moving for any one.

rover79, Oct 11, 8:09am
How can you keep 1.5m from a bike on a busy road.

pf, Oct 11, 8:10am
cyclists who think they have more rights that motorised vehicles that have to be registered, warranted / COF'd, and driven by a licenced driver . are a PITA .

loose.unit8, Oct 11, 10:28am
Just saw this on imgur http://imgur.com/gallery/hCPrjcA

pandai, Oct 11, 10:30am
I drive everywhere, but road cycle recreationally as well.

I hate holding cars up, I don't like annoying people, and it makes me nervous. If I am holding people up on my bike, I will either pull off the road when I can, or I will wave them past when I think they should be overtaking me. I don't ride two-abreast, either.

Most of the lycra-clad cyclists will have cars, and saying that they should pay road tax is stupid really, roads are made to be used by a variety of vehicles, bikes included.

I am a fan of the 1.5m passing rule, I have found drivers in 100k zones to be typically courteous anyway (giving me more space than they need to). As a cyclist I actually find people cutting me off (for example toward the left turning lane at intersections), or pulling out in front of me (from side streets on the left and right) to give me bigger frights than the cars passing me.

Oh, and the drivers that throw their door open into the cycle lane, without thinking.

As a driver, I am happy to wait for as long as I need to in order to safety pass a cyclist. I don't care if I am the lead car holding up all the other drivers. The fact remains that drivers all have a blanket of safety when they drive their cars, but bicycle (and motorcycle) road users are extremely vulnerable and it takes only a little mistake to injure somebody.

motig, Oct 11, 5:54pm
The biggest problem is that most of our existing roads were not designed with cyclists in mind . Consequently trying to fit cycle lanes in becomes a disaster as there is not the room to do so safely without squeezing other vehicles into a smaller space so really cycle lanes and minimum passing distances can really only come into effect on new roading when allowance can be made.

loose.unit8, Oct 11, 6:59pm
That they also own a car is irrelevent. I can't just say that when i ride my motorbike, even though I can only drive one at a time.

trogedon, Oct 11, 7:26pm
Did you think to toot at them or did you just sit there passively so you could come here and complain?!

trogedon, Oct 11, 7:29pm
Most of our existing roads (old roads) were designed pre motorcars. They were designed (or just formed) for horses, horse and carts and bicycles.